Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Patrick Chan - Is He the Next Male Skater to Rank with the Greatest?

Patrick Chan - Is He the Next Male Skater to Rank with the Greatest?

given Patrick's age, 14, I believe. That's about the equivalent of a young 10-12 young lady. With serious practice, he should be doing everything the top male skaters are doing by 2010. I believe we will be talking about him in the year leading up to the Olys as a BIG contender for gold. Agree?

Joe

I believe Patrick is 16.

Banned
    Patrick Chan is not 14. He is 16 and turning 17 next month. Still very young but definitely not 14.

I agree he could be a contender for the next Olympic Gold but I wouldnt go so far yet. I will wait to see how he does at the GP final and Worlds to get a better idea. There are lots of strong men out there now.

Custom Title
    Patrick's birthday is December 31st - and he will be 17 this year......an awesome accomplishment *********** in Paris!!!
    Last edited by KwanFan1212; 11-17-2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: No spoilers in the Edge folder please.

Custom Title
    His combined score is second highest of this season behind Takahashi. I definitely see him as the next, if not already, great. I love how he has flow of Buttle with solid jumps. I really hope he has quads within couple years. Quadlessly, the best he can be is Johnny Weir or Nobunari Oda, which is not shabby at all. But, if he wants to be Olympics Champion, he will need one or two quads in his arsenal.

Down With It
    Spoilers...personally I don't care, but other folks might. ..

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    To rank with the greatest, he and every other male skater in the world will need a quad. ChanMan already has all the other jumps and all the necessary elements that the PCS value. It remains to be seen how he holds up under the pressure of a senior World Championship stage. I believe he is well on his way if he continues to skate as he has. Congrats to him and best wishes!

From landing first 3A in competition this past summer, to the high +GOE 3A he consistently now lands in the GP's, he's come a long way in technical ability in a short time. My guess is that he will work hard on that quad next summer, since he already does everything else so beautifully! Go Chan!

I really like Patrick a lot. He looks so powerful! I was tired of watching Ice Princess wannabe canadian male skaters.

If you want to see how Patrick did at Eric Bompard, check out the "Events" folder.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    i cannot say what the future hold for Patrick, but I have to say I was very impressed with his debut as a senior. His skating is very fluid and easy looking, very good chreography and interpratioin of the music, esp for one so young. He had great jumps, no quad yet, but as was said, he is still very young. I also get the sense he loves what he is doing and that dosen't hurt! I look foward to watching him this year and in the seasons to come!

Sorry I mussed up the age thing but in another thread I was comparing him to Stephen Carriere and age was brought up.

I do think before long we will be comparing him with Browning, Stoyko, Kulic, Yags, and Plush. Maybe even with Dick Button!

Joe

Patrick Chan was terrific at Skate America, and I'm hoping he has a wonderful season & beyond (doing my best ot stay "unspoiled" here).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    From landing first 3A in competition this past summer, to the high +GOE 3A he consistently now lands in the GP's, he's come a long way in technical ability in a short time. My guess is that he will work hard on that quad next summer, since he already does everything else so beautifully! Go Chan!
    ITA. That was something impressed me, the +2GOE 3A, and the high quality of everything else he did. I just checked a couple of minutes ago, he got all +GOEs in the LP, not -GOE at all. So I do believe that once he gets a quad, it would be just as solid. I Love the hight he got in his jumps and the beautiful position in the air, straight and tight.

Custom Title
    Yes. I'm sure Chan has huge, enormous potentials to be next best thing.
    I just watched his exhibition live on Russian web TV, and I'm pleasantly surprised that he has a way of making every move beautiful. His edge control is superb and even jumps are melting into a program so beautifully. Can't believe he's only 16.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast