Here is a "frightening" list | Golden Skate

Here is a "frightening" list

L

LADSKATER

Here is a "frightening" list

I especially thought of Fetal (maybe he/she has a "fear of religion").

Scary! The World's Strangest Phobias

Phobias, which often begin when we are children, are irrational fears that are so intense they become disabling. Why are the names so unpronounceable and bizarre? And who knew these phobias even existed?

Fear of Body Parts
Opening one's eyes: Optophobia
Chins: Geniophobia
Hands: Chirophobia
Knees: Genuphobia
Getting wrinkles: Rhytiphobia
Becoming bald: Phalacrophobia
Bald people: Peladophobia

Check These Out:
• WebMD: Phobias
• Books on Phobias
• Oddly Enough News
• Wacky Warnings: Are We That Dumb?
• News of the Weird
• Crazy Classified Ads
• Urban Legends
Fear of Life's Joys
Feeling pleasure: Hedonophobia
Laughter: Geliophobia
Falling in love: Philophobia
Kissing: Philemaphobia or Philematophobia
Marriage: Gamophobia
Music: Melophobia
Flutes: Aulophobia
Poetry: Metrophobia
Theaters: Theatrophobia
Clowns: Coulrophobia
Dancing: Chorophobia
Hearing good news: Euphobia
Flowers: Anthrophobia or Anthophobia
Books: Bibliophobia

Fear of Religion
God: Zeusophobia
Church: Ecclesiophobia
Crosses or the crucifix: Staurophobia
Holy things: Hagiophobia
Priests or sacred things: Hierophobia
Religious ceremonies: Teleophobia
Sermons: Homilophobia
Theology: Theologicophobia
Satan: Satanophobia
Sin: Hamartophobia
Hell: Hadephobia, Stygiophobia or Stigiophobia

Food Fears
Dining or dinner conversations: Deipnophobia
Food or eating: Sitophobia or Sitiophobia
Meat- Carnophobia
Mushrooms- Mycophobia
Peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth- Arachibutyrophobia
Garlic- Alliumphobia

Fear of Colors
Purple: Porphyrophobia
Red: Erythrophobia, Erytophobia or Ereuthophobia
Yellow: Xanthophobia
White: Leukophobia
Colors: Chromophobia or Chromatophobia

Fear of Work
Work: Ergophobia or Ponophobia
Learning: Sophophobia
Imperfection: Atelophobia
Knowledge: Gnosiophobia or Epistemophobia
Computers or working on computers: Cyberphobia
Opinions: Allodoxaphobia
Expressing opinions: Doxophobia

Fear of Animals
Dogs: Cynophobia
Cats: Aclurophobia, Ailurophobia, Elurophobia, Felinophobia, Galeophobia, or Gatophobia
Horses: Equinophobia or Hippophobia
Mice: Musophobia, Murophobia or Suriphobia
Spiders: Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia
Toads: Bufonophobia
Wild animals: Agrizoophobia
Bees: Apiphobia or Melissophobia
Ants: Myrmecophobia

Fear of Weather
Sunshine: Phengophobia
Ice or frost: Pagophobia
Ice, frost or extreme cold: Cryophobia
Thunderstorm: Brontophobia

Credit for this list of phobias goes to The Phobia List Web site, which has done an extraordinary job of identifying hundreds of different phobias. Phobias are tough to crack. WebMD says that while a phobic person understands that the fear is excessive or groundless, efforts to resist it only bring on more anxiety. If a phobia not treated, the person may become withdrawn, depressed, and socially incapacitated.

--Cathryn Conroy

Ladskater

R

rgirl181

Re: Here is a "frightening" list

I'd check out the phobia sites, but I'm afraid;)

Seriously, I have a friend whom I've known since college who has/had a serious snake phobia. Our freshman year at college, we were at a Thanksgiving dinner and this woman, Jane, was just flipping through a book. All of a sudden the book went flying out of her hands and she was sitting there just shaking. Of course we were all stunned. We asked what was wrong and Jane said, "I don't know. I think there may be a picture of a snake in that book." Indeed there was, but as Jane remembered it, she never saw the photo. She probably caught a glimpse of the photo as she was turning the page, but the phobia was so strong that she reacted instinctually before she realized cognitively what she had seen. Years later she went to a therapist who went through a whole treatment. Jane still hates snakes but at least now she can see one, if she knows she's going to see it, and not freak out.

