Yagudin re-injured? | Golden Skate

Yagudin re-injured?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
You see this is exactly many of us are saying the idea of him thinking of returning to eligible competition is crazy. Even show skating which is far less punishing then competitive amateur skating is risky on his body at this point. I hope this serves as a wake up call, and that his long term health is most important, not being cripped for life since he tried an ill fated comeback. Unfortunately sometimes I think guys like Yagudin and even Plushenko have so much competitive drive that it overcomes their sense of logic.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
My web-friend taught me this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO8dWT-I86c

I hope he didn't fracture the artificial hip joint plastic.

I'm rebuilding my own residence and temporarily have no fast internet...Could someone post the outcome?

I read on Werner's, Alexei was taken to a hospital, underwent some tests, and was released the same day. Back in hotel, he joined his friends for dinner. He looked fine, though came in limping a bit. He told his friends it wasn't his hip.

http://www.wer-art.com/conf/

sorcerer

Final Flight
.... He told his friends it wasn't his hip.
http://www.wer-art.com/conf/
I didn't have the right set of fonts to read it, but thanks for the info, I suppose many are relieved.
Maybe logically he should give up the idea of his coming back to the competition.... but Yagudin seems seeking a way to burn himself to ashes ON the ice!
Coming back or not, I think he won't be satisfied either way, but the question would be how he'd leave no regret.

Last edited:

Germanice

On the Ice
I've been there and it was a nightmare to watch him helpless like that. He couldn't get up on his own. It was such a wonderful evening (sold-old arena, 10.000 people, 80 % of them Russians, sparkling atmosphere!) until that moment, it spoilt everything at that point of time. Of course everyone was shocked, but the crowd was great, loud cheers, clapping and a standing ovation. Now I'm glad it wasn't as bad as it looked. Hope this has been a wakeup call for him, but frankly, I don't think so. I'm almost sure he'll go on like this. :eek:hwell:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
sorcerer;271871 many are relieved said:
I didn't have the right set of fonts to read it, but thanks for the info, I suppose.
Maybe logically he should give up the idea of his coming back to the competition.... but Yagudin seems seeking a way to burn himself to ashes ON the ice!
Coming back or not, I think he won't be satisfied either way, but the question would be how he'd leave no regret.

Yes, definitely relieved here. The people I know were most afraid that it might be his hip....

"Yagudin seems seeking a way to burn himself to ashes ON the ice! Coming back or not...the question would be how he'd leave no regret."

Perhaps that is the point, the sense of regret one may have if one does not try. It has always been his way to embrace a challenge; if it had not been so, he would not have been the kind of champion he is, nor won as resoundingly as he did at the Olympics. He did not just win; he broke the records and made a new record that will be permanent, since the scoring system has been changed. In an Olympics that sometimes seemed to lack clarity of decision, his victory was completely unchallengeable and stunning. So, it should come as no surprise that he attempts what he attempts now.

I know that the doctors told him not to skate too soon, etc., but try telling eagles not to fly. They won't listen, either lol.

I worry for him, but I respect his decisions; only he has the right to make them. "Alexei has to be Alexei". I have always loved his stubbornness, and I am not going to decry it now, whatever the outcome. I am, as always, admiring his courage.

Germanice

On the Ice
It's strange, I've to think more and more about the quote he once made at his "farewell" from eligiblity at Skate Canada 2003:
"You have to kill me to make me stop skating!"

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
It's strange, I've to think more and more about the quote he once made at his "farewell" from eligiblity at Skate Canada 2003:
"You have to kill me to make me stop skating!"

You know, I almost included that in my post, but I felt I had possibly made it too long already. It's a quote that certainly comes to mind! ;)

Few skaters give up skating but most give up competitive skating. What exactly did Yags mean when he said that?

He fell, he got up, he went to dinner. Seems like nothing terrible happened.

Joe

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Here is another URL, courtesy of Alexei Yagudin's Place:

http://www.rambler.ru/news/culture/highlife/11532800.html

It confirms what was published at:

http://www.tden.ru/articles/021056/

I once had a momentary blackout as a child, while standing up--I think I slumped, but an adult held me up, so I never sank to the ground, so I know it is possible to black out for an extremely brief time span. I am getting the impression that is what happened to Alexei Yagudin, a momentary blackout from extreme pain. I hope that Alexei's body will get the rest his doctors recommend, although Ilya Averbukh seems to indicate that Alexei will be working sooner.

ETA: Karenna has expanded her post from the original article, with an edit that adds more information to it, from her translation.

Last edited:

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Few skaters give up skating but most give up competitive skating. What exactly did Yags mean when he said that?

He fell, he got up, he went to dinner. Seems like nothing terrible happened.

Joe

I suppose that depends on your definition of "nothing terrible." Groin injuries have ended or changed significantly the careers of quite a few very good skaters. It might not seem like much to you, but I'm sure that means something to them.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A groin injury pretty much ended Alexei Urmanov's eligible career. He did return to competition, but he was never the same. Same for Elvis Stojko. He won silver at the 1998 Olympics while suffering with a groin pull. He returned to competition, and in 1999 he was 4th at Worlds, and 2nd in 2000. He never stood on top of the World podium again.

The quad and 3A require great strength to launch the body high enough in the air to complete the revolutions, and that can cause damage to the groin muscles. The recovery process is slow and it takes a long time to completely recover. If the time is not taken, the injury can get worse.

With a replacement hip and now an injured groin, Yagudin is even more unlikely to return to competition. And even just with the groin injury, show skating may not be possible in the short term.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Wasn't Michelle forced to withdraw from 2006 Olympics because of the groin injury? I wish that Alexei could give up the come back effort, and just focus on his health and other life for his future.

Not that I don't want to see him skating. He is the best. He is number one on my list, but I don't want to see him injure himself more. My heart goes out to him and his mother. How worrying will his mother be?! "You have to kill me to make me stop skating!" Yes, that is him. That is his charm. You cannot change him. All you can do is to wish him all the best.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
was this during some show?

It looked like he was in mid-performance. I hope he gets better soon! Any offical word if this was really him?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexei, Alexei. He's got a mind of his own!!

Dee