Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1 of last 2 Titanic survivors dies at 96

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar

1 of last 2 Titanic survivors dies at 96

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21692850/

I didn't realize there were so few titanic survivors left. Now, just one.

well it sank in 1914... so I'm a bit surprised anyone is still left...

but don't worry we still have James Cameron, Leo DiCaprio, and Kate Winslet.... :rolleyes: (oh, wait, they weren't on the REAL Titanic???... my faith is shot! )

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    well it sank in 1914... so I'm a bit surprised anyone is still left...

but don't worry we still have James Cameron, Leo DiCaprio, and Kate Winslet.... :rolleyes: (oh, wait, they weren't on the REAL Titanic???... my faith is shot! )
    hahahaha (maaaaaaaan, I HATED that movie!)

One of my relatives went down on the Lusitania. Maj. Butt They added an s to the name in the mid 1800 s. My maiden name was Butts.

Quote Originally Posted by Binky30 View Post
    hahahaha (maaaaaaaan, I HATED that movie!)
    yeah don't EVEN get me started

though watching it now I do like the secondary character performances... still hate the story.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    yeah don't EVEN get me started

though watching it now I do like the secondary character performances... still hate the story.
    Why?? Just curious.

Dee

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Why?? Just curious.

Dee
    Why did we hate it or why does she like the secondary characters? (Because if it's the latter, I'd like to know, too.)

I'll say why I hate that movie. It was an overrated, overacted, bloated, at least 1 hour too long crap-fest. Overly sentimental, melodramatic, from "I'm king of the world" to that stupid necklace. I was squicked out by the sex-in-a-random-car thing, and Billy Zane was rockin' waaaaaaaaaaay too much guyliner. (eyeliner on a guy)

Phew. (And Toni, I never knew you didn't like Titanic either. I knew I loved you! )

However, I do *adore* Kate Winslet, which I blame on "Finding Neverland" and "The Holiday".

whenever you see a documentary on it, there is always some survivor on there that was a baby or small child on the ship, BUT they like to show recycled interviews & it gets confusing, sometimes. lol

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Well that does it. Now that we all said that we hated that movie...some skater will be using the music from Titanic next season!!

SLL - Oh no, please, no, lol!

I never saw the movie. What for? I knew the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Binky30 View Post
    However, I do *adore* Kate Winslet, which I blame on "Finding Neverland" and "The Holiday".
    I've loved her since a Kid In King Arthur's Court

anyway I don't like the story namely because James Cameron said that while he was not going for a documentary that his story was historically accurate. It wasn't. He went more with rumors than actual fact and he villified many of the CREW... which he never should have.

He also gave the star male roll a name of an actual victim of the sinking (he was a crew member in the boiler room IIRC) and found it funny that so many love sick teens went to the man's gravesite and made a shrine out of it (I find it a little offputting he found it funny... it was his doing in a way)...

top it off with the back story that he actually went and robbed the ship so he could have a few props (oh sorry, it was for museum purposes, he just got to borrow the items) and I just have a disgust for the film... it had the makings of being good... but then...

as for secondary characters I ADORE Billy Zane in his role. He plays him SO WELL. I don't like the character so much as the way he was acted... I also think Victor Garber gave a lot of heart to a man who is almost always vilified even though he was probably the only one that was NOT sure that she was unsinkable due to the liner's cutting corners (which is somewhat portrayed in teh film)... and then *brain fart* The unsinkable molly brown is always so much fun...

but yeah, I just have issues with the supposedly greatest movie of all time.

Custom Title
    I wasn't crazy about Titanic either although I never understood the backlash Leonardo received after that film was released.

FYI...if you're looking for a really good movie about the Titanic there's an old British movie called "A Night To Remember" that's really very excellent. Just my 2 cents!

I find most of DiCaprio's 'best' performances (by critic standards) to be very wooden. The only films I liked him in were What's Eating Gilbert Grape (he really surprised me in that) and Catch Me If You Can (Speilberg is a genius though)

so yeah... I just don't get why Leo is considered one of the sexiest men, or hot, or even a good actor... heck Ilia Kulik (poor guy is always compared to that 'actor') is better in every department! :laughL

Custom Title
    I find most of DiCaprio's 'best' performances (by critic standards) to be very wooden. The only films I liked him in were What's Eating Gilbert Grape (he really surprised me in that) and Catch Me If You Can (Speilberg is a genius though)

so yeah... I just don't get why Leo is considered one of the sexiest men, or hot, or even a good actor... heck Ilia Kulik (poor guy is always compared to that 'actor') is better in every department! :laughL
    Really? While I'll agree that I've never understood his status as a sex symbol, I think he's a really good actor. I loved him in the two films you mentioned as well as Marvin's Room, This Boy's Life, The Aviator & especially The Departed (I thought his Oscar nomination for Blood Diamond really should've been for The Departed instead) I also liked him in Rome & Juliet even though I despised that film. The only time I wasn't so crazy about him was Gangs of New York but I think that's just because he was miscast. That whole movie was kind of a mess to begin with anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast