Is Sasha popular in Europe? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Sasha popular in Europe?

J

Jaana

Re: Eltamina

>I think with Sasha and Finlandia its more of a location thing. From what I've seen/heard, Finland doesn't have a huge skating fan base (although Worlds 99 were there and They have a strong group of ladies on the rise),and is a bit isolated from the rest of the skating world, so maybe when someone like Sasha comes along for the Finlandia Competition, its a big deal. >

Well, yes, we had Worlds in 1999, so there has been great skating to be seen rather recently... Anyway, Sasha was not at all known as she came on the ice in Finlandia Trophy (got very little applause), her skating won the audience totally over. And of course here as well as in other countries the local skaters get supported well. And in recent past some were supported even when there was not much reason for that, in my opinion, LOL.

Neither is Sweden such a big skating country, perhaps, but what a fantastic audience there was in Europeans 2003!!! It was even clear for those who watched it on TV. They supported each skater loudly, also those who were very far from the top.

Marjaana

J

Joesitz

Re: Large Audiences

I think holding a Worlds in Europe does gather a huge crowd whether or not the country is interested in figure skating or not.

There are devotees from everywhere and those that can afford the trip will go - more than enough to fill the arena. In Europe there as so many countries the travel is less costly.

Joe

B

ballerinagrl

Is Sasha popular in Europe?

I'm half Russian, half English/Italian. My base tends to be in England, when I'm not touring or dancing with a foreign company ...

And I love Sasha's skating, but I also love MK's - especially what she produced this last season. I watched MK in her first worlds at the NEC, Birmingham. She was tiny and wonderful, and I've loved her skating ever since. I love Sasha's skating because of her bravura style, her grace and extension. I love the fact she's doing something different to the other girls. I wasn't a big fan of Sarah's skating, but I loved Sarah regardless. I'm longing to see AP Mcdonough and Ye Bin Mok, because I've heard so much good stuff about these too. I enjoy Fumie's skating, and Shizuka Arakawa's, Irina's, Dan Fang's, Yukina Ota's, and I'm excited about Carolina Kostner and Miki Ando.

I don't think being European affects which skaters I support. I support those who hit the right buttons for me, I guess.

In the pro ranks I love Oksana, Tara and Kristi ...

Best, Lilia

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re: Is Sasha popular in Europe?

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>I don't think being European affects which skaters I support. I support those who hit the right buttons for me, I guess.[/quote]

ITA. Well put.