Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maxi Herber/Ernst Baier

• Elena Valova/Oleg Vasiliev

• Total voters

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Who do you consider the best pairs team of all time?

The reason I included Underhill/Martini as even an option was their professional career which was absolutely phenomenal, certainly not based on their amateur career alone.

Myself and allthat were the first 2 to vote and we both voted for Gordeeva/Grinkov.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Katia and Sergei - they were the first of what all pairs teams should strive to be... :)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I voted for Shen & Xhao... while I understand most of the other team's votes GOAT status always comes down to a simple formula for me... who gave me chills? who did I know was an experience to watch? and who made me say WHOO WOO!! at the end of their performance?

For me it was no contest...

dutchherder

Final Flight
I voted for the Protopopovs. Who else on the list will be doing lifts in their 70's? Um, NOBODY you say?? That's right!!!

My sentimental favorites, though, are Underhill and Martini. Talk about chemistry on the ice. I submit that not even Gordeeva and Grinkov had more. That's right. I said it.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I voted for the Protopopovs. Who else on the list will be doing lifts in their 70's? Um, NOBODY you say?? That's right!!!

My sentimental favorites, though, are Underhill and Martini. Talk about chemistry on the ice. I submit that not even Gordeeva and Grinkov had more. That's right. I said it.

Now that's what I'm talking about... a woman with integrity... :rock:

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I voted for Gordeeva&Grinkov - and I would not change that - but you should also have listed (1)Natalia Mishkutenok&Arthur Dmitriev, who won 1992 Gold and 1994 Silver behind G&G - and

(2)Oksana Kazakova&Arthur Dmitriev(AGAIN!), who won 1998 Gold.

Arthur Dmitriev is the only pairs skater to have won two Olympics with two different partners!

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I stand corrected! Irina Rodnina won THREE Olympics - two with Zaitsev and one with Alexei Ulanov. Still, I believe Arthur Dmitriev should have been listed with both of his partners.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Other, Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze. They are the sole reason I watch pairs. They are amazing athletes and artists.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Those who vote "other" feel free to state who it is. After more votes are cast I will make a determination whether to begin a final revised poll like I already did for two of the disciplines when my initial polls showed some exclusions that were suggested to superior poll options to some of the inclusions.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I voted for Gordeeva&Grinkov - and I would not change that - but you should also have listed (1)Natalia Mishkutenok&Arthur Dmitriev, who won 1992 Gold and 1994 Silver behind G&G - and

(2)Oksana Kazakova&Arthur Dmitriev(AGAIN!), who won 1998 Gold.

Arthur Dmitriev is the only pairs skater to have won two Olympics with two different partners!

Listing Kazahkova/Dmitriev would be too much, they never even won a world title or GP title, their only big win was the Olympics (and 1 European title with the top team at the time withdrawn) and they certainly didnt make any great impact on the sport as a pair. I see one suggesting I should have had an option for Mishkutienok/Dmitriev, but if it comes to bringing up the 2nd pair it is better to just have an option for Dmitriev himself as a pairs skater.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
I would agree to some extent about Kasakova/Dmitriev - but remember, Mishkutenok/Dmitriev made a sensational impact from their '92 Olympic Gold and also gave a great, dynamic performance at the '94 Games as well. Even I, one of the most rabid G&G fans in the world, saw a lot of good arguments for M&D winning that competition.

I must also confess to a bit of bias here - :love: - In September 1991, while on a vacation out west, I spent a couple of days in Colorado Springs. I first visited the museum at USFSA headquarters and ogled at Jill Trenary's red skating costume - I was in my Jill Trenary crush at the time. Then I went to the Old Broadmoor Arena (the original one) and sat down in the stands with many other visitors that day - and I spotted Natalia Mishkutenok practicing and also apparently helping some of the youngsters out on the ice. I walked to the box office and asked the man there if I could possibly meet her in person - and to my delight he went inside the arena with me and called her over! I must tell you for those few moments I was a 50-year-old teenager(my 50th birthday was just a few days earlier on Sept. 14th)!! Natalia shook hands and then gave me a kiss on the cheek - and I can tell you without hesitation, she had one of the most beautiful faces up close that I still to this day, have EVER seen!:love::clap::laugh:

russell30

Final Flight
Gordeeva/Grinkov simply fantastic but followed by:

Mishkutenok/Kazakova/Dmitriev
Sale/Pelletier
Kovarikova/Novotny
Bereznaya/Sikhaluridze
Woetzel/Steuer
Shen/Zhao
Savchenko/Szolkowy

lyton

Rinkside
Xue Shen / Hongbo Zhao 1994--2007 compete in international competitions.
And may be come back in a year time.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Gordeeva and Grinkov by a long shot.

They truly eptiomized the term "skating as one". Watching the Grand Prix final yesterday only confirmed in my mind that there is currently no pair team that comes close to G & G. I don't mean this to sound mean but the current pair skaters are hackers compared to the likes of G & G. This includes the current Chinese who may have the biggest throws but don't have the unison and grace that made G & G the best ever.

Dizzy