VCR Alert - Cup of China | Golden Skate

VCR Alert - Cup of China

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Sunday, November 18th

3:30-7:00 PM EST

on ESPN.

Is anyone suprised that this coverage is actually 3 and 1/2 hours long :eek:

Usually you don't see coverage this long until the World Championships.

I am so happy :)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the heads up. Goodness 3 1/2 hrs, seems like we will get to see all disciplines, or a lot of fluff.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
It's because there were so many American medalists.:p We may even get to see both of Johnny and Evan's shorts. Also, ironically, splatfests often get a bit more coverage, so the viewer can understand why the person who fell down so much did so well anyway-observe the covering of all the men's performances at last year's Skate Canada. I don't think they're going to show all the ladies between Suguri and the podium(I think they'll show her though), but we may see the entire second group.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
with ESPN you can chalk a lot of it up to fluff...

I mean how many "she goes to harvard" things did we REALLY need during Skate Canada? :laugh:

Also find out what sport is on before the figure skating. If it's a team sport, it may run over time. Come to think of it, Golf, too.

If it's a news cast of 2 blokes rehashing the latest in sports, that may well end on time.

Joe

sillylionlove

Medalist
Bowling is on before figured skating I think. So there should be no problem with anything running over.

MissCleo

On the Ice
I missed the first 15 minutes. I turned on the tv, and saw Peter intervewin Caroline Z. Did I miss anybody elses short program? also, it sounds like there is a new commentator. Who is that lady?

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Wow, Stephane hit his head REALLY hard! And he got his wisdom teeth out a couple days before this? Well I'm not that disappointed anymore. Poor guy.

mystichaze

On the Ice
I felt so bad for Stephane as he awaited his scores in the kiss & cry. He looked so dejected. I hope he comes back in better form in his next event. The new lady commentator is Tracy Wilson. She used to do commentary for CBS's Olympic coverage and also works for the CBC in Canada.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I felt so bad for Stephane as he awaited his scores in the kiss & cry. He looked so dejected. I hope he comes back in better form in his next event. The new lady commentator is Tracy Wilson. She used to do commentary for CBS's Olympic coverage and also works for the CBC in Canada.
Isn't Tracy one of Yu-na's coaches.. It seems to me kind of a conflict of interest..

I love Yu-na but after the Pairs debatcle in Salt Lake I like to see the commentators a little less biased.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Man, ESPN coverage totally dissed Alissa. Not even a mention of her name neither in SP or LP.

Well considering that Alissa didn't manage to land a single clean triple in her long program, one could argue that they were being merciful.

fourclover

On the Ice
Well considering that Alissa didn't manage to land a single clean triple in her long program, one could argue that they were being merciful.

They just mentioned her now... she's in 8th place. So there's Caroline, Bebe, Kimmie and Ashley in U.S. Ladies team. I wonder if Alissa's going to be dropped from the radar for good.

Last edited:

luvsasha

Final Flight
The coverage was so long today!! it was awesome.
watching Stephane struggle was so sad. everytime he fell, i was like awww..that stinks. i hope he can skate better at CoR this week.
Caroline was lovely as always. Too bad she fell twice but there was alot of that in this competition. :-(

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I remembered to program it on my TV... but not eh VCR... so I missed the first hour and a half! UGH!

oh well...

carolinefan177

On the Ice
I thought it was sweet how Caroline acknowledged her injury but at the same time admitted that she did not want to make "excuses" for herself.:rock:

This little lady is going places

Wrlmy

Medalist
I thought it was sweet how Caroline acknowledged her injury but at the same time admitted that she did not want to make "excuses" for herself.:rock:

This little lady is going places

She has such a classy attitude and prefessionalism for her age. I hope Caroline, Ashley, and Mirai will make up the strongest team ever when they reach their full potentials.

And, off the topic, I'm impressed with Yuna's English! She probably saw what Peter's done to poor Mao:laugh: Hope she becomes more articulate, but her command of the language is pretty good. Notice how Peter asks his first question as if talking to a child, and after Yuna responds pretty well, he talks in normal speed:laugh:

carolinefan177

On the Ice
She has such a classy attitude and prefessionalism for her age. I hope Caroline, Ashley, and Mirai will make up the strongest team ever when they reach their full potentials.

And, off the topic, I'm impressed with Yuna's English! She probably saw what Peter's done to poor Mao:laugh: Hope she becomes more articulate, but her command of the language is pretty good. Notice how Peter asks his first question as if talking to a child, and after Yuna responds pretty well, he talks in normal speed:laugh:

Peter always makes me smile!

Ditto on Yu-Na's English!!

Linny

Final Flight
Loved the coverage

Absolutely was happy and fulfilled. I'm sending a compliment directly to ESPN. Guys - they might also be influenced by those counters that they keep on the Youtube videos. I don't know for sure, but it would make sense that if an advertiser sees that so many people are interested in figure skating that they watch the videos, that same advertiser might spend their dollars for the broadcast. There's probably a huge audience who isn't buying tickets to attend the live event simply due to the cost of travel. Maybe figure skating isn't on the wan as much as has been speculated.

Peter should take 10 seconds with the interviewee before appearing on camera to find out if they need their first question posed slowly and succinctly. Yu-Na is speaking English with a pronounced Canadian accent. I lurf it! Thumbs up to her Canadian English coaches!

Linny