View Poll Results: Best pairs team of all time?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Andree Brunet/Pierre Brunet

0 0%
  • Maxi Herber/Ernst Baier

0 0%
  • Barbara Wagner/Robert Paul

2 1.15%
  • Ljudmila Protopopov/Oleg Protopopov

14 8.05%
  • Irina Rodnina/Alexandr Zaitsev

6 3.45%
  • Elena Valova/Oleg Vasiliev

0 0%
  • Ekaterina Gordeeva/Sergei Grinkov

90 51.72%
  • Xue Shen/Hongbo Zhao

43 24.71%
  • Barbara Underhill/Paul Martini

3 1.72%
  • other

16 9.20%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best pairs team of all time?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteam4501s View Post
    I voted for Gordeeva&Grinkov - and I would not change that - but you should also have listed (1)Natalia Mishkutenok&Arthur Dmitriev, who won 1992 Gold and 1994 Silver behind G&G - and

(2)Oksana Kazakova&Arthur Dmitriev(AGAIN!), who won 1998 Gold.

Arthur Dmitriev is the only pairs skater to have won two Olympics with two different partners!
    Listing Kazahkova/Dmitriev would be too much, they never even won a world title or GP title, their only big win was the Olympics (and 1 European title with the top team at the time withdrawn) and they certainly didnt make any great impact on the sport as a pair. I see one suggesting I should have had an option for Mishkutienok/Dmitriev, but if it comes to bringing up the 2nd pair it is better to just have an option for Dmitriev himself as a pairs skater.

Custom Title
    I would agree to some extent about Kasakova/Dmitriev - but remember, Mishkutenok/Dmitriev made a sensational impact from their '92 Olympic Gold and also gave a great, dynamic performance at the '94 Games as well. Even I, one of the most rabid G&G fans in the world, saw a lot of good arguments for M&D winning that competition.

I must also confess to a bit of bias here - - In September 1991, while on a vacation out west, I spent a couple of days in Colorado Springs. I first visited the museum at USFSA headquarters and ogled at Jill Trenary's red skating costume - I was in my Jill Trenary crush at the time. Then I went to the Old Broadmoor Arena (the original one) and sat down in the stands with many other visitors that day - and I spotted Natalia Mishkutenok practicing and also apparently helping some of the youngsters out on the ice. I walked to the box office and asked the man there if I could possibly meet her in person - and to my delight he went inside the arena with me and called her over! I must tell you for those few moments I was a 50-year-old teenager(my 50th birthday was just a few days earlier on Sept. 14th)!! Natalia shook hands and then gave me a kiss on the cheek - and I can tell you without hesitation, she had one of the most beautiful faces up close that I still to this day, have EVER seen!

Custom Title
    Gordeeva/Grinkov simply fantastic but followed by:

Mishkutenok/Kazakova/Dmitriev
    Sale/Pelletier
    Kovarikova/Novotny
    Bereznaya/Sikhaluridze
    Woetzel/Steuer
    Shen/Zhao
    Savchenko/Szolkowy

On the Ice
    Xue Shen / Hongbo Zhao 1994--2007 compete in international competitions.
    And may be come back in a year time.

Custom Title

Best pairs team of all time?

Gordeeva and Grinkov by a long shot.

They truly eptiomized the term "skating as one". Watching the Grand Prix final yesterday only confirmed in my mind that there is currently no pair team that comes close to G & G. I don't mean this to sound mean but the current pair skaters are hackers compared to the likes of G & G. This includes the current Chinese who may have the biggest throws but don't have the unison and grace that made G & G the best ever.

Dizzy

Dizzy........you said it all........Katia and Sergei all the way.....42

Custom Title
    other: Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze or Mishkutionok & Dmitriev

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Just have to re-visit this thread since I watched a 1980 performance by Rodnina and Zaitsev today. Wow, I want to change my vote! The amazing footwork they could do, the absolute unison not just during big tricks but also while stroking, the polish of all the big moves, just wow. I don't know why I wasn't struck by them before, although I didn't get into watching FS until the 1980 Olys, and even then it was mostly the men I remember through about 1988.

Anyway, Rodnina and Zaitsev were magnificent, and their choreography still looks powerful to me today, and not dated. I'll have to start buying up some old tapes!

Please, anyone, share your thoughts. And how was Irina with her first partner?

Thanks!

Edgy Details
    Mishkutienok/Dmitriev.........
    I did like G/G, but I am not crazy about them.

Natalia Mishkuteniok/Artur Dmitriev

Tripping on the Podium
    1. Aljona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy
    2. Tatiana Totmianina/Maxim Marinin
    3. Yelena Berezhnaya/Anton Sikharulidze
    4. Ekaterina Gordeeva/Sergei Grinkov
    5. Xue Shen/Hongbo Zhao

Rinkside
    Gordeeva & Grinkov, no doubt, but the Protopopov are great too and made a lot for pair skating.

practice makes perfect victoria90's Avatar
    Katia & Sergei
    In my opinion they'll always be the best.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    G&G all the way. There is not team that can even come close to them!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2