Youtube Videos | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Youtube Videos

feraina

Record Breaker
Here's another version of Caroline's SP, with the music more or less sync'ed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQO1AYDXuE

I think so far Caroline's best SP skate was at SA, although the 3/3 was slightly better rotated here. I have a feeling though, that her SA 3/3 would've gotten ratified by the CoC technical panel, too. I feel like she can skate this program still better, as she gets more mileage behind her on it. :agree:

I really loved Johnny's LP. :love: I liked how he really attacked all his axel's, including the 2A -- he made a measly 2A feel really exciting. :clap: I think last year's more energetic/dramatic choreography was really good for him, even though he didn't post particularly good competitive results. It gave his skating a more mature, energetic, exciting look. His new LP in turns reminded me parts of his SP and LP from last year -- and there's still a lyrical section in the middle where he can enjoy his inner lyrical self. :biggrin: The choreography is great, but obviously he seemed to be most focused on the technical aspect in this outing. I think later on the season, this could turn out to be a real masterpiece, especially if he can put in a quad, add a third combo, and replace the 2A with another triple.

Go Johnny! :rock::rock::rock:

feraina

Record Breaker
Actually, I could watch the whole video for Kostner. Wow, splat, splat, double, double, and just when you think she's got it back together, another splat! I think she's very lucky to stay in 3rd. I haven't found Fumie's LP yet. I was ready to write her off after the SP, but she shows she still has it in her!

feraina

Record Breaker
Yu-na's LP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFMsx4i6nnM

An unusual choice of music/choreography for her, but I think it works better than the SP. Amazing, effortless jump, that 3/3 was so easy it looked like a 3/2! The 2A/3T looked a bit iffy though, I think the SA technical panel might've downgraded it. That's a new combo for her, isn't it?

Her spiral's are much steadier now, still not amazing stretch though.

She seemed to have ended her program WAY late. Surprised there was no time deduction, maybe they were conservative with the music and had it cut a few seconds short of the limit.

emma

Record Breaker
Wow, Weir really is back - it was so nice to see his truly happy smile at the end and in kiss and cry -- i'm really excited for him!!!!

annlfs

Rinkside
I just found Johnny's LP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW9XqGT4rJI

Apparently Youtube's search engine sucks and only updates recent videos two days after upload. But google somehow gets it really fast! Try searching for your favorite skaters on google video, and then sort by date added. :)

Good lord this is a masterpiece!!! I am speechless. Thank you.

great to see it again, you are so right total masterpiece;-)
go johnny go!!

tstars

Rinkside
Yu-na's LP:

An unusual choice of music/choreography for her, but I think it works better than the SP. Amazing, effortless jump, that 3/3 was so easy it looked like a 3/2! The 2A/3T looked a bit iffy though, I think the SA technical panel might've downgraded it. That's a new combo for her, isn't it?

She seemed to have ended her program WAY late. Surprised there was no time deduction, maybe they were conservative with the music and had it cut a few seconds short of the limit.

I think its just that video. I watched the live feed and I think she ended with the music.

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Yu-na's LP:

Hm, I don't think she was late with ending with the music.
She's had the 2A-3T in her programs since at least 2005-2006. The landing was scratchy, but I don't think it was too underrotated and it didn't mar the flow of the program.
The program's not the masterpiece of seamless choreography that The Lark Ascending was, but it still works well for her and she follows the rises and falls in the music very well.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Hm, I don't think she was late with ending with the music.
She's had the 2A-3T in her programs since at least 2005-2006. The landing was scratchy, but I don't think it was too underrotated and it didn't mar the flow of the program.
The program's not the masterpiece of seamless choreography that The Lark Ascending was, but it still works well for her and she follows the rises and falls in the music very well.

I know Lark was an incredibly choregraphed program. But I remember Paul Wylie commented on perhaps it was " too much for Yu-na" and it seems like maybe her team agrees. The truth is too, it's not like Yu-na was that rewarded for such a beautiful program. In one of her best showings (the Grand Prix Final) she didn't even get I believe a half point more for that gorgeous program...

So I understand her teams reasonings for the choice they made (sigh)...Still, what I hate is the fact that the new program doesn't really emphasize one of Yu-na's most beautiful aspects of Yu-na's skating and that's her arms. Maybe they can fix things just a little better... For example, in Sun and Moon, they really could have had a longer inbetween, where Yu-na could use her arms and engage the audience more..

feraina

Record Breaker
I thought Yu-na garnered very high PCS for Lark Ascending at the last WC, despite the falls. I think the choreography and presentation must have helped. If she had fallen hard twice on her current LP, I don't think she'd score as high...

bekalc

Record Breaker
I thought Yu-na garnered very high PCS for Lark Ascending at the last WC, despite the falls. I think the choreography and presentation must have helped. If she had fallen hard twice on her current LP, I don't think she'd score as high...

