Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Uh Oh. Your Water Bottle May Be Toxic

  1. #1
    LADSKATER
    Guest

    Uh Oh. Your Water Bottle May Be Toxic


    Here is some scary news for water drinkers!

    Uh Oh. Your Water Bottle May Be Toxic

    By Cathryn Conroy, Netscape News Editor
    If you're trying to save a buck or two by reusing the plastic bottle your water or soda comes in, you may be risking your health. The Canadian Press reports that dangerous bacteria and potentially toxic plastic compounds have been found in reused plastic water bottles that were intended for a single use only. This is how bad it is: If the same bacteria were found in a city's water supply, it would be shut down.

    How much water do we REALLY need? The answer may surprise you.
    found at: www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/d...index.html

    Researchers from the University of Calgary in Calgary, Alberta conducted a study of water bottles in the lunches of students who attended a Calgary elementary school. Had the bacteria in those bottles been found in the tap water, health officials would have had to issue a "boil water" advisory. Specifically, the researchers found bacterial contamination in about a third of the samples collected from the kids' water bottles at the school, and some samples even showed evidence of fecal coliforms. "If a town water supply had fecal coliforms in it, it would have to be shut down," lead author Cathy Ryan told The Canadian Press.

    Don't rely on your thirst to tell you when you need water! Tips to tell when you need to drink.

    found at:www.cookinglight.com/cook...21,00.html

    Where did the bacteria come from? Most likely, it originated from kids' hands and mouths as they reused the bottles without properly washing them or allowing them to dry, Ryan explained. She said some of the bottles hadn't been washed for months. The study was small--just 76 bottles at an elementary school were analyzed--but Ryan is convinced the results would be the same anywhere else. Here's the gotcha: Wash those bottles too much and toxic chemical compounds, some of which are carcinogenic, can migrate out of the bottles and into the liquid you put inside of them. It's probably best to use the bottles as they were intended: once. The study results were published in the Canadian Journal of Public Health.

    www.health.com/health/min...94,00.html


    Interesting study!! Makes one think.

    Ladskater

  2. #2
    CartDi
    Guest

    !!!


    YIKES!!!

    I re-use my water bottles too! ::groans::

  3. #3
    RealtorGal
    Guest

    Re: !!!


    <span style="color:navy;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:medium;">So now we don't just have to worry about the food we eat; we have to worry about the containers as well. GEESH!</span>

Similar Threads

  1. Water, water everywhere....
    By Ladskater in forum 2003-04 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2003, 11:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •