Pairs long program | Golden Skate

Pairs long program

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
No thread about this yet, but it is over.

Long program results:

1 Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN 111.27 55.59 55.68 7.05 6.70 7.10 6.95 7.00 0.00 #7
2 Keauna McLAUGHLIN / Rockne BRUBAKER USA 95.44 49.52 47.92 6.30 5.75 5.90 6.00 6.00 2.00 #6
3 Jessica MILLER / Ian MORAM CAN 86.84 46.72 43.12 5.60 5.15 5.40 5.40 5.40 3.00 #5
4 Jiaqi LI / Jiankun XU CHN 78.84 42.56 37.28 5.00 4.55 4.60 4.65 4.50 1.00 #3
5 Yue ZHANG / Lei WANG CHN 78.46 41.34 39.12 5.10 4.65 4.85 4.95 4.90 2.00 #4
6 Maria SERGEJEVA / Ilja GLEBOV EST 77.28 45.68 33.60 4.40 4.05 4.10 4.35 4.10 2.00 #1
7 Dominika PIATKOWSKA / Dmitri KHROMIN POL 63.43 33.63 30.80 4.00 3.65 3.90 3.95 3.75 1.00 #2

Overall results:

1 Qing PANG / Jian TONG CHN 176.75 1 1
2 Keauna McLAUGHLIN / Rockne BRUBAKER USA 154.66 2 2
3 Jessica MILLER / Ian MORAM CAN 137.30 3 3
4 Yue ZHANG / Lei WANG CHN 126.78 4 5
5 Jiaqi LI / Jiankun XU CHN 125.08 5 4
6 Maria SERGEJEVA / Ilja GLEBOV EST 113.68 7 6
7 Dominika PIATKOWSKA / Dmitri KHROMIN POL 102.27 6 7
WD Mari VARTMANN / Florian JUST GER

lerei

Rinkside
The protocol said that Miller/Moram attempted a throw quad. Does anyone know how close they were to landing it?

netnuts

Match Penalty
The protocol said that Miller/Moram attempted a throw quad. Does anyone know how close they were to landing it?

I didn't notice it's a quad... Overall, it's a splatfest, very mediocre pairs event. Miller/Moran fell three times!
McL/B were no better, their jumps and throws were major weakness.

Pang & Tong did much better than Skate America, but they still had problems with CoP. The levels of difficulty of all non-jump elements were higher than 'Skate America', but were still lagging behind S&S, or even D&D... They also had some jump problem today. The scores were mediocre.

Well, McL/B get a silver and if they get a medal in NKH, they will be in the Finals. The point of these little comps is to get to the Finals.

Joe

Cal Girl

Rinkside
I would hardly say COC is a "little event" to make it to the final, however this year there was little to comment on in the way of the pairs event.

rain

Record Breaker
Wow, looks like a splatfest of the highest order. Only P/T have no deductions, many teams have multiple ones, including second and third.

beep_beep

Medalist
It was really a splatfest. Downright awful. Only P/T didn't fall.

I felt really sorry for Zhang/Wang, they were looking pretty good until she fell on the sbs spins. She looked so lost... after that they simply lost it... heartbreaking. But they are very young and look very promising

beep_beep

Medalist

I didn't notice, may be it was their first throw. I was watching on CCTV on tvants and it was freezing all the time.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, McL/B get a silver and if they get a medal in NKH, they will be in the Finals. The point of these little comps is to get to the Finals.

Joe

They have ZERO chance of winning a medal at NHK.

The roster:
Dube/Davison (CAN) - 3rd event
Savchenko/Szolkowy (GER) - 3rd event
Volosozhar/Morozov (UKR) [4th at 07 Worlds] - will likely have a bronze medal from TEB
McLaughlin/Brubaker - silver from CoC
Langlois/Hay - 4th from Skate Canada.

The first 3 places will go to S/S, D/D and V/M, probably in that order. But if McL/B can beat L/H for 4th place at NHK, they could get a place in the GPF because silver + 4th beats two bronze medals.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
They have ZERO chance of winning a medal at NHK.

The roster:
Dube/Davison (CAN) - 3rd event
Savchenko/Szolkowy (GER) - 3rd event
Volosozhar/Morozov (UKR) [4th at 07 Worlds] - will likely have a bronze medal from TEB
McLaughlin/Brubaker - silver from CoC
Langlois/Hay - 4th from Skate Canada.

