So what do you think ESPN will show tomorrow? | Golden Skate

So what do you think ESPN will show tomorrow?

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Two and half hours tomorrow(with NBC scheduling Boitano's show against it!). Four gold-winning skates. One ice dancing accident. One silver medalist who made himself memorable in the free skate. One Ladies silver medalist who landed a triple axel. One American lady who fell from second to fourth. One pair of silver medalists who locked themselves in for the Grand Prix Finale. Two would-be medalists that melted down. Two hometown skaters that managed to win a bronze against the odds. One hometown skater who finished just off the podium. One Russian pair that won the bronze and caused tongues to click by skating to "Love Story."
And a bunch of other competitors to that would be much less likely to be shown in the broadcast. There may not even be room for all of the above! Squeak in some other ladies and ice dancers perhaps if there is.
Who do you think makes it and who do you think doesn't?

maggylyn

Rinkside
I usually feel that American TV tends to treat the Pairs and Dance disciplines as the unwanted step-siblings of the "Real" figure-skating: Ladies and Men's!!

Their coverage of SA (and that event even featured the top American ice-dance team!) made that abundantly clear. I wouldn't expect it to be any different in their SC broadcast.

Sigh!!

oleada

Record Breaker
I'm fairly confident Savchenko/Szolkowy will be shown - there is a picture of them being interviewed by ESPN on their website.

but I agree with you maggylyn - pairs and dance get no respect. :(

What can ESPN put in 2-1/2 hours?

Dance: Definitely a talk on G/P's accident. ok, that's to be expected. But will they show the 2 newbies to Grand Prix: C and L and also C and J? Of course they wouldn't dare leave out V and M. Would they?

Pairs: Just the winners: S and S. Too bad, not that they shouldn't but because D and D are so up and coming and should be seen. btw, Steurer has a great team here.

Ladies: Mao looked good but it's early and she will look better in Paris.They should show Nakano's 3A and a pretty good skate if you get used to the wrap arounds. They should not leave out Joannie's return to the podium. Sad about Hughes. I do wish to see Ashley's mad jumping spree again.

Men: Well his nibs, Brian was not at his best in either SP or LP but he did look like he improved as a musical skater, but then he lost the tricks. VDP in that funny pair of long johns skated so carefully, if he missed anything it would look gruesome, but he didn't. Buttle, if they show him, has to snap out of it. They probably wont show Mabee and my new 'star' Chippeur who looked like he left his hockey game to do 4 minutes of free style.

All of the above is my training in writing a critique and not a judge.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I sure hope they show the competition.

Dee

MissIzzy

Final Flight
The top five ladies after the short plus Ashley Wagner, the top five men, S&S, and K&S. I'm fairly certain they would have included D&D and V&M if the basketball game right before hadn't gone over! Both were included in the start and closing montages. As it was, they didn't even mention the ice dancing competition!

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
The top five ladies after the short plus Ashley Wagner, the top five men, S&S, and K&S. I'm fairly certain they would have included D&D and V&M if the basketball game right before hadn't gone over! Both were included in the start and closing montages. As it was, they didn't even mention the ice dancing competition!

That really ticks me off :mad:

Nothing on the serious fall of G/P or Ice Dancing just because stupid basketball had to go over.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Where were their heads? How can they leave out Dube and Davison; and Virtud and Moir? or was I distracted? I didn't see Ashley either.

What I did see, is always interesting from a perspective point of view. The LIVE arena perfomance is so different than the proscenium effect of the TV performance.

Joe

zephyrskates

On the Ice
i caught part of ESPN's coverage and i can not believe that mao's coach is so adamant on his opinion that the new rule on flutzing is unfair. i think that it is fair, especially to skaters like joannie who fixed her lutz with hard work.

bekalc

Record Breaker
i caught part of ESPN's coverage and i can not believe that mao's coach is so adamant on his opinion that the new rule on flutzing is unfair. i think that it is fair, especially to skaters like joannie who fixed her lutz with hard work.

Oh I know! And Miki over the summer fixed her lip! In fact when you think about it (although Meissner lips and a lip is actually harder I hear than a real flip)
Meissner, Yu-na, Miki, a Joannie all of real lutzes. And well their real lutz is harder than what Mao's doing.

Nobody changed the rules on Mao. The rules always said that the lutz was suppose to take off on the outside edge. It's just now the ISU got tired of skaters like Mao getting away with their bad technique and so they are enforcing the rule.

They should be glad that Mao was able to get away with it for this long.

UGH.

R.D.

Record Breaker
of course, not having cable coverage I elected to watch bits and pieces of NBC's skating special (in HD!!)...anyone know the format of what ESPN actually televised? Sounds like they had to cut off the beginning because of the basketball game going over.

fourclover

On the Ice
Would somebody please upload espn coverage of Skate Canada? I'd love to see Mao and Joannie. Thanks a bunch.

Linny

Final Flight
V&M not shown

Since V&M Ice dance wasn't shown, anyone have a link to it?
Linny

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I agree that the coverage could have been more complete. It could ALWAYS be more complete! FS fans are the red-headed stepchildren of the sports world! Honestly, can you see Monday Night Football just playing the second half of a game? Nope, me either!
But I was so glad to hear Terry, Paul and Suzie instead of Tom, Scott and Sandra that I was far less upset than usual by the big gaping holes in the coverage.
xoxo
Rave

discoduck

On the Ice
I was watching Gotta Skate and didn't see it. I'm happy to hear that Terry was there. I love him. :)