Men's Long | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Men's Long

Ximena

Final Flight
And you know this how?
Buttle getting bronze at CoR it's probably the safest prediction to make out of all of those there. CoR has as the three main contenders Stephane, Johnny and Jeff. If they all go clean (though I realize after this it's difficult to predict Stephane) but IF they all go clean, Stephane will win and Johnny will beat Jeff in PCS and they have the same TES.

I'm saying Johnny will beat Jeff in PCS because normally they have the same PCS, but this would be in Russia and crowd support still counts in COP (though in theory it should not), and Russia will be behind their own team and Johnny.

In "neutral" ground, Jeff and Johnny clean should be a tie.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha, PCS is so subjective and so many opinions differ. I prefer all aspects of Jeffrey's presentation over Johnny's. IMO, Stephane tops them both though.

Ximena

Final Flight
Haha, PCS is so subjective and so many opinions differ. I prefer all aspects of Jeffrey's presentation over Johnny's. IMO, Stephane tops them both though.
That's just it, just like you prefer Jeff, I prefer Johnny,
And going clean Stephane will beat them all.
My point is that in Russia, if they are "tie" to the unbiased eye, Johnny will win because the home guy always gets extra point, and Johnny may as well be Russian.
It's the same that happened last season at NHK, Takahashi and Oda skated beautifully but they would not have gotten those marks in any other place.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I'm saying Johnny will beat Jeff in PCS because normally they have the same PCS, but this would be in Russia and crowd support still counts in COP (though in theory it should not), and Russia will be behind their own team and Johnny.

In "neutral" ground, Jeff and Johnny clean should be a tie.

I think that if otherwise their skating (jumping) happens to be equal, Buttle will win in PCS. David Wilson is a master in creating CoP-friendly programmes for Buttle. On the other hand I´d imagine that Buttle will peak at Worlds this season.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I agree Buttle wont do better then bronze at Cup of Russia. Lambiel and Verner will almost definitely get the final 2 spots to the final.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I have just seen Lysacek and Lambiel's LPs, and saw Weir's LP yesterday.

It's painful to watch Lambiel's performance. I'd like to think that it was because of his knee injury like someone said before which was beyond his control. And I wish he could recover as soon as possible. He is so young and he has the talent to go all the way. He shouldn't stop here.

Lysacek's performance was fine. The music was powerful and beautiful, of course. The thing I don't like about his program is those meaningless two arms swing. It seems that both his arms raise over his head at the same time has become his signature move. It appeared in all his programs. Is that the choreographer's problem or his? He should do better than that. I admire his courage, his hardworking, his discipline, and his competitive spirit. I wish that I could love his skating more.

This year, Weir's LP is simple compared with his last year's one. It seems that without jumps and spins, there is not much left. Maybe that is what many people said - the CoP's fault. But this program is CoP friendly. He got over 151 on it. He did great jumps which was lacking in the past two years. It is great to see him got his jumps back and didn't seem to be out of breath afterward. I am always amazed at his flow and smoothness on ice, if only he can get rid of that outrageous costume.:no::no::no:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
This year, Weir's LP is simple compared with his last year's one. It seems that without jumps and spins, there is not much left. Maybe that is what many people said - the CoP's fault. But this program is CoP friendly.

I do belive that it's possible to create masterpieces also under CoP. It's difficult but not impossible. We've seen some great performances from various skaters recently, proving it can be done. Meaning I'm not going to blame CoP in Johnny's case. But if I were to choose what I want to see: Johnny performing something I personally would enjoy/ love, or Johnny doing CoP friendly programs and medaling, I'd go for the latter. There's still exhibitions, and Daisuke Takahashi's skating, thanks god.

jennylovskt

Medalist
But if I were to choose what I want to see: Johnny performing something I personally would enjoy/ love, or Johnny doing CoP friendly programs and medaling, I'd go for the latter.

:)I would go for the latter, too.

Last edited:

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I just saw the Cup of China on ESPN

A few comments:

The Pairs:
Okay to Pang and Tong: EAT SOMETHING, they are so gaunt, their cheeks are really sunken in, its so disgusting, I found myself screaming at the television EAT SOMETHING **** it. I did like the new American and Canadian pairs they look really good together and they are showing an enormous amount of potential.

The Dance:
Please someone get rid of the folk dancing and drown the yankee polka. I do not see the appeal of Dom and Shab so it really gets me upset when they get better results than the inventive Kerrs. On that note Susie Wynne its KERRS not CARES, emphasis on the K. The Zaretskis were brilliant, I cannot stand the Italians and their costumes, I would have perfered the Kerrs or the Zaretskis getting the Bronze over them. Tantih and Ben were great totally deserved the win.

