Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No-jump skating

No-jump skating

If there were a sport called skating-without-jumps, who would be on your all-star team?

Here's mine: Shae-Lynn Bourne as a solo skater; Lucinda Ruh; Alissa Czisny; Yukina Ota.

Custom Title
    Men: Alexei Yagudin, Kurt Browning, Jeffrey Buttle, Johnny Weir.

Ladies: Ekaterina Gordeeva, Sasha Cohen.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 11-14-2007 at 09:42 PM.

Vancouver 2010, 247.23, Bronze
    Ryo Shibata

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Michelle Kwan, Angela Nikodinov, Dorothy Hamill, Yuka Sato, Nicole Bobek, Sarah Meier, Paul Wylie, Brian Boitano, Kurt Browning, Stephane Lambiel, Jeremy Abbott, Jeffrey Buttle, Patrick Chan, Shawn Sawyer, Diasuke Takahashi, Matt Savoie, and Ryan Jahnke
    Last edited by museksk8r; 11-15-2007 at 12:45 PM.

Cool concept!
    I'd have to agree with many suggested already!
    Kurt, Shae Lynn, Sasha Cohen, Lucindah Ruh, Nicole Bobek, Katia Gordeeva, Yuka Sato, Johnny Weir, Ilia Kulik.

Custom Title
    David Liu

edited to add Josee Chouinard
    Last edited by gkelly; 11-14-2007 at 11:12 PM.

I vote for Lucindah Ruh,too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kandidy View Post
    I vote for Lucindah Ruh,too.
    stephane lambiel, Ekaterina Gordeeva, Shae-Lynn Bourne, Kurt Browning, Brian Orser, Alexei Yagudin

Go NJ Devils
    John Curry.

The great ballet writer and critic Robert Greskovic wrote yesterday in the Wall Street Journal,

Meanwhile, elsewhere in Manhattan, Ice Theatre of New York offered another 1970s wonder: Ms. Tharp's "After All" (to Tomaso Albinoni). This ice "dance" dates from 1976, when it was created for the great figure-skating champion John Curry. "After All" was revived here by the skating troupe for the first time since Curry, who died in 1994, stopped doing it. When Curry first performed the three-movement, solo work, it was a beacon of hope for the art of skating. The ever-scrupulous Ms. Tharp had arranged a work of real choreographic finesse that honors the integrity for skating's fine-edge schooling. It was something quite beyond what Curry used to call the "bunny suit" acts of "Ice Capades."

Curry's impassioned work with ice theater helped turn the tide, but seeing "After All" in this current, welcome reappearance on a program where nothing else even barely compared to its depth and coherence proved that much remains to be done. The raised standards that were set on ice during the same decade that gave ballet the 1970s works that ABT recently brought back to glory have yet to be consistently met or respected.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1194...googlenews_wsj

Then, Maya Usova, Janet Lynn, Shizuka Arakawa, Susanna Poykio, Ekaterina Gordeeva, and Johnny Weir. And I have high hopes for Patrick Chan.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228 View Post
    John Curry.

The great ballet writer and critic Robert Greskovic wrote yesterday in the Wall Street Journal,

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1194...googlenews_wsj

Then, Maya Usova, Janet Lynn, Shizuka Arakawa, Susanna Poykio, Ekaterina Gordeeva, and Johnny Weir. And I have high hopes for Patrick Chan.
    Poykio is an absolutely amazing skater, but no one notices her unfortunately. Darn it.

Skating solo without jumps requires first rate musicality, versatility, and ability to manipulate edging. I think without those abilities one would want to see the jumping tricks.

I would put in order of preference: John Curry. David Liu, Stephane Lambiel, Kurt Browning, Ilia Kulic, Michelle Kwan, and Shae Lynn. There may be more that I haven't seen.

Joe

Custom Title
    The musicality, the death-sure edge quality, the high-tech spins ant the touch of art. Here is my list
    Men: John Curry, Stephane Lambiel, Ilia Kulik, Toller Cranston, Christopher Dean, Oleg Protapopov.

Ladies: Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Jayne Torvill, Ludmilla Protapopova(Bielouszova).

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    I would have to go with many of the names already said and add
    Dorothy Hamill
    Babalonia and Gardner
    the Protopopov's
    (give me a break for the spelling please)
    Torvill and Dean

Banned
    Stephane Lambiel, Todd Eldredge, Alexei Yagudin, Johnny Weir, Jeffrey Buttle

Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Caryn Kadavy, Dorothy Hamill, Anna Kondrashova

Michelle, Sasha, Yuka Sato - each of these ladies has great style and movement on the ice without jumps.

Lambiel, Wier and Kulik - I could watch them skate all day.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast