Miki is also superstar in status

So is Yu-Na

Fumie, Yukari are also fairly popular

Caroline, Mirai, Kimmie are also huge

They are like iconic in status

They are somewhat like Sailormoon now in status...huge

Daisuke and Nobunari are also big

Custom Title
    Glad to hear that the sport is doing well in some parts of the world, even though it is sinking in the US

But when I saw the skater scoop on TV, it is like a soap opera story.
    Sometimes make me annoyed those television news.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Glad to hear that the sport is doing well in some parts of the world, even though it is sinking in the US
    USA has just as much star skaters PLUS such advantage in the next generation like Zhang or Nagasu. Japan envies that.
    What might lack in the US, I think, might be some "rivalry in tight tension", though I'm not confident about this imagination of mine.
    (Formula-1 showed a peak in popularity when Prost and Senna was in such a dramatic rivalry.)

Here, Miki and Mao were sort of brought up together on the same training rink, are good friends, but they ARE very conscious of each other.
    And of course Yu-Na, our lovely neighbor, has joined in this mutual consciousness for some time already.
    Men's rivalry in figure skating may not work as much as ladies', promotion-wise.

I think Caro and Mirai will show some thrilling rivalry on the senior scene next season.
    And my prediction is that Mirai will take the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by kandidy View Post
    But when I saw the skater scoop on TV, it is like a soap opera story.
    Sometimes make me annoyed those television news.
    Yeah? Oh, maybe a bit so, but where paticulary was annoying?
    Perhaps it's that "using the same fluff clip over and over again"?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    USA has just as much star skaters PLUS such advantage in the next generation like Zhang or Nagasu. Japan envies that.
    What might lack in the US, I think, might be some "rivalry in tight tension", though I'm not confident about this imagination of mine.
    (Formula-1 showed a peak in popularity when Prost and Senna was in such a dramatic rivalry.)
    While the US has a lot of "star skaters", it doesn't have the people watching skating on TV or buying tickets to event that Japan seems to have. Unfortunately, the US doesn't go to well for "friendly rivalries" -- maybe, they are insufficiently dramatic (especially when compared to Tonya/Nancy).

The burr up Speedy's Butt! visaliakid's Avatar
    Everything goes in cycles. Skating was huge starting with Harding's planned " knee whack on Kerrigan" heard round the world and throughout the 1990's until after the 2003 Worlds in Washington, D.C.

The big difference in these two periods of popularity was that the U.S. period was born of controversy, and the current period in Japan, out of Arakawa's Olympic triumph.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    It was amazing to see the size of the Japanese contingent and the Japanese media that was at Skate America!!

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    yeah, it's a ntional craze. It drove Mao to LA to get a break from the media and the crowds. I feel kinda sorry for those kids who at a lower level. The copetition must be enormos!

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by visaliakid View Post
    ...and the current period in Japan, out of Arakawa's Olympic triumph.
    Yes, Shizuka's gold in Olympics shifted the gear for another big boost, but this craze was started in '05 by the media, expecting "Mikitty" to do the quad in Torino.

Miki was a cute idol in Japan already in the latter half of 2004, like appearing in two popular variety shows, though once each; she shined strong having won both the JGPF and the Junior Worlds. She even got to win the Nationals '04 and '05 straight in a row.

It was not till the "Who goes to the Olympics" thing started in '05 that folks knew well about Arakawa. I bet that till the pre-Olympic media hype started, most of those who knew Mikitty didn't even know that Shizuka was senior champ in '04.

I imagine Vancouver '10 will start another hype in '09, both in USA and Japan. The popularity in the US will rebounce alright. (If not, then that'll be a big problem.)

I think the US would be having a revival in skating thanks to Caroline Zhang and Mirai Nagasu!!! Very soon