Has Johnny already peaked? (COC/COR Spoilers) | Golden Skate

Has Johnny already peaked? (COC/COR Spoilers)

Fossi

Final Flight
Did he just skate the performance of his life and peak too soon? I just dont remember the last time he skated a clean, drama free program. Thoughts?

Ximena

Final Flight
The program needs some working to do and considering it was his first program of the season, I would think it's too early to talk about peaking.
Has Johnny had the only clean SP+FP of the "elite" men so far?

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I think Johnny has just started. As good as it was, I don't think he skated at his absolute limit. He has an enormous amount of natural talent. IMO, he has much more than Evan. Johnny just got lost there for a while. I'm wondering whether he can sustain his focus throughout the tedious training that he has to do the rest of the season. I don't think we've ever seen him do that.

twinsissv

Rinkside
I think Johnny has just started. As good as it was, I don't think he skated at his absolute limit. He has an enormous amount of natural talent. IMO, he has much more than Evan. Johnny just got lost there for a while. I'm wondering whether he can sustain his focus throughout the tedious training that he has to do the rest of the season. I don't think we've ever seen him do that.
----------------------------------------------------
But I think this result has probably given him that extra boost of confidence that has been so sadly lacking in recent years. :yes:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
The most important thing for singles skaters today is to stay healthy. That is more important then peaking too early.

feraina

Record Breaker
I think it's premature to talk about Weir peaking early, when he's just had ONE successful event. Let's at least see how he does at CoR, whether he shows some fatigue or decline, before declaring that the best has already passed! :rock::rock::rock:

Staying healthy is indeed so critical nowadays. I was alarmed to hear that Caroline had been injured prior to CoC, and needed painkillers for the competition. She kept it very quiet, but that's terrible news for a 14-year-old just coming up to the senior rank. Hopefully it's not aggravated by her two falls, and she has plenty of time to recuperate before National's. (Perhaps missing out the GPF will be a blessing in disguise!)

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I did not hear about Caroline's injury actually. Indeed hope she recovers soon. That just goes to show my point about the most crucial thing for singles skaters these days it to maintain health.

feraina

Record Breaker
You can read about Caroline's injury and interviews with her team and family in the "women's long" thread, post # 224 -- I translated a Chinese article.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I don't think this is his peak. He has put his mind together and once he put his mind together, he can do it. He is that talented. I have realized that I pronounced the prediction too soon without much evidence. But I believed what I feel.

tae04

On the Ice
Great start for Johnny! He can probably gain 10+ more points in his LP with a quad, an extra combo jump, and a 3 jump combo.

April

Rinkside
I don't thinks Weir's reached any peak. If anything, it appears his training is going well... Two clean programs at one event is only a beginning; I hope.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he's not going to get any peace this season, I can see it now...

I'm not even a fan and I can't help but feel for him. The last two years people were giving up on him because he seemed unfocused and didn't skate well

he skates well for the first time in what seems like FOREVER and people are writing him off as peaking too soon?????? um... yeah....

gotta give him props... I wouldn't be able to take the critics.

seafoam

Rinkside
It was encouraging that Johnny attributed his success to his new training regimen and hard work. If he can keep that mindset, he should do well.

I read somewhere that, instead of flying back from China to the U.S. before CoR, he's heading straight to Moscow and training with a friend of Galina Z's. That seems like a smart thing to do--avoid jet-lag and general travel exhaustion right before the competition. Hope it works out for him.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I read somewhere that, instead of flying back from China to the U.S. before CoR, he's heading straight to Moscow and training with a friend of Galina Z's. That seems like a smart thing to do--avoid jet-lag and general travel exhaustion right before the competition. Hope it works out for him.

I agree... that is a great idea for him... hopefully he can stay focused... I'd want to explore with all that extra time on my hands ;) hope they keep him busy!:rofl:

Snowgirl

On the Ice
It's not a peak, just good pre-seasonal training, which he lacked 2 previous years. We just see what Johnny Weir is able to do when his programs are ready and he had enough training time. It's just the beginning.

Go, Johnny!!!

Brandi_DeLain

On the Ice
I agree that it was great to hear him credit the new training regimen and hard work. Now that that extra work has paid off, I don't expect him to let up one bit.

This performance wasn't a peak. It was a great debut, but there is room for improvement. I'm looking forward to seeing both of his new programs develop. :agree:

georgia

On the Ice
I think he is sooo talented, we have not see the best of him yet. The spins need work. So plenty or room for improvement there. Other than that his program is gorgeous. He might be the reason for me to attend Nationals this year. I want to be there to see it.
The program It's seamless. I have never seen anything like it! I hope the quad will not stay between him and his success. Though I think is he puts the effort he is capable of landing gorgeous quads..
One other thing I noticed, but i need to see the program again, his moves are not too feminine anymore, just more balletic. I don't know how tho express it.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Johnny has passed one hurdle which is to skate a clean LP. He did that, and he won a competition in a relatively smaller scale - not all the world's best were there. But he has beaten Evan Lysacek. This is a great boost for his confidence. He hasn't overcome another which is the most difficult barrier for his mind - to put the quad in his programs.

I think he got to put a quad in the program. Once he overcomes that mental block, I will say that he is completely back into the top games. He will be able to win in any major competitions. I have high hope for this to happen in the near future with his new, tough, iron lady like coach. She is the right choice for him!