Mira looks like she is putting in the effort | Golden Skate

Mira looks like she is putting in the effort

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
For all the heat Mira Leung takes on this board I have to say I am impressed. What I am impressed in is that it is clear she has taken great effort to try and change some of the things people have been telling her and wanting to her change all along. She wore makeup, she had her hair done differently and nicely (especialy for the long program), she wore nice costumes, she actually tried to present herself like a lady and with class. She also looks like she has worked hard on trying to improve her flow, trying to improve her line, trying to interpret the music better, trying to gain more power in her skating. She still has a long way to go, but she certainly is making the effort, and finally is trying to address some of the issues people have been saying she needs to address for so long.

netnuts

Match Penalty
I think she'll become a solid skater but she won't become a star ....

Surprise, surprise, she only got two jumps downgraded, which is on par with Kimmie...

astimegoesby

On the Ice
I already posted my $0.02 about Mira's new look in the ladies' LP thread, but I'll repost them here. :)

I don't know if Mira finally got a wakeup call after her disappointing finish at Worlds or if she/someone on her team have read any any of the "makeover" comments posted here and on certain other boards, but I would never have recognized her this afternoon.

Mira still has to improve some things--especially her speed--to seriously challenge Joannie for the Canadian title or win a World/Olympic medal someday, but she's definitely made a huge step in the right direction, both in her appearance and her skating. :rock:

I hope Mira continues to improve, but at least now we know she is capable of improving, and for the first time, she looks like she truly belongs among the other senior ladies.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yeah, i gotta say i was impressed. her chreography and interprtation was very juniorish and i can't say much for the piano dress, but she looks a lot better.

netnuts

Match Penalty
I don't believe she'll become a world medalist. Her line is just so unappealing, and many aspects of her skating are very awkward. I don't believe they can be easily addressed.

I do believe she'll challenge Joannie ... Mira's jumps are getting quite solid. The underrotations are at least not as severe as in the past.

She has gorgeous and soft knee bent, which gives her landing 'Oda quality' most of the timing.

passion

On the Ice
I haven't yet seen her performance at Skate America, but I could already tell when I saw her compete at BC Summer Skate that she had made great strides in different aspects of her skating, but most noticeably in her speed and carriage. I think music is really key for her. If it's right she will more likely be able to move to the music naturally and feel the music from within. Imagine what she would be like if she had taken ballet as a little girl. It is also encouraging that she is rotating her jumps better and having more flow coming out of them (according to people). I think all these improvements will give her a realistic shot at becoming this year's Canadian champion, particularly if Joannie has a splat fest. Mira definitely has the edge mentally. Good for Mira for turning a very bad season around and making the appropriate changes! I think last year was rock bottom for her which probably was the best thing that ever happened to her in a way. I think she finally sees how accepting the help she needs will take her much farther than doing it her own way.

krenseby

Final Flight
I think all these improvements will give her a realistic shot at becoming this year's Canadian champion, particularly if Joannie has a splat fest. .

Well at least a much better performance from Mira will force Joannie to do a harder program with less mistakes to retain her title. Isn't it good for national champions when their competition steps up the effort?

khailac

Spectator
Protocols

Mira actually had the highest technical component score of all the ladies in the long program! Who would have thought... Congrats to her.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's great to see improvement in Mira's skating, but Mira has never entered an event with the pressure and expectations of winning or medaling the way that Joannie has. Let's see Mira handle going into senior World Championship competition having recorded the highest COP long program score in the world at Canadian nationals and deal with expectations of repeating that performance. Let's see Mira handle going into senior World Championship competition as a top 5 Olympian and having won the qualifying round over Sasha Cohen and see how she holds up or let's see Mira go into every Canadian championship with the pressure and expectations of winning like Joannie has done every year since 2005 before we can accurately judge how mentally tough she really is. Joannie has had to seriously fight for every placement she's gotten in world competition and the international judges certainly don't go out of their way to give her favors like they do with many other skaters. I feel for her because I think despite her talent, hard work, and achievements, she doesn't seem to get any breaks from judges or from a lot of skating fans, which I think is sad. Maybe skating spectators are just frustrated because they know what she is capable of (Grand Prix golds at '04 Trophee Eric Bompard and '06 Skate Canada, '04 Grand Prix Final bronze, '04 Grand Prix bronze at Cup of China, and '05 Grand Prix silver at Skate Canada) and from time to time (notably '05 Worlds, '06 Worlds, and '07 Nationals) it comes across that she doesn't believe in herself or her ability. Oh well, I really hope to see wonderful things from her this season . . . I wish her the best!

