Were any Skaters harmed by the Fires in Arrowhead? | Golden Skate

Were any Skaters harmed by the Fires in Arrowhead?

There is a topic on the Fires in Le Cafe, but I am asking the figure skating question here. I and I believe many others would like to hear some news from our California fans. Arutunian? for example.

Joe

floskate

On the Ice
I've read elsewhere that Mao and Jeff Buttle are currently training in Orange County with Arutunian, but there are fires there too I believe, so I think it would be better for them to either head for Quebec or for Mao to go to Skate America with Mai. Surely under the circumstances she'd be able to get some training time?

Not the best preparation for the new season - it has to be a worry for them all :frown:

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yeah, not exactly the kind of thing you want to happen in the middle of pre-season training. I know that Christa Fassi's home in Escondido, CA was in danger last time I heard. She was not avablibe to any of her students this week.

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Mandatory Evacuations in Lake Arrowhead

Joesitz -

from the LA Times Tuesday 10/2310pm:

"All of Lake Arrowhead and several surrounding communities were under mandatory evacuation orders late Tuesday."

There are lots of homes destroyed in this area; I'm looking for hard numbers, but the general area is almost completely evacuated. Here's info on the Ice Rink:

"The Blue Jay Ice Castle, at North Bay Road and Calif. near Lake Arrowhead Village, is a training site for world champion Michelle Kwan and boasts Olympic gold medalist Robin Cousins on its staff."

I'm sure the whole mountain community has been evacuated. So so sad. If anyone wants to move to Southern California, common sense dictates you should not buy a dream home in the mountains!

We've had a 2 year drought, and I undertand why people want to live in the woods, but its simply not worth the danger - too many fires in too few years.

We'll be ok, but people will want to rebuild in dangerous outlying areas, and many folks are realizing that the days of building anywhere we damn well please are over. Yes, we have earthquakes here, but they are not nearly as destructive as big forest fires!

Tenorguy

gsrossano

Final Flight
Wed morning, 11 AM PST

Winds have dropped some and the hope is some progress on containing the two Lake Arrowhead fires can be made today. A major concern is developing that the two fires could merge, which would be a major disaster for the community.

LA Time reports no new structures burned overnight, so the rink and surrounding neighborhood are still standing. The village is full of smoke and fire resources are staged at the high school about 1/5 mile from the rink. Most recent fire maps from satellite images show the Grass Valley fire has major activity to north west moving into uninhabited region, but rest of the area is still seriously at risk. The second fire is creeping towards Lake Arrowhead. 24 hours ago it was about 6 miles away. Now it is about 3.

Rink in Escondido does not seem to be in immediate risk. Rink in San Diego where Coast will be held is not at risk.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
We'll be ok, but people will want to rebuild in dangerous outlying areas, and many folks are realizing that the days of building anywhere we damn well please are over. Yes, we have earthquakes here, but they are not nearly as destructive as big forest fires!

Tenorguy

technically that depends on where you build... as the earth quake up here in the 60s proved... and now they're releasing "Earthquake Park" for rebuilding. Yup, sand, and clay... the same stuff as 40 years ago that 'melted' into the ocean... best place to build a house on when we get many earthquakes every day *smacks forehead*

Tenorguy

On the Ice
Duh!

Building in Earthquake park? Smart move :cool:

I can maybe understand when a city like San Francisco needs to rebuild the Marina district after the 1989 quake: the entire area was created from swamp land to support the 1904 Worlds Faire. All quicksand, water, clay as you say .... but SF is a tiny city and they need every square foot of land.

Now in Alaska, I can't imagine why they would need to build on areas so easily shaken.

I wonder where Michelle, Artunian, Asada and Buttle are right now? I know they must have left Arrowhead by now. I'm hoping so...

BTW Tonichelle, I had a former roomate you lived through the 60 quake. Did it really shake for 4 minutes? Were you in it?

redhotcoach

On the Ice
I was training at Ice Castles in Lake Arrowhead the last time there was a major evacuation and fires -- the mountain was surrounded but we didn't have to leave the rink area. However, the Blue Jay rink mentioned above by a poster - was located in Blue Jay - burned down the next year. The rink where Michelle, Mao and Jeff train is the main Ice Castles rink in Lake Arrowhead. The glow of the fires at night was surreal as was the sound of water bombers and helicopters fighting the blazes. We finally left the mountain - took 15 minutes from top to desert floor. I think Roseanne Barr had a house in Lake Arrowhead at the time which was in danger of burning.

It was strange skating inside the rink - while the smoke and noise continued to rise outside.

Fires in the desert are incredibly hot and windy - and huge. The wind changes in a flash - and so does the direction of the blaze - totally out of man's control.

I hope the rink in Lake Arrowhead is not touched .

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Oh thank god that none of the skaters were harmed by the fires. The minute I heard Lake Arrowhead on CNN, I was like "Oh no". Thank god.:bow:

Let's hope this doesn't really affect the training of Mao Asada and Jeffrey Buttle

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Building in Earthquake park? Smart move :cool:

There's a small piece of land here where I live that was created by a hurricane, and people have built homes and condos on it . It just doesn't seem very smart to build a home on something that was created by a hurricane.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Now in Alaska, I can't imagine why they would need to build on areas so easily shaken.

Well in Anchorage, which is where Earthquake park is located we have the Mountains and we have the Cook Inlet... there's only so much space we have... Alaskans like land... but then Anchorage isn't exactly Alaska to most Alaskans ;) we are starting to see houses on top of houses here... it's that stupid modern city mentality... if I could get my degree at the Kenai college I would be down home where there's land a plenty...

anyway that's basically the reasoning (it also has amazing ocean views so apparently the overly rich are willingly stupid too lol)

BTW Tonichelle, I had a former roomate you lived through the 60 quake. Did it really shake for 4 minutes? Were you in it?

I was not alive in the 60s... my parents weren't even married to each other yet lol ... my mom moved up the year after the 'quake IIRC... I didn't make my appearance till 85 lol

but we did have an earthquake a few years ago that tore up a lot of the Al-Can highway that lasted a good four minutes (I know because it started a few seconds into Michael Weiss' LP lol) and it actually made me seasick (it was a rolling/wave quake, not a shaker, the first that I can actually remember)

We were at least 12 hours away from the epicenter... so it was a pretty strong quake...

I love riding them out (however if a tsunami were to follow my parents would have ocean front property lol)