No-jump skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

No-jump skating

feraina

Record Breaker
Caroline Zhang, on the other hand -- well, it's too early really to form an opinion, but right now I would say that her non-jump elements are to die for, but her jumps can sometimes be a distraction from the quality of the rest of the program, instead of an enhancement.

Did you see her CoC exhibition program? I thought the 3Z/3T added wonderfully to the program, and her speed, flow, presentation really all improve so much in exhibitions compared to competitions. Plus she can put in all those breath-taking spins and spirals. :love:

I think the divide between jump-allowed versus jump-prohibited programs is ill-posed. It is better to think of it as jump-emphasized competitive programs versus entertainment-emphasized exhibition programs.

There are diehard fans of Johnny in here! :yes: and I am one of them, but can you really link me to a versatile Johnny? He's always the same soft skating guy that looks like an old smoothie even his 'Sinatra'. Nothing wrong with that but, versatility is part of my criteria, and I have yet to see him take the bull by the horns. He does have musicality and ability to manipulate edges.

If you want to see a real 'danseur' on skates, see if you can get a youtube of David Liu. Of course, David was also with the NYC Ballet.

Joe

I think it would be quite tricky to compose a satisfactory program with no jumps.
Regardless of the 'eligibility' status, there is a difference between Pros and Amateurs.

Choreography is a creative art form; Skating is a performing art form. The former wracks your mind; the latter wracks your body.

Can David Wilson perform his skate choreography?

Can Johnny Weir create his choreography?

Maybe we can limit all this to Curry, Cranston, Browning and Kulic. And probably Lambiel.

Some of the above is fact but much is also JMO.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
good thread!

Sasha :love::love:

Michelle Kwan

Ekaterina Goordeeva

Katerina Witt

Sale and Pellitier

But he's already done that. This season's exhibition numbers are his own creations. Plus, his new short.
Yes, many skaters get creative thoughts but are they good? Would you say Johnny's choreography is as good as Twyla Tharpe? Fans of Johnny will defend him at all costs. That's what fans are all about.

I haven't see the exhibition number but if I get a chance I'll have a look and maybe Johnny does have some creative talent. Hope so.

Joe

PS. Does he have versatility which is my minus point on Johnny?

Last edited:

Audrey19

On the Ice
Shizuka Arakawa, Sasha Cohen

Stephane Lambiel, Alexei Yagudin, Jeffrey Buttle, Johnny Weir
:agree:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Yes, many skaters get creative thoughts but are they good? Would you say Johnny's choreography is as good as Twyla Tharpe?
No, I wouldn't say that. B/c I have no idea who Twyla Tharpe is.

Fans of Johnny will defend him at all costs. That's what fans are all about.
Yeah, they'd do that. Sometimes I wonder though whether he needs that kind of protection, all the time. He's a grown-up now. He'll be fine.

I haven't see the exhibition number but if I get a chance I'll have a look and maybe Johnny does have some creative talent. Hope so.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=i0I30MzBtCU

Does he have versatility which is my minus point on Johnny?
I guess he doesn't then. But if top 10 mens skated with sacks over their heads, I'd be able to name every single one correctly. Could you?

But if top 10 mens skated with sacks over their heads, I'd be able to name every single one correctly. Could you?
!!!!! What a great game! :rock: I would definitely pay to see an exhibition like that, then you could try to win a prize by guessing everyone right.

Like Nancy Kerrigan's Halloween show where the skaters came dressed up like Frankenstein, Dracula, etc., and you had to guess who was Todd Eldredge, who was Kurt Browning. (I knew it was Shae-lynn Bourne when the Black Cat did a hydroplane.) :)

Teenes

On the Ice
Given that Kurt Browning has already done very compelling no-jump programs ("Nyah" being the most obvious example, but even "Johnny Guitar" back in his eligible days), he's an obvious candidate for me. Same for Shae-Lynn Bourne who only recently started adding jumps to her programs. Other candidates - Katia Gordeeva, Yuka Sato (particularly if she's doing a footwork filled program choreographed by Kurt ;)), Ilia Kulik....

treeskater

Rinkside
Gotta add Robin Cousins! Actually Christopher Bowman, in his prime, was breathtaking.... Add Katherine Healy too.

Hsuhs;274883[/QUOTE said:
I guess he doesn't then. But if top 10 mens skated with sacks over their heads, I'd be able to name every single one correctly. Could you?
:laugh: :laugh: I'd love to see that. but I think there are too many factors which would give the skaters away. And thanks for the link to Johnny's exhibition.

Joe

Lois

Rinkside
I'm sure I'll forget quite a few, but right now my top picks would be:

Robin Cousins, Robert Wagenhoffer, Paul Wylie, David Liu, Rohene Ward, Jeff Buttle, John Curry, Rudy Cerne, Johnny Weir, Matt Savoie, Michael Chack, Craig Heath, Dennis Coi, Shaun McGill

Nathalie Krieg, Lucinda Ruh, Kay Thomson, Sasha Cohen, Shizuka Arakawa, Joanna Ng, Naomi Nari Nam, Yuka Sato, Katherine Healy, Alissa Czisny, Jeri Campbell