Last edited:

krenseby

Final Flight
It's great to see improvement in Mira's skating, but Mira has never entered an event with the pressure and expectations of winning or medaling the way that Joannie has. Let's see Mira handle going into senior World Championship competition having recorded the highest COP long program score in the world at Canadian nationals and deal with expectations of repeating that performance. Let's see Mira handle going into senior World Championship competition as a top 5 Olympian and having won the qualifying round over Sasha Cohen and see how she holds up or let's see Mira go into every Canadian championship with the pressure and expectations of winning like Joannie has done every year since 2005 before we can accurately judge how mentally tough she really is. Joannie has had to seriously fight for every placement she's gotten in world competition and the international judges certainly don't go out of their way to give her favors like they do with many other skaters. I feel for her because I think despite her talent, hard work, and achievements, she doesn't seem to get any breaks from judges or from a lot of skating fans, which I think is sad. Maybe skating spectators are just frustrated because they know what she is capable of (Grand Prix golds at '04 Trophee Eric Bompard and '06 Skate Canada, '04 Grand Prix Final bronze, '04 Grand Prix bronze at Cup of China, and '05 Grand Prix silver at Skate Canada) and from time to time (notably '05 Worlds, '06 Worlds, and '07 Nationals) it comes across that she doesn't believe in herself or her ability. Oh well, I really hope to see wonderful things from her this season . . . I wish her the best!

It's true that Joannie may have had to deal with more pressure than Mira and that may have taken its toll on her and brought her level of skating a level or two, but encouraging Mira is in no way an insult to Joannie. If Mira challenges Joannie more at Nationals, perhaps Joannie can have more confidence at Worlds.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's true that Joannie may have had to deal with more pressure than Mira and that may have taken its toll on her and brought her level of skating a level or two, but encouraging Mira is in no way an insult to Joannie. If Mira challenges Joannie more at Nationals, perhaps Joannie can have more confidence at Worlds.

I know, it's just reading comments like "Mira has the edge mentally" that prompted my response. Mira's mental nerve has not been truly tested yet IMO. She has never been in the position of favorite. That's what I was getting at.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I think Mira's nerve has been tested. With her flaws her general base mark at Canadians was really no higher then other contending skaters like Hawker and Duhamel in 2006, and Hawker again in 2007, so she was really on the bubble to make the Olympics and Worlds in 2006, and Worlds in 2007. So she had to make less mistakes then her main competitors for the 2nd spot to secure it, and did both times by skating virtually flawlessly. That is dealing with pressure, she was by no means assured the 2nd spot either year, she had to outperform her closest competitors, and given her deficiencies a performance with no mistakes was essential to her chances and that is what she did.

I also laugh at the thought of Rochette having "pressure" at Canadians. The last few years, particularly the last 2, she has gone in knowing she is so much better then everyone else she has a multi-fall cushion. There is not a more pressure free situation you can face then that. That is where she should be able to skate tremendously free from the pressure if anywhere, and she still struggles often to do this. Rochette certainly faces more pressure and expectations at many international events then Mira, but Mira fighting tooth-and-nail for the 2nd spot has much more pressure then Joannie and her annual coronation of recent at Canadians.

As for Joannie entering 2005 Worlds with the highest free skate score in the World, I think Canadians were the only ones to take that seriously since it was a National event. Nobody takes scores at National event seriously, except some homer happy people in whatever given country that is. I do believe she had pressure there, she had a good GP season, was 3rd at the GP final, and had that tremendous skate at Canadians people knew about (the quality of the skate is what gave her more pressure, not the nearly irrelevant Nationals "score").

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Mira's nerve has been tested. With her flaws her general base mark at Canadians was really no higher then other contending skaters like Hawker and Duhamel in 2006, and Hawker again in 2007, so she was really on the bubble to make the Olympics and Worlds in 2006, and Worlds in 2007. So she had to make less mistakes then her main competitors for the 2nd spot to secure it, and did both times by skating virtually flawlessly. That is dealing with pressure, she was by no means assured the 2nd spot either year, she had to outperform her closest competitors, and given her deficiencies a performance with no mistakes was essential to her chances and that is what she did.

I also laugh at the thought of Rochette having "pressure" at Canadians. The last few years, particularly the last 2, she has gone in knowing she is so much better then everyone else she has a multi-fall cushion. There is not a more pressure free situation you can face then that. That is where she should be able to skate tremendously free from the pressure if anywhere, and she still struggles often to do this.