Humans are strange creatures.

Interesting list. Thanks, Lad.
Rgirl

R

RealtorGal

I can understand that snake thing, but fear of music? poetry? theater? hearing good news?:eek:

H

heyang

I can't remember the exact word because it's difficult to spell - but there is a phobia for the # 13. I'll try to look it up later.

F

FetalAttraction

I am afraid of religion, it spreads paranoia and ignorance, holds back human progress, and makes tacky TV shows. That's why I'm destroying it:D .

J

Joesitz

Fear of Performing? e.g., speaking, skating, dancing, singing (all in front of an audience). What's it called besides stage fright?

Joe

N

nysk8r

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I can't remember the exact word because it's difficult to spell - but there is a phobia for the # 13. I'll try to look it up later[/quote]

Trisadekaphobia- fear of the number thirteen. I love the sound of that word.

(About a 99% chance that I spelled that wrong)

H

heyang

Thanks NYSK8R.

My cousin has a fear of heights. He couldn't go up to the top of a fort (3rd floor) because of his fears. My ex-boyfriend also has a moderate fear of heights - had a problem looking over the side of the stairs going up to his 3rd floor condo.

On the other hand, I'm the one who will walk right up to the edge and look over as long as the ground looks secure. My friends are always horrified. People stared at me when I sat up on the railing of the Grand Canyon.

I do have a thing about stairs. You'll seldom see me running ful tilt downstairs because I worry about the potential fall.

N

nysk8r

I have the same fear of stairs, especially when I'm exiting the elevated train station- those stairs look to me as if they're 100 years old! :( :( :(

L

LADSKATER

Ah, but Fetal - you are not seeing what the Bible (not religion) really has to offer.

Ladskater

H

heyang

But no one wants to clutch stair railings in the NYC subway system. Otherwise, my hand is on the railing.

L

LADSKATER

My fears include:

Taking elevators (what if it gets stuck between floor?)

Driving in fog (what if I can't see and get disoriented?)

Driving in heavy traffic (I had an accident- now I suffer from driving anxiety)

Public speaking (too self-conscious)

Job interviews (Oh boy - where is the exit?!)

Approaching figures of authority (like bosses!)

Social settings - at first I feel uncomfortable

Ladskater

L

LADSKATER

D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

"Don't Worry Be Happy"

Ladskater

G

Grgranny

How about printing all the good things in the Bible instead.

L

LADSKATER

Grgranny :

My sentiments Grgranny!!:D

F

FetalAttraction

Yeah, let's ignore all the irrational, insane, genocidal, murderous, disgusting, repulsive, immoral, degenerate parts of the Bible, and pretend it's a happy, sunshining guide to life. Hallelujah!

P

Ptichka

Fetal, Bible is so amazing <em>precisely</em> because it is not a happy love-your-neighbor book (I'm talking about the Old Testament here). Despite what is taught in Sunday school throughout, it is a truly amazing tale of jealousy (including one from G-d), war, greed, love... you name it! And it was written quite a while ago. Most of the stuff Soap Operas come up with nowadays is really nothing new, you can find it all in the Bible. If anything, I think it is an amazing record of the evolution of peoples' morals over a few centuries. If you look at it from a historical, not a religious point of view, it is probably the most interesting book every written.

As for religions... my philosophy is "live and let live". By "let live" I mean don't try to influence politics (such as try to outlaw abortions, make US withhold funds from International HIV prevention programs because they advocate condoms, etc.); do not post the Commandments in public schools, courts, etc.; do not get any special treatment from the law, nor any special tax dispensations. Do that, and we will get along just fine. :)

For my part, I will respect whatever everyone believes in, just as long as I don't have to believe it as well. I will not mock anybody's beliefs, just as long as nobody is mocking mine. I will not force atheism on anyone (and not only because I am not entirely an atheist), just as long as nobody is forcing their religions on me.

Once there was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled.
This time is called the Dark Ages.
-Groucho Marx