Yagudin's comeback a question mark | Golden Skate

Yagudin's comeback a question mark

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I never took it seriously in the first place. To me the whole idea and rumour was a joke, and if he did comeback I wouldnt give him a second thought as a competive threat, I would only worry about his health and safety.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
well i was STUNNED when I first heard he was coming back. Not surprised that he won't be coming back at all. i mean he has been out for YEARS and has been injured. This is crazy though, between him and Plushy and the "i'm back", then "no, not really"

tae04

On the Ice
I doubt his body will allow him to return. If so, it seems hopeful since Cinquanta said the ISU would consider it. Skating is down in money and ratings, so I'm sure he would love Plushenko and Yagudin to return.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, $peedy will probably let him come back -- but more to frame him for whacking Plush (or the other way around) than for anything else.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I still find it amazing any of you take this comeback seriously. Plushenko I could imagine possibly, but Yagudin at this point. :chorus:

Unless we really get a few special skaters at 2008 and 2009 Worlds and all the GPs in between, to get people talking about greatness (not just medals) we should welcome back Yags and Plush to keep interest in skating moving on.

The present 3 Senior Men may present something special this coming season.

Mao and YuNa are special but need more hype in America and Europe. JMO

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
Well, I think it's always been in question (and Plushenko's as well). But if they feel able to, and can honestly be competitive, well, so be it, welcome back.

Just don't see it happening.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yagudin's new hip is not designed to handle the kind of pounding a return to eligible skating would entail. If he gets clearance from the ISU and actually tries to get in competitive shape, he will find that out soon enough, and will wind up having to have yet another surgery and a second hip replacement.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Yagudin's new hip is not designed to handle the kind of pounding a return to eligible skating would entail. If he gets clearance from the ISU and actually tries to get in competitive shape, he will find that out soon enough, and will wind up having to have yet another surgery and a second hip replacement.

I agree. I would be concerned about his health and safety if he tried to return more then anything.

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Thank you, SailorGalaxia.

I note that Goryachkin points out that Cinquanta has already indicated that if the Russian Federation petitions the ISU for Yagudin's reinstatement, "they will consider it".

I also note that the last words of the article are: "Instead, he will turn his attention to complete recuperation and conditioning." That sounds to me as if Alexei is still working on developing a competitive physique again.

I, too, worry because of what has been said about the intended usage of the titanium implant, and I care very much about Alexei's health. However, there is a saying: "The difficult we do immediately. The impossible takes a little longer."

Alexei has already done the difficult, in returning to perform on the ice far sooner than was expected, and if anybody can do the impossible, that person is Alexei Yagudin.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
However, there is a saying: "The difficult we do immediately. The impossible takes a little longer."

Alexei has already done the difficult, in returning to perform on the ice far sooner than was expected, and if anybody can do the impossible, that person is Alexei Yagudin.

The problem isn't Alexei. The problem is his hip replacement was intended to allow him to move and walk normally, without pain. It was NOT designed to withstand the strain of repetitious 3As and quads.

He may want to do the hard work of reconditioning his body for competitive skating, but he is not recognizing the limitations of his replacement parts.

There was a story on one of the health channels about a man who had been born without legs. Instead of using his legs to get around, he "walks" with his arms, and has built a career installing phone lines (the overhead variety). But doctors are warning him that his shoulders are deteriorating from overuse. They told him they could replace his shoulder joints with artificial joints, but if they did and he continued to overuse his shoulders, the joints could break down completely and he wouldn't have the use of his arms at all.

I am sure Yagudin's doctors have told him that there are limitations to what he can do with his new hip, but he thinks because he no longer has pain, that the sky is the limit.