Movies | Golden Skate

Movies

flying camel

Medalist
I need to rent some movies to watch for the Holidays. What was the last good movie you rented or bought? What would you recommended? I like comedies, drama, love stories, suspense or mystery.

Thanks

sillylionlove

Medalist
If you haven't already seen it Night at the Museum is a really great movie. If you are looking for a tear jerker type of movie...go with Simon Birch. It's a great movie.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
In the last few years:
Elizabethtown
Big Fish
National Treasure
Wild Hogs
Ratatouile (if you like Pixar films)
The Oceans Trilogy

From a few years back ;)
The Philidelphia Story
Arsenic & Old Lace
The Color Purple

And Holiday staples
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
The Muppet Christmas Carol (a must watch!)
It's A Wonderful Life
The Christmas Box (starring Richard Thomas)
The Santa Clause

ok I'm going on 5 hours of sleep I'll think of more...

Log into the Netflix site and just browse the categories to see what you might find that is to your liking.

I like just about ANY Christmas movie and like to watch them this time of year...I also like to read books that have a Christmas theme...I just read "Skipping Christmas" which that movie about the Kranks was based on. I haven't seen the movie.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The movie is decent... but not something that I want to see over and over and over... it just seems to be another Christmas movie, nothing really stood out...

I want to see Deck the Halls with Danny DeVito and Matthew Brodderick :)

Buzzz

Final Flight
That would depend on what type of movies you like, but here are some of my own favourites.

Transformers
Pursuit of Happiness
Damage (a little racy but I like the message in it)
Escape From Sobibor
X-Men=1,2,3
Roots (not a movie but great mini- series)
Terminator ( gotta love Arnold)
Conan The Barbarian

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
OOooo I forgot "The Holiday" with Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Jack Black, and Cameron Diaz. GREAT movie

fenway

On the Ice
Here are just SOME of the movies I gave 5 stars on my Netflix ratings.

Being John Malkovich
Casablanca
Chicago
Citizen Kane
Election
Ghost World
Goodfellas
Grease
LA Confidential
The Little Mermaid
My Man Godfrey
Ordinary People
Singin' in the Rain
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

Just a few that stood out for me!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
For me, holiday movies are all about the classics... at least classics in my little brain...

A Christmas Story
Meet Me in St. Louis
Star Wars (all six back to back...)
Lord of the Rings trilogy
The Matrix trilogy
Night at the Museum (best family movie in a long time)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Gone with the Wind (chick tradition in my family... we cook all day, watch football all afternoon and then send our husbands far far away by pulling out Scarlett...)
Anything John Hughes (yes, I'm showing my age again...)
Charlies Angles (so much fun...)
Tombstone

And when the kids finally eat themselves to sleep or you need to be reminded that you're a grown up...

:bow::bow:American Beauty :bow: also know as THE. GREATEST. MOVIE. OF. ALL. TIME!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:p forget the first two prequils watch Star Wars 3-6... don't suffer through 1 & 2 :laugh: (and they're HOLIDAY classics? lol)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:p forget the first two prequils watch Star Wars 3-6... don't suffer through 1 & 2 :laugh: (and they're HOLIDAY classics? lol)

Absolutely they are Holiday Classics!!! I received the whole set for Christmas!:p

Plus, I simply LOVE LOVE LOVE the entire Star Wars series.. but seriously, who has time to watch six movies at one time unless you're off from work?!?

:laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I received the whole set for Christmas!

:laugh:

I forgot to add Finding Neverland earlier... ooo and the Pirates movies! (Pirates 3 is out Dec... 4th) and Down with Love, 13 Going on 30... Home Alone 1&2 (the other sequels aren't worth mentioning) The Terminal is a good one too

Grgranny's Baby

Rinkside
I have been watching quite a few movies lately. My favorite is "Secondhand Lions". I have also really liked "Benny and Joon" and "Greencard".

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:eek: you mean I'm not the only one who doesn't *get* Cage? :laugh: I only like him in National Treasure

Of Mice and Men is a good tear jerker :)

for mega action and hotness check out Mr. & Mrs. Smith (yes that infamous film that destroyed the hollywood golden couple and birthed Bragelina) or The Island

ooo and the Prestige blew my mind... great movie!

Last edited:

dutchherder

Final Flight
Miss Potter
Big Fish
Little Women (the Susan Sarandon/Winona Ryder version)
Mrs. Henderson Presents
The Pursuit of Happyness
Reign Over Me
Brassed Off!
Elf
School of Rock
The Breakup
Driving Miss Daisy
Fargo
With Honors
Lost in Translation
School of Rock
World's Fastest Indian
Pleasantville
Groundhog Day
A Fish Called Wanda
Grumpy Old Men and Grumpier Old Men
the newest Pride and Prejudice

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Triston and Isolde was good too :)

and I prefer the Little Women which starred Liz Taylor and Margaret O'Brian (that's the actresses name that played Beth... right? same girl as in Meet Me In St Lous?)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Triston and Isolde was good too :)

and I prefer the Little Women which starred Liz Taylor and Margaret O'Brian (that's the actresses name that played Beth... right? same girl as in Meet Me In St Lous?)

Triston and Isolde WAS awesome... so much better than most "let's see how many lives we can ruin by never openning our mouths to say we're in love" movies... ala titanic (ok, shoot me or whatever - but who behaves in that way? if my husband took up with some chicka on a cruise ship... he'd have more to worry about than just a flying table - but that's just me...)

And I love love love the new Pride and Prejudice... so sweet and Lost in Translation just might be the most adult, realistic movie I've ever seen...

New movies I watched over the holiday weekend...

American Gangster starring Denzel Washington... so awesome... he'll take home another Oscar in February (question: why can he get oscars only for playing the bad guy and not for Malcolm X... things to think about...)

Bee Movie - if you enjoyed Seinfield, you'll like this movie - I didn't.

Beuwolf - So sweet... not as sweet at 300 - but worth the 10 bucks...

Anyone see something cool?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ooo yes Knightly's Pride and Prejudice was good (though I liked Colin Firth's version too.)

I want to see Disney's Enchanted, but I don't wanna go by myself.

American Gangster starring Denzel Washington... so awesome... he'll take home another Oscar in February (question: why can he get oscars only for playing the bad guy and not for Malcolm X... things to think about...)

Maybe because it shows how great an actor he is because he's supposedly a great guy in person so he's not going outside of himself ot create a character...