Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: Fumie Suguri to miss making Japans World team yet again

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,177

    Fumie Suguri to miss making Japans World team yet again

    From what I have seen so far, although it is very early, there is nothing that indicates the pitcture from Japanese Nationals will change from last year. Despite her upset victory over Mao and Yu-Na at Worlds last year, Miki Ando looks quite likely to settle for runner up in Japanese Nationals yet again. Miki started her season sluggishly with a loss to Meissner at Skate America, while Mao debuted on the GP circuit also with performances that are sluggish for her own high standards but still posted a win at Skate Canada, and much higher point total then Miki managed at Skate America. Yukari Nakano looks much stronger then Fumie Suguri to start the season, and was very impressive at Skate Canada minus a fall in the short program. Fumie is not an early season skater, but there are many disturbing signs for her, for starters how much lower her PCS are then they used to be, last year they were lower, and now they are even lower and worringly low for her, even for an off competition. I really dont see Fumie surpassing Yukari at Japanese Nationals the way things look now, and I think you will see Fumie miss Worlds a 2nd straight year.

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21 View Post
    From what I have seen so far, although it is very early, there is nothing that indicates the pitcture from Japanese Nationals will change from last year. Despite her upset victory over Mao and Yu-Na at Worlds last year, Miki Ando looks quite likely to settle for runner up in Japanese Nationals yet again. Miki started her season sluggishly with a loss to Meissner at Skate America, while Mao debuted on the GP circuit also with performances that are sluggish for her own high standards but still posted a win at Skate Canada, and much higher point total then Miki managed at Skate America. Yukari Nakano looks much stronger then Fumie Suguri to start the season, and was very impressive at Skate Canada minus a fall in the short program. Fumie is not an early season skater, but there are many disturbing signs for her, for starters how much lower her PCS are then they used to be, last year they were lower, and now they are even lower and worringly low for her, even for an off competition. I really dont see Fumie surpassing Yukari at Japanese Nationals the way things look now, and I think you will see Fumie miss Worlds a 2nd straight year.
    First of all, Miki is seriously out of shape. During Skate America, she looked unsteady on her feet and she wouldn't do triple-triples, settling for triple-double combinations instead. I am not sure what has gone wrong, but she's not conditioned at this point to be a serious competitor. I would say that in the shape she is, she can only contend for a bronze medal at best and has no chances at a silver if she continues at this place.

    As for Fumie Suguri, the Japanese ladies are the strongest in the whole world as all three came in the top 5. I like Fumie but making the Japanese podium these days is impossible for anyone who doesn't skate a loaded 7-triple program with a triple-triple built in. There is nothing to be done about this situation. If Fumie were competing in some other country, she'd have a great chance of making it to Worlds, but in Japan it just ain't gonna happen.

  3. #3
    The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Posts
    1,892
    The Japenese team is way to deep!

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,051
    Maybe, Fumie is just starting slow this season. Think MK in the '02/'03 season --her FS was horrible at SA (where she stepped in when Sarah Hughes got hurt), but by Nats and Worlds, she was much better.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,567
    Miki injured her shoulder again and was skating somewhat tentatively at Skate America as a result. I wouldn't make any late-season projections based on her performance at Reading, and the scores of ALL the ladies were low because of the nitpicking caller.

    I'd say that Mao's skating was more off (for her) than Miki's was, and it's probably because she's had a pretty big growth spurt. She doesn't seem to have a reliable 3A right now, and she's being slammed with UR and edge deductions. Again, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions as to how the rest of the season will shape up.

    Let's see how Suguri does at CoR before writing the rest of her season off.

    It's still the early season, folks, let's give the skaters a bit of a break!

  6. #6
    Desperate Mouse Killer kandidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    814
    Looking at the situation right now, it seems so that she will lose her worlds seat to Nakano.

  7. #7
    Custom Title kikakiks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21 View Post
    Fumie is not an early season skater, but there are many disturbing signs for her, for starters how much lower her PCS are then they used to be, last year they were lower, and now they are even lower and worringly low for her, even for an off competition.
    Anyone has a complete/expert explanation on why her pcs have gone down so badly? She looked tentative to me, but I would like to know some others' impressions.
    Are maybe the judges suggesting her "it's time to quit"? (though I hope it's not the case)

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,567
    Quote Originally Posted by kandidy View Post
    Looking at the situation right now, it seems so that she will lose her worlds seat to Nakano.

    Suguri didn't have the Worlds seat last season: Nakano did, so it's Nakano's world seat, isn't it?

  9. #9
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    I would not count on Fumie being at worlds, but then again you never know. don't forget that fumie beat Mao and Shizuka Arakawa and Nakano for the Japanese title in 2006.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,177
    Quote Originally Posted by kikakiks View Post
    Are maybe the judges suggesting her "it's time to quit"? (though I hope it's not the case)
    I suspect that has alot to do with it.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    First of all, Miki is seriously out of shape. During Skate America, she looked unsteady on her feet and she wouldn't do triple-triples, settling for triple-double combinations instead. I am not sure what has gone wrong, but she's not conditioned at this point to be a serious competitor. I would say that in the shape she is, she can only contend for a bronze medal at best and has no chances at a silver if she continues at this place.

    As for Fumie Suguri, the Japanese ladies are the strongest in the whole world as all three came in the top 5. I like Fumie but making the Japanese podium these days is impossible for anyone who doesn't skate a loaded 7-triple program with a triple-triple built in. There is nothing to be done about this situation. If Fumie were competing in some other country, she'd have a great chance of making it to Worlds, but in Japan it just ain't gonna happen.
    I have always liked Fumie's skating. I wish she had a Canadian link and could try out for the Canadian World team......................

  12. #12
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    Y'all are pretty harsh and in some cases simply not fair... we've had what? two competitions and the fans cannot be content to let the season play itself out...

    Last year I just about OD'ed on how Mao was a lock for the world championship, Miki would be lucky to fight for bronze over pewter and that the Japanese ladies were "unbeatable" and a lot of that proved to untrue...

    Just wait and see... You might be plesantly surprised with how things play themselves out...

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    Y'all are pretty harsh and in some cases simply not fair... we've had what? two competitions and the fans cannot be content to let the season play itself out...

    Last year I just about OD'ed on how Mao was a lock for the world championship, Miki would be lucky to fight for bronze over pewter and that the Japanese ladies were "unbeatable" and a lot of that proved to untrue...

    Just wait and see... You might be plesantly surprised with how things play themselves out...
    The thing with Fumie though isnt just judging her on a bad first event of the season, particularly since she is not an early season skater anyway. It is that her first event is a continuation of some trends. Basically her attempted technical content going further downhill, her PCS even for bad skates going to depths they have never sunk before, things like that. It is a continuation of what was happening last season, and now going to even further extremes.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    652
    Quote Originally Posted by slutskayafan21 View Post
    Basically her attempted technical content going further downhill, her PCS even for bad skates going to depths they have never sunk before, things like that. It is a continuation of what was happening last season, and now going to even further extremes.
    In 2005-2006, which was arguably Fumie's best season, she placed 8th at Skate Canada. She did receive slightly higher PCS there, but this year's CoC was stingy with the PCS anyways so that really doesn't mean much. I don't think she'll make the Japanese team, but I think it would be due to Nakano's continued improvement rather than deterioration in her own skating.

  15. #15
    Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,029
    Maybe fumie should find a partner and began to skate pairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •