Kurt Browning's Gotta Skate | Golden Skate

Kurt Browning's Gotta Skate

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Was anybody watching?

I saw Dubreil and Lazon and Sasha. Sasha skated to Hurt. I though she skated really well. very slowly, but her jumps were perfect and she seemed happy. Her hair is shorter now, and she had it curled and down. But I think it's time for a new program.

I caught Sasha's solo while waiting for the SA to begin. What she did she did extremely well and it was up to professional standards. I did not enjoy seeing the same facial expressions she had in R&J(Roti). I prefer her more like Malaguena or Dark Eyes.

Yet, there was a snippet of her in that Pas de Cinque. She was one of the four gals being charmed by Kurt and it was nice to see her working in a group.

Joe

80watt

Spectator
Sasha's Purchase

How do I put this.....did anyone notice that Sasha seemed to be a bit more endowed than previously? Not that it matters and I hope this isn't offensive to anyone but I watched the DVR'd the show and watched a second time...its neither here nor there just wondering was it only some sort of optical illusion on my end.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Anyone with digital TV notice the show was also broadcast in HD? This is a first for an NBC weekend skating special...props to them for doing that :clap: I hope they do that for all the specials.

Yes, Cohen more likely than not got implants.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
we've already debated her upper body this season... can we PLEASE focus on something else... lol

80watt

Spectator
Sorry...I'm new, just joined today, so I missed that discussion - it's the first I time I noticed. I know how annoying repetitive discussions can be - I'll drop it and look for what I missed.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I liked the show today. I loved Kurt & Shae's number and everyone else did a great job too. Kudos to Kurt for putting on a great show this year! :)

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Overall, this was one of my favourite Gotta Skates yet. I'm normally not a big fan of skating specials devoted mainly to one type of music and as much as I like these skaters and this kind of music, I was afraid seeing so many Motown numbers in a row would get boring. But that wasn't the case at all yesterday.

I've wanted Kurt and Shae to skate a number together for years since I think they're the two skaters who can best perform entertaining numbers with no jumps whatsoever, and this one definitely didn't disappoint! Although they did manage to sneak in one SBS jump...which was impressive in and of itself since Shae probably hasn't jumped in years. :rock:

I thought Kurt's "pimp" character was hilarious and thought he played his character very tongue-in-cheek...not serious at all. I actually thought Kurt pulled off that character even better during his number with the ladies than during his solo, but both were still great.

Although some people may disagree, I didn't find Kurt's character offensive or inappropriate since IMO, the fact he was playing a pimp would sail right over the heads of anyone too young to know what a pimp was and anyone who does know what a pimp is would realize Kurt obviously was not playing the character seriously at all.

And how adorable were those clips of Kurt skating with Gabriel during the family dinner (or family sandwich) fluff? :love:

All I have to say about Sasha's new, ahem, figure is I hope it won't affect her jumps to the same degree Nicole Bobek's jumps were affected after experiencing similar, ahem, growth a few years ago...especially if Sasha's serious about wanting to compete in Vancouver. Sasha still has everything else, though, and I'm looking forward to seeing what else she can do as a show skater. And seeing that one lift she did with Kurt during the finale made me curious to see a Kurt-Sasha duet someday.

Is it just me or did Jeff's first number remind anyone else of a program Ilia Kulik would have skated? I don't know if it was the haircut, the shirt, the choreography or all of the above, but I definitely saw a resemblance there...and I mean that as a complement.

I was impressed with how well the eligible skaters were able to blend in and look right at home in this show environment. I never suspected Jeff and Joannie could rock out on the ice as well as they did during their second numbers! :rock:

All and all, a very entertaining show! :agree:

emma

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if they plan to air this again anytime soon?

Thanks

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Darn I missed it. I hope it is repeated. Thanks for the reports.

ETA: I checked Heather's TV Schedule and it will be repeated
on Style Network on 1/13/08 10-12 and on 1/18/08 at 5-7. Not sure if it is EST though.

Last edited:

discoduck

On the Ice
I really enjoyed the show. Of course my favorite number was Kurt and Shae's duet which was as fabulous as I expected. They have so much charisma on the ice! Between the two of them in the group numbers, I nearly forgot anyone else was out there. :laugh:

I also enjoyed D/L's second number to the Temptations song. I wonder if it's one of their Stars programs since it looked pretty well trained to be new and Marie was singing along. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I haven't watched it yet I taped it yesterday... but I did see the opening and they REALLY need to work on openings for the pro shows that are being shown on TV... I can imagine a lot of raitings were LOST just because the opening left a LOT to be desired (and lets face it if we want skating to stay on TV then competitions and shows all have to have entertainment and excitement levels hit the ceiling)

Jhar55

Medalist
Loved it, good change to see all the amutres, instead of the pros who usally do his show.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I miss the golden era gang... so many are retired or getting there... :no: sad times

Teenes

On the Ice
I haven't watched it yet I taped it yesterday... but I did see the opening and they REALLY need to work on openings for the pro shows that are being shown on TV... I can imagine a lot of raitings were LOST just because the opening left a LOT to be desired (and lets face it if we want skating to stay on TV then competitions and shows all have to have entertainment and excitement levels hit the ceiling)

Yeah the opening number was pretty weak. I think it didn't help they were trying to perform the Temptations' choreography, which is designed for five men standing at microphones, so it was very arm/upper-body heavy and very static. Plus, the camera angles didn't even make it obvious they were just all doing the choreography at the same time. Ah well. I still don't know how Lea Ann Miller can come up with group choreography for like 8-10 shows a year, so I give her props for that. But with the limited rehearsal time and all, those openings often don't particularly stand out.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
and I understood that, but they need to get away from that in some way... it's like writing a paper/book... without the grab of that first thought on teh paper you'll lose a lot of potential readers/viewers before you get to the heart...

and now I'm picturing Snoopy on his dog house with the typewriter "It was a dark and stormy night."

treeskater

Rinkside
80watt - welcome! I didn't know there had been a previous discussion about SC's new look either - and it was the first thing I noticed! I also wondered if it would effect her skating timing etc but she has kept it a very natural look, not overlydone so she tilts......she skated well too although sometimes it is hard to know if there were any retakes spliced into the tv version......

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
IIRC there was a debate during Frosted Pink and a time before that

basically soem thought she had work done, others said she gained weight... whatever, no biggie either way, she looks great, skates great, and that's what this is about.