True.. By then, yeah, but not so much at the Grand Prix. I think they are counting on the fact though that with less choregraphy and being healthy Yu-na can hit her jumps...Also, I think everyone scores at Worlds went up, so I'm just looking at scores at the Grand Prix..

Last edited:

mizu_iro

Final Flight
I know Lark was an incredibly choregraphed program. But I remember Paul Wylie commented on perhaps it was " too much for Yu-na" and it seems like maybe her team agrees. The truth is too, it's not like Yu-na was that rewarded for such a beautiful program. In one of her best showings (the Grand Prix Final) she didn't even get I believe a half point more for that gorgeous program...

So I understand her teams reasonings for the choice they made (sigh)...Still, what I hate is the fact that the new program doesn't really emphasize one of Yu-na's most beautiful aspects of Yu-na's skating and that's her arms. Maybe they can fix things just a little better... For example, in Sun and Moon, they really could have had a longer inbetween, where Yu-na could use her arms and engage the audience more..

It's an understandable decision. I am a tad disappointed because it would almost seem as though Lark should come after the new program in terms of artistic development, but I'm happy to see her score a PB and land six triples (including the loop, which looks better than ever) for the first time since 2006 Junior Worlds. Her levels aren't nearly maxed out on spins and steps yet, so once she does that this program would easily score over 130 if clean.

While the arms aren't highlighted as much as they were in Lark, they still added to the program. It's a lighter program than last year, but I still think that each element goes well with the music.

feraina

Record Breaker
But don't you think there's actually a strategical benefit to pick a program that is just a little challenging in terms of choreography, so that you really fully realize its potential by the end of season, and peak at the right time at the WC? With Yu-na's current LP, for instance, she already has a near-perfect program (just that she should try not to pop that lutz), and the music/choreography will not challenge her much further. She might even be bored/jaded by the time WC rolls around.

I don't know, I really loved Tango Roxanne and Lark Ascending last year. I thought she had such amazing musicality and artistry, on top of the effortless jumps. I'm just disappointed with the choice of both music and choreography of her two programs this season. Of course the best news is that she's healthy and confident, but she's just such an amazing artist, I just don't feel like these two programs do her enough justice.

bekalc

Record Breaker
It's an understandable decision. I am a tad disappointed because it would almost seem as though Lark should come after the new program in terms of artistic development, but I'm happy to see her score a PB and land six triples (including the loop, which looks better than ever) for the first time since 2006 Junior Worlds. Her levels aren't nearly maxed out on spins and steps yet, so once she does that this program would easily score over 130 if clean.

While the arms aren't highlighted as much as they were in Lark, they still added to the program. It's a lighter program than last year, but I still think that each element goes well with the music.

I know.. Maybe they can add a few more inbetweens. A part of me thinks that she really can't have arms flailing all the time with this program and music.... Maybe if they just added one or two inbetweens the program would work better...

I think though after seeing both programs, if Mao hits at least 6 triples, and does it clean, Mao wins.

mizu_iro

Final Flight
I know.. Maybe they can add a few more inbetweens. A part of me thinks that she really can't have arms flailing all the time with this program and music.... Maybe if they just added one or two inbetweens the program would work better...

I think though after seeing both programs, if Mao hits at least 6 triples, and does it clean, Mao wins.

But Mao with 6 triples is not a sure proposition. Unless she brings the 3T or 3S back, she maxes out at 6 WHEN she does the 3A. Her 2A's and 3F's score good GOE but overall Yu-Na wins out when both skaters have similar base values. Neither skater has maxed out their levels, so it remains to be seen who has the potentially higher-scoring program.

Oh, and here's a better version of Yu-Na's LP, from the Korean webcast:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ty2QOnsyI

bekalc

Record Breaker
But Mao with 6 triples is not a sure proposition. Unless she brings the 3T or 3S back, she maxes out at 6 WHEN she does the 3A. Her 2A's and 3F's score good GOE but overall Yu-Na wins out when both skaters have similar base values. Neither skater has maxed out their levels, so it remains to be seen who has the potentially higher-scoring program.

Very true...And looking at Mao's program again, I don't think she really has that many more in betweens than Yu-na. What she has is more arm movements.. (which are done lovely) and prettier music.. I also think she skated faster..

So who knows. Reports are that Mao is working on a 3 flip 3 toe, and has landed it in practice at the Skate Canada.

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Yu-na's LP:

Yeah, the sound clip on this version is way, way off. A lot of the moves in the program were designed to specifically accentuate the music, so this version really doesn't do the musicality in the choreography justice. Maybe this is the reason why people dislike the program so much right now?