The first 3 places will go to S/S, D/D and V/M, probably in that order. But if McL/B can beat L/H for 4th place at NHK, they could get a place in the GPF because silver + 4th beats two bronze medals.

Zero chance you think. Their short program at COC would have scored in the mid-60s without their miss on the side by sides. It was underotated so they got almost nothing when it is worth 4.5, plus 1 more point off the fall, so just over 5 points lost there, plus any possible PCS or GOE lost. I dont know what they are capable of with a clean long, and they didnt give a very good idea with their COC performance in the long. However I wouldnt say they have no chance of beating Dube/Davison or Volosozhar/Morozov if they are a team with a realistic chance to pull off clean programs at any event(and you have followed them more then me so you would be better qualified to speak to that). If they are a team that there is a chance to pull off clean programs of what they look to be capable of, I cant imagine they have NO chance to beat 1 of those teams who are not exactly the most consistent and could make mistakes. I agree they are unlikely to beat them though.

fenway

On the Ice
I don't expect McL/B to medal at NHK but I'll consider myself pleasantly surprised if they do. I certainly hope they prove me wrong but CoC was a VERY thin field :eek:hwell:

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I DO believe they can medal at NHK if they can hit 2 clean performances. They would have easily made it in the mid 60's in the SP if it hadn't been for Keauna falling on their sbs triple salchow. Everything thing else is world class especially the lifts and spins which have been deemed Lvl 4 by the judges and they can do a triple twist. A VERY GOOD ONE!!!!! Something that the American pairs have been lacking for a while.

So I rethink your predictions before you condemn them

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I DO believe they can medal at NHK if they can hit 2 clean performances. They would have easily made it in the mid 60's in the SP if it hadn't been for Keauna falling on their sbs triple salchow. Everything thing else is world class especially the lifts and spins which have been deemed Lvl 4 by the judges and they can do a triple twist. A VERY GOOD ONE!!!!! Something that the American pairs have been lacking for a while.

That is what I think. I dont think they are favored to medal in that field, but I certainly think they have a chance to. They could win silver or bronze if they have a better competition for themselves then they did at Cup of China (and they definitely could do better by eliminating some of the mistakes) and if the Ukranians, or even Dube/Davison have a bit of an off event.

netnuts

Match Penalty
That is what I think. I dont think they are favored to medal in that field, but I certainly think they have a chance to. They could win silver or bronze if they have a better competition for themselves then they did at Cup of China (and they definitely could do better by eliminating some of the mistakes) and if the Ukranians, or even Dube/Davison have a bit of an off event.

I think they have potential. However, have they ever landed a triple jump in international competition? I don't think so...

rain

Record Breaker

I think they would have to have a VERY good outing and here's why...at SA Dube and Davison doubled planned triples in the FS as well as taking a fall on a throw, and still scored WELL above McL/Bru.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And Dube/Davison are 20 and 21 and have been skating together for 5 years, including two full seasons on the Junior level.

McLaughlin/Brubaker are 14 and 21 and have been skating together for 18 months and have just one season at the Junior level together. They were very, very nervous at their first GP event and I am sure they will progress in the coming years (provided Keauna doesn't get any bigger and they stay together).

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
The problem with many promising U.S pairs in the past is they split up before they reach their potential. I hope this team stays together. I saw them at World juniors last year and liked them, but seeing them at Cup of China I really liked them even more, they look to me like they have improved quite a bit even since then, it was unfortunate they could not skate their best to show all of it. One move I really love of theirs is their triple twist, they get incredible height, but also I was amazed their short program one especialy how softly he caught her and put her down, you almost never see that on a triple twist, even from the better ones.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Don't get me wrong. I am a BIG fan of McLaughlin/Brubaker, and I would be thrilled to see them medal at NHK. But I am just being realistic about their chances. I think they have the ability to score 60-62 in their short program and 102-105 in the FS if they skate fairly cleanly. But a total 162-167 doesn't approach the 173-174 D/D scored at SA and SC, or the 173 Volosozhar / Morozov scored at Worlds.

V/M and D/D are the 4th place and 7th place Worlds finishers, and the judges will boost their PCS scores relative to McL/B. IMO, one or both teams could have an off-day and still beat the newbies.

Not only would V/M and/or D/D have to flounder a lot, McL/B would have to skate two perfectly clean programs, and that isn't going to be easy. Knowing that a place in the GPF is on the line isn't going to help their nerves, and Keauna is only 14.

I will be rooting for them, nonetheless. BTW, they could still make the final without a medal at NHK, as long as they finish 4th.