Caroline Zhang practice session <3 | Golden Skate

Caroline Zhang practice session <3

feraina

Record Breaker
Hey, cool!

Who was it that said she hasn't used a 3S in programs for years and rarely practices it?!

Awesome. I'm looking forward to that 7-triple LP tomorrow. :love::love::love:

I hope in the actual program, she'll put in a bit more speed though. She looked pretty slow there. Hopefully it was just all the other people she had to look out for, and she seemed not to pay much attention to anything but the placement & execution of jumps there on the whole.

Go Caroline!

Andalusia

Final Flight
Argh, I thought the practices were free. I signed up for the free registration yesterday and was able to view the men's practices. Now I can't view the others - when I try, it says that I have to register for a subscription. I'm itching to see what Caroline can do. Anyone know how to bypass this problem?

Thanks in advance.

carolinefan177

On the Ice
Argh, I thought the practices were free. I signed up for the free registration yesterday and was able to view the men's practices. Now I can't view the others - when I try, it says that I have to register for a subscription. I'm itching to see what Caroline can do. Anyone know how to bypass this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Icenetwork can be dumb somtimes. I had to sign up again to get it to start working properly.

Good Luck!

feraina

Record Breaker
It baffles me how Caroline can land those triples, especially the 3/3. She's just skating so softly and casually, like taking a stroll in a park, and suddenly she's up in the air, and before you know it, she's landed the triple, and casually stroking around again. Hardly any speed going in, less coming out. And the jumps really aren't that high, yet they're fully rotated...

The music being so heavy and slow furthers the casual-stroll impression. That 3/3 was placed in a part of the music with no emphasis whatsoever. Hopefully the music picks up as the practice video is ending (I did hear the violin coming in on the higher register), and blossoms into something a little more exciting. I think more dramatic excitement is what Caroline needs in her programs, not more lyricism -- she already has that naturally in spades.

I wouldn't mind if they tweaked with the music selection to make it more exciting from the start, and have it open with a bang just where the 3/3 is!

netnuts

Match Penalty
It baffles me how Caroline can land those triples, especially the 3/3. She's just skating so softly and casually, like taking a stroll in a park, and suddenly she's up in the air, and before you know it, she's landed the triple, and casually stroking around again. Hardly any speed going in, less coming out. And the jumps really aren't that high, yet they're fully rotated...

The music being so heavy and slow furthers the casual-stroll impression. That 3/3 was placed in a part of the music with no emphasis whatsoever. Hopefully the music picks up as the practice video is ending (I did hear the violin coming in on the higher register), and blossoms into something a little more exciting. I think more dramatic excitement is what Caroline needs in her programs, not more lyricism -- she already has that naturally in spades.

I wouldn't mind if they tweaked with the music selection to make it more exciting from the start, and have it open with a bang just where the 3/3 is!

I think she needs to focus on get 7 triples consistent first. The artistry side can always develop over the long haul. The technical side, however, only has a very small window. She has to get 3+3, 3S consistent before puberty monster strikes. Look at Mirai... Her jump consistency has been deteriorating dramatically over only a few months, and there's no way she can go for difficult 3+3 during this period.

I agree Caroline appears to be quite slow in that clip.

Andalusia

Final Flight
In case anyone else is experiencing it, I found a way to overcome the problem. Just clear your cookies et al. and re-register. Rinse and repeat whenever you encounter the problem. Be sure to have a large supply of e-mail addresses. Lol.

ITA with you feraina, she seems to do the 3/3 so easily. Not high, but it looks gorgeous and so, so smooth. I love the instrumentation of this 'Ave Maria'; it's very mature and I hope she can do justice to it. She still seems awfully slow, and I don't think this deficiency is exclusive to this practice - she needs to improve her speed, polish the lutz and flip technique, and increase the size of that double axel. Mao'll be eating out of Caroline's hand then, and hey, Caroline now has that salchow and toe loop which Mao doesn't!

Oh yeah, but Mao has that darn triple axel...drat...:p

feraina

Record Breaker
I think she needs to focus on get 7 triples consistent first. The artistry side can always develop over the long haul.

That's a good point. It did occur to me that since she's skating to music so comfortable for her, that she can really just focus on the jumps. When I watch her doing her SP, I feel like she's expending quite a bit more energy into the choreography and music, so maybe that makes landing the jumps just that much harder.

carolinefan177

On the Ice
While it would be nice for Caroline to skate faster, I think it is a wise decision for her to skate to lyrical pieces. That type of music compliments her skating well and requires soft, slow movements, which is what Caroline is used to. I also don't see how she manages to pull off the triple-triple with little speed, but she does, and it's really lovely, and the rotation is the air is gorgeous. I can't wait to see how she does, and I am pretty interested to hear what Nancy and Dick have to say about her.

Go Caroline!:yes:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
mao said that she never lands the salchow in competition and rarely practices them.

Caroline looks beautiful. I saw her in person and yes, her jumps look SO easy. like singles or doubles. She is not scared to go for them or anything. This little lady is going far.

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
Caroline Zhang's practice session...
http://web.icenetwork.com/video/archive.jsp

She landed a beautiful 3F-3T, 2 axel, and 3S!!!

That 3S was underrotated, more then just a quarter turn.

Pretty much all of her Triples are a quarter turn short...and that's me giving her the benefit of the doubt. I couldn't with the Salchow, though; she clearly landed short of the 1/4 turn mark and skidded the blade through on the ice to complete the rotation. Unless you're Tara Lipinski, you just don't do fully-rotated Triples with such a tiny amount of height.