The Men:
SO HAPPY that Johnny won, now he just needs to lose the outfit. On a seperated note: EVAN!!! I had a lot of problems with his performance, it was not passionate at all and there was not much in between the jumps. Second did anybody see that during the kiss and cry before his final scores came up Evan just walked out leaving Frank sitting there alone. That was really bad sportsmanship. Evan also acted like a brat to Peter C. during the interview. Another thing why does Evan only do latin music and maybe a musical, ever heard of variety Evan, or originality? Tosca? Come on!! Poor Stephane Lambiel, I feel so bad for him, he will come back strong at worlds. Why did Sergei's costume have pink cuffs and a pink collar?

I did not watch the ladies so I cannot comment.

Other than that Good Job Johnny

mariposa

Rinkside
I'm a fan of both Weir and Lysacek. That being said---I thought Evan's performance in the LP was over the top. As I watched Johnny's program unfold I was amazed at the ease and natural ability he posesses in being able to deliver a beautiful program that seemed effortless. It has been such a long time since I've seen Johnny skate at that level. Being Evan's skate was directly after Johnny's, the difference in both was simply black and white. Now this has nothing to do with who did the sacred "quad" or who had the best footwork. It was simply who delivered. As much as I admire Evan's competetiveness and drive---there is simply no comparison as to who's more pleasing to watch. I kind of compare Weir to Kwan--who made everything look so easy and esthetically beautiful, and Evan who reminds me of Emily Hughes, just borderline over the top and leaves me wondering if he/she can deliver without error the next element. Congrats to all. Just my humble opinion.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
well it's promising for Johnny... hopefully this is just what his confidence needed

but he most likely just lit a huge fire under Evan.... ;) Nationals is going to be INSANELY intense

And I am so very envious of those of you who will be there, watching it live.
I love Johnny's new programs, and hope he can keep up the momentum throughout the season. I wish Evan's music and choreo were more imaginative, but it was good to see him do a solid short program for a change.
I hope they spend the next couple of seasons pushing each other to ever greater heights. Gooooo, Johnny & Evan! Whoot!
xoxo
Rave

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree Buttle wont do better then bronze at Cup of Russia. Lambiel and Verner will almost definitely get the final 2 spots to the final.

It's a tossup between Buttle and Lambiel for silver at CoR. But Lambiel has to improve some since CoR to push Buttle out of the GPF.

Verner is done (as far as the GPF is concerned). He has 5 points from TEB and even a gold at NHK (impossible, with Takahashi in there) wouldn't help.

So far, Chan and Lysacek are in, and Weir and Takahashi should be in. That leaves:

(After CoR-assuming Weir wins) Lambiel or Buttle with 24 (11+13)
Kevin Van Der Perren with 22 (13+9)
Lambiel or Buttle with 22 (11+11)

At NHK, there is a possibility that Stephen Carriere could win silver, which would give him 22 points (13+9).

If that happened, the Final would be:
Takahashi
Weir
Chan
Lysacek
Lambiel or Buttle
Van Der Perren or Carriere (higher total score) - likely VDP

Of course, there is also the outside possibility that someone other than Lambiel or Buttle hits the podium at CoR (such as Voronov did at TEB) with gold or silver, in which case neither of them goes to the GPF. Both Lutai and Uspenski have the capability to skate a blinder every once in awhile, and they are on home ice. Neither one has enough points to make it to the final (except Uspenski, with a gold), but they could block Buttle and Lambiel from going.

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:clap: :clap: :clap: Yay!!!! for Johnny. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am so happy that Johnny has a coach now that beats him with a stick!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Great Job, Johnny!!!!

Dee

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I have never seen Johnny so strong.. It is safe to say that when he is on....he has the best technique jumping in figure skating today. His edges are so clean in and out of his jumps... No scratching, no ice shooting from his blades...Just pure, clean, balance and ease... Like Paul Wiley said...he had me in a trance! Now if he can stay like that the rest of the year?

twinsissv

Rinkside
:

I am so happy that Johnny has a coach now that beats him with a stick!!!! :laugh: :laugh:
-------------------------------------

Yes! That has been badly needed for some time now. Finally, someone who can scare the living "heck" out of him and kick his butt if he doesn't listen! Priscilla just became too nice and Johnny took advantage...bad boy. :no:

ae9177

On the Ice
Finally watched COC. It was a great competition, especially battle between the American boys. :clap: Can't wait to see their showdown at Nationals.

But is it me or all of the 4 step sequences in Weir's programs look almost exactly the same?:scratch:

Linny

Final Flight
Why the red scarf?

Evan didn't wear the old Carmen red scarf when he did his FP at Skate America. It made the marvelous white silk shirt front and center. Why would he put that crappy old thing back on?

Linny

waxel

Final Flight
Stephane may have had a jump meltdown but it sure didn't affect his spins. That final combination was magnificent and the headless spin was the best I've ever seen.