What did Browning Do for Joubert? | Golden Skate

What did Browning Do for Joubert?

He gave him a way to dance a routine with rhythm. Although he still is a bit with a metronome beat, he is trying to move with more than just the beat. Just my opinion, ladies.

Kurt can give skaters rhythm and many skaters should see him about it.

Joe

Just going by Brian's long program at Skate Canada, I would say it is at best a work in progress.

I don't think Kurt can teach Brian or anyone else to move his feet like Kurt does.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree Kurt can't teach what is instinct/whatever.

that being said interviews by Brian and by Kurt show that Kurt is bound and determined to see what he wants in teh program. He'll sit and work it all out with the skater if need be... it doesn't always stay that way as the season begins but it sounds like Kurt really wants the best for any skater he works with...

callalily

On the Ice
I am just back from attending Skate Canada and I have to say that Brian's long program performance bore little resemblance to what he was doing in practice. He now moves much more fluidly than ever before. While practicing, he showed lovely edges (!), turns, speed and lots of confidence in all aspects of his skating. Then in the long program he flubbed the quad early, tensed up, and delivered a hesitant, underwhelming program. I think his body awareness and fluidity have definitely improved since working with Kurt, based on what I saw in practice and in the closing gala.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Call, As for Joubert showing nice edges, I've heard it said for years that Joubert is actually an excellent basic skater. So could that be not new, and perhaps Kurt's just bringing it out more.

I am just back from attending Skate Canada and I have to say that Brian's long program performance bore little resemblance to what he was doing in practice. He now moves much more fluidly than ever before. While practicing, he showed lovely edges (!), turns, speed and lots of confidence in all aspects of his skating. Then in the long program he flubbed the quad early, tensed up, and delivered a hesitant, underwhelming program. I think his body awareness and fluidity have definitely improved since working with Kurt, based on what I saw in practice and in the closing gala.
Indeed! Brian is skating with much more fluidity than before. Not only in the Gala where his program was less jumping and more pizzazz but also in the competitive programs which showed him beginning to move with the music. No, he will not be Browning but neither was he Yagudin. He's now on the right path to being Joubert. IMO, a good measure of that lies with Browning;s coaching.

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
To me, it is so impressive when a good skater keeps pushing him or herself to improve and it sounds like that is what Brian has done consistently for more than a year now. I am glad to hear about his flow and musicality in practice, and can't wait to see it in he LP performances. I felt like I saw it in his short - with the exception of NOT doing a quad triple (which I believe is a problem he has) everything about the sp 'felt' or seemed like a notch above his skating last year. I liked it alot.

amateur

Final Flight
yeah I agree it was more evident in his SP... interesting to hear that he practiced differently than he competed in the LP, which I guess makes sense if he tensed up after the early mistake.
Joubert rather bores me in comparison to just about any of the other top men... but I'll keep trying to like him (music and costume choice for his LP are not good though... it would be nice to see him break out and really experiment)

oxade21

Match Penalty
I may well agree with you, but please explain.

Explanation is simple, I saw no difference between last year's Joubert and this year's, in fact everything he was criticized for was even in more prominent this time around. I hope it is work in progress but I doubt that.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IIRC he was given a lot of praise last season for working with new choreography? I'm confused lol