Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vise/Trent throw quad Salchow ratified

News Vise/Trent throw quad Salchow ratified

From the ISU:

Mrs. Ann Hardy-Thomas, the Technical Controller of the Pairs event at 2007 Trophee Bompard in Paris, France officially ratified the following throw jump in the Free Program as clean:

Tiffany Vise/Derek Trent (USA) throw quadruple Salchow

The throw quadruple Salchow was landed for the first time in competition at an ISU event.

Congrats to Tiffany and Derek!

Too bad, Pang and Tong HAD TO skate a 3rd GP which would not even count for them. They had already made the Finals.

I still want to know how they were selected for a 3rd GP?

The bronze medal for V&T would be a nice token for the Quad Sal.

Joe

Tripping on the Podium
    Pairs are allowed to skate in 3 GP events (because there aren't as many pair teams as in other disciplines):

See section 2.2 paragraph H (on page 4) of the ISU GP announcement:
    http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=579

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    Good for them!

Congratulations Derek and Tiffany!!!

Go NJ Devils
    Congratulations to both!

Oh joy, just what pairs skating needs, another dangerous trick ...

Quote Originally Posted by ElFuego View Post
    Pairs are allowed to skate in 3 GP events (because there aren't as many pair teams as in other disciplines):

See section 2.2 paragraph H (on page 4) of the ISU GP announcement:
    http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=579
    It's not the rule that I am questioning. It's the selection. Why them?

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    Oh joy, just what pairs skating needs, another dangerous trick ...

Well congrats nonetheless

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I cannot wait to see the video. Amazing. An american pairs team is the first to land both the throw 3 axel and the throw quad!!!!!! Not the chinese, not the russians! Funny. and we still can't medal at worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I guess there just aren't enough top pairs teams around to fill up all the spots.

Anyway, according th the rules, first, the team has to request a third assignment. Then they are assigned in the order of their World ranking. Right now Savchenko and Szolkowy are ranked number one. They will skate their third (non-scoring) event at Cup of Russia (too bad for McLaughlin and Brubaker. )

Second is Zhang and Zhang. Z&Z are not assigned a third event. I don't know whether they did did not request one, or whether possibly they were ranked below Pang and Tong at the beginning of the season. (It's kind of hard to tell from the "current rankings" on the ISU site. The numbers don't add up to the listed totals, and they are weighted with different factors when the new season starts.)

Pang and Tong are third. So if Zhang and Zhang declined, then Pang and Tong and Savchenko and Szolkowy get the two extra assignments.

The only reason I can think of to accept a third assignment is for the prize money. Or maybe for the chance to practice their programs in front of the international judges.

As for knocking someone else out of the Grand Prix Final, the very top teams are going to make it anyway, so Pang and Tong would have no reason to care which of the lower ranked teams' chances were hurt or helped by their participation.
    Last edited by Mathman; 11-19-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    the Finals.

According to the document that ElFuego posted,

the ranking order of the ISU World Standings will decide upon the priority order of such a third event
    But that's only after every pair that could be assigned two already has been.

Given the number of split-ups and time-offs and retirements, the pairs are woefully depleted, and they are finding it hard enough to field two complete flights. I think Mathman is dead on with this.

Also, if you look at the two nations who've invited seeded skaters -- France (P/T) and NHK (S/S), they have no skin in the Pairs game, but it doesn't hurt to be on the good side of the invitees' nations for other disciplines. Not to mention that the fans are generally much more interested in seeing a world-class team than lower-ranked teams, especially in pairs.
    Last edited by hockeyfan228; 11-19-2007 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks for the information on selecting Top Teams for a 3rd Assignment in Pairs. I would add: box office.

Since it will definitely knock some fledgling Team off the podium, one could add this point as an additional reason to keep new teams from forming. Fledgling teams that get a bronze would encourage more teams.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    I cannot wait to see the video. Amazing. An american pairs team is the first to land both the throw 3 axel and the throw quad!!!!!! Not the chinese, not the russians! Funny. and we still can't medal at worlds.
    here is the LP
    http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=SJjy1RLq7aY

and a slow motion I uploaded on you tube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jpta3pnChA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast