Canadian Currency Worth More Than US | Golden Skate

Canadian Currency Worth More Than US

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well it has been along time, but Canadian currency is now worth more on the market place than US. However, our greedy government has not given us any breaks on prices. Some retail outlets are trying to adjust prices down, but we still seem to have higher prices than the US for the same goods. Of course, this is making Canadians crazy enough to head across the border for cheaper prices. However, most Canadians don't realize by cross border shopping they are hurting our economy, putting some Canadians out of jobs and jeopardizing our health care system.

My husband and I don't cross border shop just on general principles. I think a person should spend their money in their own country and support their local businesses. People who are new to Canada don't understand the negative impact they are having on our economy and health benefits by leaving the country to buy their goods. We are lucky to still have one of the best health care systems in the world - is it really worth jeopardizing it to save a few cents by shopping in the States?

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
However, most Canadians don't realize by cross border shopping they are hurting our economy,

Every single Canadian I've talked to realizes this... And I've discussed it a lot as it's been higher for quite a time now... And yes, some were new Canadians... the problem isn't that they don't know it... it's that, if it's gonna save them a few hundred or even thousand dollars... they just aren't going to care.

fenway

On the Ice
I went to Europe in September & the US dollar was bad enough then. I can't imagine traveling abroad now.

IndieBoi

On the Ice
Every single Canadian I've talked to realizes this... And I've discussed it a lot as it's been higher for quite a time now... And yes, some were new Canadians... the problem isn't that they don't know it... it's that, if it's gonna save them a few hundred or even thousand dollars... they just aren't going to care.

I disagree... I'm all about supporting our economy and would be more than happy to pay a reasonable premium to cover higher manufacturing and transportation costs, taxes, etc. But if the much higher prices are driven more by greed on the part of the retailers, I'm crossing south of the border. An example, not that I'd go out and buy a plane anytime soon, I heard in the news that Bombarier's made-in-Canada planes are less expensive abroad than they are here, after all costs related to exporting them... how do you explain that?

In the case of books/magazines, they say there's approx. a six-month turn-around on inventory. But the loonie has been on an upward trend for over a year now (granted not as dramatically as in the past 2 months). However, the gap percentage between U.S. and Canadian published prices did not decrease.

I lived in the U.S. for almost seven years and I think prices and services there are far better because consumers are very vocal, either by complaining and/or not buying. Also, due to the much more intense competition, outrageous pricing will simply not be tolerated. It annoys me to no end that cell phone companies in Canada charge additional for basic voicemail that comes standard with any cellular plan in the U.S. (and their plans are so much cheaper!)

Eventually, Canadian retailers will feel the pain for not making their numbers and be forced to lower their prices enough that they still make a healthy margin. It won't make sense for Canadians to make the trip down to save a few toonies anymore. That's just how the market works.

Teresa Dawn

On the Ice
??? I understand what you are saying and agree 100%, except I don't understand what part of my post you disagree with??? You've pretty much just said the same thing as me in longer form with more detail and a more personal viewpoint.... All I was saying is that Canadians aren't completely blind to the fact that it is better for Canada's economy (shops, retail, government etc) if they shop in Canada... but that if the US offers more they will cross the border anyways... Especially for large purchases.. I don't think many will wait in the borderline up to save $10 on gas... but if they want a new car or doing a large amount of Christmas shopping, who wants to pay the extra money in Canada... especially for things like books like you said where the price gap doesn't make sense.... The last book I bought for example, says on the cover... 13.99 US and 18.99 Canadian... I ordered it online... but hmm... I wonder what the bookstore is going to do if I walk in and offered them 13.99 in American Cash...

IndieBoi

On the Ice
Sorry - hit the quote button on the wrong msg. Meant to respond to this one...

<<I think a person should spend their money in their own country and support their local businesses. People who are new to Canada don't understand the negative impact they are having on our economy and health benefits by leaving the country to buy their goods. >>

As I said, I'd be more than happy to pay a higher, yet reasonable price in my country to support local businesses, but not when I feel they're screwing me over.