I laugh at you implying that Mira experiences pressure at Canadian Nationals and Joannie doesn't or shouldn't, but whatever. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this matter. Every skater deals with the pressure of wanting to skate their personal bests.

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I laugh at you implying that Mira experiences pressure at Canadian Nationals and Joannie doesn't or shouldn't, but whatever. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this matter.

What pressure is there going into your own National Championships knowing you have atleast a 4 fall completely safe cushion? Joannie knew she could make tons of mistakes and be completely safe to win the last 2 Nationals, I dont see where that brings pressure. Like I said I cant imagine a more pressure-free situation for her to be in. Do you think Stojko in the post-Browning and pre-Sandhu era was under alot of pressure at Canadians? Or Bourne/Kraatz? When a skater is coming to a coronation there cant be a more relaxing situation to be in.

Mira was fighting tooth-and-nail for the 2nd and only realistically available spot on the Olympic and World teams. Now that is real pressure, much more then coming to a coronation and the only thing people care about is interested in how you skate and look.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Every skater deals with the pressure of wanting to skate their personal bests.

Well in that case Mira would have lots of pressure on her at international events too. I agreed with you that Joannie had much more pressure then Mira at international events you referred to, as the hopes on her were much higher. However if that is your reasoning, then Mira would then have lots of pressure at those same events, after all if it is about wanting to do your personal best, I am sure Mira likewise wants to do her personal best when she is at events like Skate Canada or the Worlds in the past.

astimegoesby

On the Ice
All I can say is I hope the "new and improved" Mira can push Joannie and bring out the best in her and vice-versa. I think Joannie, and Canadian ladies' skating in general, really needs that.

It looked like Joannie might have an exciting rivalry with Cynthia Phaneuf a few years ago, and as much as I'd love to see Cynthia challenge for the Canadian title again, it doesn't sound too likely right now. :cry:

But then again, I never thought Mira would improve as much as she has, so I guess there's always hope! :agree:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
All I can say is I hope the "new and improved" Mira can push Joannie and bring out the best in her and vice-versa. I think Joannie, and Canadian ladies' skating in general, really needs that.

It looked like Joannie might have an exciting rivalry with Cynthia Phaneuf a few years ago, and as much as I'd love to see Cynthia challenge for the Canadian title again, it doesn't sound too likely right now. :cry:

But then again, I never thought Mira would improve as much as she has, so I guess there's always hope! :agree:

I agree 100%. :rock: If Mira keeps improving and can push Joannie in Canada, that is only great for Joannie. I still think Joannie is the more talented of the two, but if Mira makes her feel some heat at Canadians and have to deliver to keep the title, that is great for both of them, and might help Joannie cope better at international events should she respond at Canadians.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree 100%. :rock: If Mira keeps improving and can push Joannie in Canada, that is only great for Joannie. I still think Joannie is the more talented of the two, but if Mira makes her feel some heat at Canadians and have to deliver to keep the title, that is great for both of them, and might help Joannie cope better at international events should she respond at Canadians.

I will agree with this. :yes:

krenseby

Final Flight
Well in that case Mira would have lots of pressure on her at international events too. I agreed with you that Joannie had much more pressure then Mira at international events you referred to, as the hopes on her were much higher. However if that is your reasoning, then Mira would then have lots of pressure at those same events, after all if it is about wanting to do your personal best, I am sure Mira likewise wants to do her personal best when she is at events like Skate Canada or the Worlds in the past.

Actually, internationally speaking, Joannie does have the pressure of doing well. Being the top lady means that the country's eyes are you instead of on lady number two. (Though, there's also pressure for Mira to do well to justify her spot, but Mira's pressure is to come in the top 15 or maybe top 10. Joannie is expected to come in in the top 7 or something.)

astimegoesby

On the Ice
I still think Joannie is the more talented of the two, but if Mira makes her feel some heat at Canadians and have to deliver to keep the title, that is great for both of them, and might help Joannie cope better at international events should she respond at Canadians.

Hey, that's what happened with both Joannie and Cynthia during that all-too-brief rivalry they had back in 2004/05. :rock:

(Though, there's also pressure for Mira to do well to justify her spot, but Mira's pressure is to come in the top 15 or maybe top 10. Joannie is expected to come in in the top 7 or something.)

Well, at least Mira can only place higher at 2008 Worlds (assuming she makes the team again, of course) than she did last time...