Was it really that empty? | Golden Skate

Was it really that empty?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just finished watching my SA tape... it didn't even look like it was 25% full :eek:

Forget trying to get TV viewers... it's time something changes to fill the flipping seats!

PAskate

On the Ice
If you think that your tape looks like the arena's empty, wait until you see film of the exhibition!!! :frown: Wtih the new schedule, even more people bailed on the exhibition that usual. I actually left it at the intermission - at 8:30 as I had a 1 1/2 hours drive to get to the Phillly airport to stay there for an early am flight.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah for nationals I haven't even gotten my tickets for the exhibition... which I guess I should as I won't be leaving until the next day... but it'll really depend on who's in it (though Melissa and Denis' new exhibition has left me intrigued...) it'll depend if I have the money to spend that day I'll do it... but goodness me!

oh well, they do what they can, right?

Linny

Final Flight
Marathon

All Event ticket holders were given a virtual marathon of skating. Monday morning and I'm stiff and still tired. I'm not surprised that the attendence was thin. Only crazy people like my friend and I would sit in the cold for 24 hours of skating over three days... and we really curtailed watching the practices and stuck to the performances.

Lin

Boston was playing Colorado. Sportsfans were waiting all Summer for this.

Matt Damon will be happy!

Where will Alex Rodriguez go after the Yankee flop?

Joe

kandidy

Final Flight
Yeah, guess whatm here in Japan I tried to find tickets for world last march.
Took me 500 bucks for ladies SP and LP.And that was from yahoo auction!

Emma7639

Rinkside
I thought it was pretty full compared to some other competitions I've seen.. There were a ton of people there.

luvsasha

Final Flight
It did seem a little empty once you were in the stands, but walking around the arena during breaks it was really crowded. Even thought there weren't tons of people, i thought the skaters had a pretty supportive audience. Lots of clapping when skaters did well, and everyone was sad when they would fall. Ryan had tons of fans there :)

feraina

Record Breaker
I thought it was pretty full compared to some other competitions I've seen.. There were a ton of people there.

Caroline commented in her interview that it was a bigger audience than at National's. Perhaps it was just a bigger stadium, making it look emptier and feel bigger?

silverfox

Rinkside
Caroline commented in her interview that it was a bigger audience than at National's. Perhaps it was just a bigger stadium, making it look emptier and feel bigger?
Perhaps Caroline was being the diplomat - speaking kindly of Reading while in Reading. Actually The Sovereign is much smaller than the arena in Spokane.

aarower

Rinkside
You're right, there were tonnes of empty seats. I think it has to do with the PRICE. It is much cheaper to go to Skate Canada. An all-event ticket to this year's Skate Canada was $145 for the best seats ($125 for upper bowl) and in July they gave a 15% discount (I assume to drum up sales). Plus to fill up the arena on Saturday children under 12 will be charged $10 (1 adult ticket per 4 children's tickets). Skate America's all-event tickets were $255, $191, $151.

Colisee Pepsi is twice the size of Soveriegn Centre - we'll see how big of a crowd they can get!

Caroline was skating in Junior Nationals which goes on early in the week. Most people on a budget only get to the last few days of Senior Nationls.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wouldn't be surprised if price had a big thing to do with it... nationals is very expensive even for nosebleed seats... if it didn't hit around the time of my birthday I wouldn't have a prayer in being able to afford it! :eek: (and if I lived on my own and paid for everything I wouldn't get to go even then!)

Jhar55

Medalist
It was very cold inside the arena, lots of empty seats if you didn't like your seat you could have found one that you did.
As for the city of Reading didn't care for it, the walk back to the Hotel wasn't good at night, walked very fast and made sure I was with a group. During wasn't much better expect it was light. I got lost my first day walking to the arena hotel front desk gave me the wrong directions, after going 2 blocks. Guess when you live in small citys and towns your just not use to it.
If they ever have Skate America there again I won't be going.
The only good thing I can say, the skating was Great...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah I guess if the local interest/promotion is better you see more people in attendance!

dutchherder

Final Flight
I was surprised that there didn't seem to be more advertising about the event around Reading. I only saw one billboard, and it was way outside of town near our Hotel-- the Holiday Inn Express next to the Reading Airport-- not exactly prime advertising.

JPierce

Match Penalty
Well, _I_ was there. I think the problem is twofold. First, CoP is frustrating for the audience. Most people can't understand why the scores happen how they do. Second and more importantly, skating has lost some of its biggest celebs - Michelle and Sasha for starters, not to mention Yagudin. Sasha will be back, but right now, there aren't a lot of big draws. Lots of new faces this year. I have to be honest, without Kimmie & Emily there, I wouldn't have spent the $700 on tickets + hotel to go either.

Linny

Final Flight
Disagree

I disagree. Reading was nice. There have been a ton of improvements. I wish more of the shops and eating places on Penn St had been open on Sunday between the Ladies Free and the Exhibitions, but that would be my only complaint.

There were billboards on both East and West 422 - the main artery around town.

The program featured a section on places to go and see while you were in Reading, plus a map. Guess the person who got lost didn't buy a program.

The bus service was convenient. The bus terminal is right across the street from the arena. I saw quite a few people who appeared to be using the buses.

I drove in and was pleasantly surprised at the convenience and cost for the parking. We got good parking spots right at the arena for only $6 in a well lit area with video survellience. Plus, there were police directing traffic and helping the pedestrians cross the road.

All ice arenas are cold. The seating was comfortable, though, and all seats had good views - no columns or posts in the way. They did have speakers on top of the boards, though, that ruined the view for a couple of front row seats. That's one criticism. I can't suggest a solution for that, though. The speakers pretty much have to be there.

As far as attendence - it's dropped off on all ice skating events all over. That's not the fault of the venue or the city or the advertising. Casual one-event ticket buyers are just not captivated by the current crop - but that's because they haven't yet heard of Caroline.

Television coverage was horrible - it won't do a thing to help boast ticket sales. I hope Skate Canada fares better in that department.

Linny