Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pairs long program

Banned

Pairs long program

No thread about this yet, but it is over.

Long program results:

1 Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN 111.27 55.59 55.68 7.05 6.70 7.10 6.95 7.00 0.00 #7
    2 Keauna McLAUGHLIN / Rockne BRUBAKER USA 95.44 49.52 47.92 6.30 5.75 5.90 6.00 6.00 2.00 #6
    3 Jessica MILLER / Ian MORAM CAN 86.84 46.72 43.12 5.60 5.15 5.40 5.40 5.40 3.00 #5
    4 Jiaqi LI / Jiankun XU CHN 78.84 42.56 37.28 5.00 4.55 4.60 4.65 4.50 1.00 #3
    5 Yue ZHANG / Lei WANG CHN 78.46 41.34 39.12 5.10 4.65 4.85 4.95 4.90 2.00 #4
    6 Maria SERGEJEVA / Ilja GLEBOV EST 77.28 45.68 33.60 4.40 4.05 4.10 4.35 4.10 2.00 #1
    7 Dominika PIATKOWSKA / Dmitri KHROMIN POL 63.43 33.63 30.80 4.00 3.65 3.90 3.95 3.75 1.00 #2

Overall results:

1 Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN 176.75 1 1
    2 Keauna McLAUGHLIN / Rockne BRUBAKER USA 154.66 2 2
    3 Jessica MILLER / Ian MORAM CAN 137.30 3 3
    4 Yue ZHANG / Lei WANG CHN 126.78 4 5
    5 Jiaqi LI / Jiankun XU CHN 125.08 5 4
    6 Maria SERGEJEVA / Ilja GLEBOV EST 113.68 7 6
    7 Dominika PIATKOWSKA / Dmitri KHROMIN POL 102.27 6 7
    WD Mari VARTMANN / Florian JUST GER

On the Ice
    The protocol said that Miller/Moram attempted a throw quad. Does anyone know how close they were to landing it?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lerei View Post
    The protocol said that Miller/Moram attempted a throw quad. Does anyone know how close they were to landing it?
    I didn't notice it's a quad... Overall, it's a splatfest, very mediocre pairs event. Miller/Moran fell three times!
    McL/B were no better, their jumps and throws were major weakness.

Pang & Tong did much better than Skate America, but they still had problems with CoP. The levels of difficulty of all non-jump elements were higher than 'Skate America', but were still lagging behind S&S, or even D&D... They also had some jump problem today. The scores were mediocre.

Banned
    I am very happy for Miller/Moram to get onto the podium. This might be the high point of their careers.

Well, McL/B get a silver and if they get a medal in NKH, they will be in the Finals. The point of these little comps is to get to the Finals.

Joe

Medalist
    I would hardly say COC is a "little event" to make it to the final, however this year there was little to comment on in the way of the pairs event.

Custom Title
    Wow, looks like a splatfest of the highest order. Only P/T have no deductions, many teams have multiple ones, including second and third.

It was really a splatfest. Downright awful. Only P/T didn't fall.

I felt really sorry for Zhang/Wang, they were looking pretty good until she fell on the sbs spins. She looked so lost... after that they simply lost it... heartbreaking. But they are very young and look very promising

Quote Originally Posted by lerei View Post
    I didn't notice, may be it was their first throw. I was watching on CCTV on tvants and it was freezing all the time.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Well, McL/B get a silver and if they get a medal in NKH, they will be in the Finals. The point of these little comps is to get to the Finals.

Joe
    They have ZERO chance of winning a medal at NHK.

The roster:
    Dube/Davison (CAN) - 3rd event
    Savchenko/Szolkowy (GER) - 3rd event
    Volosozhar/Morozov (UKR) [4th at 07 Worlds] - will likely have a bronze medal from TEB
    McLaughlin/Brubaker - silver from CoC
    Langlois/Hay - 4th from Skate Canada.

The first 3 places will go to S/S, D/D and V/M, probably in that order. But if McL/B can beat L/H for 4th place at NHK, they could get a place in the GPF because silver + 4th beats two bronze medals.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    They have ZERO chance of winning a medal at NHK.

The roster:
    Dube/Davison (CAN) - 3rd event
    Savchenko/Szolkowy (GER) - 3rd event
    Volosozhar/Morozov (UKR) [4th at 07 Worlds] - will likely have a bronze medal from TEB
    McLaughlin/Brubaker - silver from CoC
    Langlois/Hay - 4th from Skate Canada.

The first 3 places will go to S/S, D/D and V/M, probably in that order. But if McL/B can beat L/H for 4th place at NHK, they could get a place in the GPF because silver + 4th beats two bronze medals.
    Zero chance you think. Their short program at COC would have scored in the mid-60s without their miss on the side by sides. It was underotated so they got almost nothing when it is worth 4.5, plus 1 more point off the fall, so just over 5 points lost there, plus any possible PCS or GOE lost. I dont know what they are capable of with a clean long, and they didnt give a very good idea with their COC performance in the long. However I wouldnt say they have no chance of beating Dube/Davison or Volosozhar/Morozov if they are a team with a realistic chance to pull off clean programs at any event(and you have followed them more then me so you would be better qualified to speak to that). If they are a team that there is a chance to pull off clean programs of what they look to be capable of, I cant imagine they have NO chance to beat 1 of those teams who are not exactly the most consistent and could make mistakes. I agree they are unlikely to beat them though.

Custom Title
    I don't expect McL/B to medal at NHK but I'll consider myself pleasantly surprised if they do. I certainly hope they prove me wrong but CoC was a VERY thin field

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar
    I DO believe they can medal at NHK if they can hit 2 clean performances. They would have easily made it in the mid 60's in the SP if it hadn't been for Keauna falling on their sbs triple salchow. Everything thing else is world class especially the lifts and spins which have been deemed Lvl 4 by the judges and they can do a triple twist. A VERY GOOD ONE!!!!! Something that the American pairs have been lacking for a while.

So I rethink your predictions before you condemn them

Banned
    Pang & Tong's long
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R5qmZDx2MM

Zhang & Wang's long
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb48tcU6Vvc

Pang's jumps are getting better and better, she used to be the weaker link...
    Tong's jumps are deteriorating...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorGalaxia518 View Post
    I DO believe they can medal at NHK if they can hit 2 clean performances. They would have easily made it in the mid 60's in the SP if it hadn't been for Keauna falling on their sbs triple salchow. Everything thing else is world class especially the lifts and spins which have been deemed Lvl 4 by the judges and they can do a triple twist. A VERY GOOD ONE!!!!! Something that the American pairs have been lacking for a while.

So I rethink your predictions before you condemn them
    That is what I think. I dont think they are favored to medal in that field, but I certainly think they have a chance to. They could win silver or bronze if they have a better competition for themselves then they did at Cup of China (and they definitely could do better by eliminating some of the mistakes) and if the Ukranians, or even Dube/Davison have a bit of an off event.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast