Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Johnny already peaked? (COC/COR Spoilers)

Custom Title

Has Johnny already peaked? (COC/COR Spoilers)

Did he just skate the performance of his life and peak too soon? I just dont remember the last time he skated a clean, drama free program. Thoughts?

Banned
    Too early to tell. Lets wait until after Cup of Russia before coming up with more judgement either way.

Custom Title
    The program needs some working to do and considering it was his first program of the season, I would think it's too early to talk about peaking.
    Has Johnny had the only clean SP+FP of the "elite" men so far?

Custom Title
    I think Johnny has just started. As good as it was, I don't think he skated at his absolute limit. He has an enormous amount of natural talent. IMO, he has much more than Evan. Johnny just got lost there for a while. I'm wondering whether he can sustain his focus throughout the tedious training that he has to do the rest of the season. I don't think we've ever seen him do that.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBeth View Post
    I think Johnny has just started. As good as it was, I don't think he skated at his absolute limit. He has an enormous amount of natural talent. IMO, he has much more than Evan. Johnny just got lost there for a while. I'm wondering whether he can sustain his focus throughout the tedious training that he has to do the rest of the season. I don't think we've ever seen him do that.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    But I think this result has probably given him that extra boost of confidence that has been so sadly lacking in recent years.

Banned
    The most important thing for singles skaters today is to stay healthy. That is more important then peaking too early.

I think it's premature to talk about Weir peaking early, when he's just had ONE successful event. Let's at least see how he does at CoR, whether he shows some fatigue or decline, before declaring that the best has already passed!

Staying healthy is indeed so critical nowadays. I was alarmed to hear that Caroline had been injured prior to CoC, and needed painkillers for the competition. She kept it very quiet, but that's terrible news for a 14-year-old just coming up to the senior rank. Hopefully it's not aggravated by her two falls, and she has plenty of time to recuperate before National's. (Perhaps missing out the GPF will be a blessing in disguise!)

Banned
    I did not hear about Caroline's injury actually. Indeed hope she recovers soon. That just goes to show my point about the most crucial thing for singles skaters these days it to maintain health.

You can read about Caroline's injury and interviews with her team and family in the "women's long" thread, post # 224 -- I translated a Chinese article.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    You can read about Caroline's injury and interviews with her team and family in the "women's long" thread, post # 224 -- I translated a Chinese article.
    Thanks.

Custom Title
    I don't think this is his peak. He has put his mind together and once he put his mind together, he can do it. He is that talented. I have realized that I pronounced the prediction too soon without much evidence. But I believed what I feel.

Custom Title
    Great start for Johnny! He can probably gain 10+ more points in his LP with a quad, an extra combo jump, and a 3 jump combo.

Medalist
    I don't thinks Weir's reached any peak. If anything, it appears his training is going well... Two clean programs at one event is only a beginning; I hope.

he's not going to get any peace this season, I can see it now...

I'm not even a fan and I can't help but feel for him. The last two years people were giving up on him because he seemed unfocused and didn't skate well

he skates well for the first time in what seems like FOREVER and people are writing him off as peaking too soon?????? um... yeah....

gotta give him props... I wouldn't be able to take the critics.

Tripping on the Podium
    It was encouraging that Johnny attributed his success to his new training regimen and hard work. If he can keep that mindset, he should do well.

I read somewhere that, instead of flying back from China to the U.S. before CoR, he's heading straight to Moscow and training with a friend of Galina Z's. That seems like a smart thing to do--avoid jet-lag and general travel exhaustion right before the competition. Hope it works out for him.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast