Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Joubert is withdrawn due to sickness...

  1. #1
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3

    Joubert is withdrawn due to sickness...

    Reliable french source:
    http://www.lequipe.fr/Ski/breves2007...102004Dev.html

    Now, the road to the win is more opened.
    In any case, this will be an unprecedented Grand Prix winner: Preaubert, Verner, VDP, or the others, have a very good opportunity here.

    Go Kevin!

  2. #2
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    That's a bummer for Brian. It's also a bummer for the fans. Lets all hope for non serious developments and he skates his Nats and Euros.

    Looks like VDP has a shot at gold here, along with Verner and Preaubert. But not to forget that Chan's winning personality and technical ability will yet get him a higher medal.

    Joe

  3. #3
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    People are foolish discounting Chan's chances I think. Chan's total scores at Skate America were 10 points higher than VDP. Although I think that Verner will win it.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,177
    Verner should win it unless he collapses. Neither Chan or Van Der Perren can approach the kind of skating he did at Worlds. I predict Chan to be 2nd over Van Der Perren though. Mabee vs Chan will be interesting since they will be battling probably for a spot to Worlds for Canada, so how they fare in this meeting is important.

  5. #5
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    I wouldn't underestimate the podium finish of any of the guys including Mabee.

    joe

  6. #6
    Keepin' it real gsk8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,796
    Here's another press release in English for those interested.

    Press release by Brian Joubert
    November 15, 2007
    „It is with death in my soul that I announce my withdrawal from Trophée Bompard today. Since returning from Quebec City I have been suffering from an illness that still has to be diagnosed and whose prognosis still has to be determined. After consultations this week I will undergo a blood analysis and additional testing of the lungs this morning. In spite of that I have been delaying until today my withdrawal from this event which touches my heart so much. Hopefully, you will understand my disappointment and my deep regret to be not able to defend my title in Bercy.
    I am aware of the impact my withdrawal has for the national and international organizations involved, for the organizers, for the public, for the media and especially for Eric Bompard who is much more to me than a sponsoring partner. After my success at Skate Canada, I really wanted to be twice as good in Paris at the POPB (Palais Omnisports Paris Bercy) and to qualify for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in Turin.
    As World Champion, I am more than anyone aware of the responsibility of promoting my sport and the responsibility towards its supporters. In my career of more than 15 years, I have been forced to withdraw only three times from an event.
    But today, in my current physical condition, I am definitely not able to participate in an international competition. I am sick and, now, most of all, I have to become healthy again. After recovering my health, I will take care of myself and work even harder to give my best when I return to the ice which I wish will happen as soon as possible.”

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,618
    Oh, poor Brian - what a sweet and responsible statement. I feel awful for him - what is wrong, I hope he gets a proper diagnosis and recovers fully and quickly. I'll miss him so much this week, but hope to see him back in full force soon!

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,177
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    Here's another press release in English for those interested.

    Press release by Brian Joubert
    November 15, 2007
    „It is with death in my soul that I announce my withdrawal from Trophée Bompard today. Since returning from Quebec City I have been suffering from an illness that still has to be diagnosed and whose prognosis still has to be determined. After consultations this week I will undergo a blood analysis and additional testing of the lungs this morning. In spite of that I have been delaying until today my withdrawal from this event which touches my heart so much. Hopefully, you will understand my disappointment and my deep regret to be not able to defend my title in Bercy.
    I am aware of the impact my withdrawal has for the national and international organizations involved, for the organizers, for the public, for the media and especially for Eric Bompard who is much more to me than a sponsoring partner. After my success at Skate Canada, I really wanted to be twice as good in Paris at the POPB (Palais Omnisports Paris Bercy) and to qualify for the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final in Turin.
    As World Champion, I am more than anyone aware of the responsibility of promoting my sport and the responsibility towards its supporters. In my career of more than 15 years, I have been forced to withdraw only three times from an event.
    But today, in my current physical condition, I am definitely not able to participate in an international competition. I am sick and, now, most of all, I have to become healthy again. After recovering my health, I will take care of myself and work even harder to give my best when I return to the ice which I wish will happen as soon as possible.”
    Thanks for posting that. I am not a Joubert fan but sad to hear, especialy that he takes it so much to heart. The GP final wont be right without him either, he is clearly the "guy to beat" at the moment.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,560
    Oh, no! I felt for him. That is dreadful. I hope it's not anything worse than it has already sounded. I hope he will recover soon for the worlds this year. And I still think that Brian will be gold in 2010 Olympics.

  10. #10
    Desperate Mouse Killer kandidy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    814
    Poor him, that's open the door of champion to Takahashi.

  11. #11
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    People are foolish discounting Chan's chances I think. Chan's total scores at Skate America were 10 points higher than VDP. Although I think that Verner will win it.
    Sorry, I was focused on European chances, by patriotism.
    But, surely, one of our North-American friends will be on the podium, at least!

  12. #12
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,335
    Thanks for alerting us to the sad news, Angwyshaunce, and welcome to the forum.

  13. #13
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    Hmmm... do you think I should take off work and fly to France and nurse him back to health???

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,177
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwanford Wife View Post
    Hmmm... do you think I should take off work and fly to France and nurse him back to health???
    Oh I am sure you would love that. :chorus:

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    130
    this is an article from yahoo
    1 hour, 17 minutes ago

    PARIS (AFP) - World figure skating champion Brian Joubert of France has pulled out of the Trophee Eric Bompard, the fourth in the six-leg Grand Prix figure skating series starting at Paris-Bercy on Friday, for health reasons.
    ADVERTISEMENT

    Joubert, also the reigning European champion, said: "It is with a heavy heart that I today announce my non-appearance in the Eric Bompard trophy. Since returning from Quebec, I am having hard to identify health problems.

    "Even though, I waited till today to announce my pull-out because this competition is so close to my heart. I could not possibly take part in an international competition in poor health."

    Didier Gailhaguet, Joubert's adviser, told AFP that he was in hospital in Poitiers to have a whole series of health checks.

    "I was surprised when I saw videos of him at Skate Canada because he was physically under par and making some inhabitual errors," said Gailhaguet. "When he returned to Poitiers his daily training sessions were getting more and more difficult.

    "His legs would shake and he couldn't even climb the stairs at his home. He is extremely disappointed not to come to Paris but he needs to find out the cause of his problems and deal with it."

    Now I'm scared. He caught an unknow desease at Canada and the medicines at Poitiers can't reveal this. He suffers something strange, lacks strength and he couldn't even climb the stairs at his home. I deeply wish him a quickly recover. TEB won't be the same without him.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •