Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Did Cohen Have the Desire to Win?

Down With It

Did Cohen Have the Desire to Win?

The Kimmie thread is getting way off topic so I thought I'd create a side thread for all the Cohen talk.

On that topic, I personally think she wanted to win, but she just did not have the competitor's mindset. That prevented her from really buckling down for four minutes and getting it down. But such a skater is not all that easy to find or manufacture.

JMHO

Custom Title
    I think Sasha wanted it too bad. I think she was hurt by the fact that she came after so many great champions that could skate clean. She would be skating great and all of a sudden she just would fall or stumble. I also think she was very compeitive. She landed the majority of her jumps. It was just those little mistakes that kept her from the top of the podium. She had so many great qualities though and I really miss her skating.

Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    I think Sasha wanted it too bad. I think she was hurt by the fact that she came after so many great champions that could skate clean. She would be skating great and all of a sudden she just would fall or stumble. I also think she was very competitive. She landed the majority of her jumps. It was just those little mistakes that kept her from the top of the podium. She had so many great qualities though and I really miss her skating.
    I agree. IMO The 6.0 system hurt Sasha somewhat because she did not skate clean. If she came along after the 6.0 system I think she would have fared a lot better in terms of titles because her great qualities would have been rewarded under COP. It is rare that we see a perfect program even from the top ladies. Mistakes are becoming the norm.

Sasha was competitive and the desire to win was there, but I think her jump problems messed with her head. I miss her skating too.
    Last edited by demarinis5; 11-22-2007 at 07:56 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    I agree. IMO The 6.0 system hurt Sasha somewhat because she did not skate clean. If she came along after the 6.0 system I think she would have fared a lot better in terms of titles because her great qualities would have been rewarded under COP. It is rare that we see a perfect program even from the top ladies. Mistakes are becoming the norm.

Sasha was competitive and the desire to win was there, but I think her jump problems messed with her head. I miss her skating too.
    Huh? For half of her career, Sasha skated under the CoP system. After she won silver at 2000 Nationals, she skated under 6.0 in the 2000-2001 GP, the 2001-2002 season (she missed 2001 Nationals with a back injury), and the 2002-2003 season. CoP was introduced in the GP during the 2003-2004 season, and Sasha romped, winning the GPF over Irina Slutskaya. 2004 Worlds was the last one under 6.0, but Sasha did manage to win silver. She won silver under CoP at 2005 Worlds, silver at the 2006 Olympics, and bronze at 2006 Worlds.

Sasha was just as vulnerable under CoP as she was under 6.0 because of her inconsistent jumps. She'd be even more vulnerable today, because of the crackdown on flutzing.

Sasha wanted to win so badly that she concentrated on winning rather than on skating. So often, as soon as she made a mistake in the FS, the rest of her performance suffered because she felt victory slipping away and her 'perfect' skate was not to be. The only exception to this pattern was the Olympics, where she started off with two big mistakes at the start of her FS, then buckled down and skated full out for the rest of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Sasha was just as vulnerable under CoP as she was under 6.0 because of her inconsistent jumps. She'd be even more vulnerable today, because of the crackdown on flutzing.
    Just about all of the ladies today are getting zinged for their flutzing even the great Asada, and talk about inconsistency most of the ladies competitions have become a splatfest. I don't think Sasha would be any worse off or vulnerable under COP than the current crop of top ladies imo she would fit right in.

eta: My last sentence is meant as a compliment to Sasha.
    Last edited by demarinis5; 11-22-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Yeah, Sasha spent most of her career under COP or at least half of it.

I don't think that Sasha would be that competitive though against the new guard. Mao/Yu-na are much better jumpers then her, and they are closing in on the artistic side too.

I know Sasha is saying that she wants to compete again, but I remember reading on a review about Fashion on Ice that it took Sasha four tries to complete the triple salchow.....So nope, don't think we will be seeing Sasha next year.

Custom Title
    Sasha definitely wants to win- though perhaps at that worlds after the Olympics she didn't have the emotional energy.

Sasha always struck me as a very nervous competitor with a lot going through her head. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if she could mentally hear the groans of Dick and Peggy after she makes a mistake in her program.

Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post

I know Sasha is saying that she wants to compete again, but I remember reading on a review about Fashion on Ice that it took Sasha four tries to complete the triple salchow.....So nope, don't think we will be seeing Sasha next year.
    We attended Fashion on Ice last Saturday night. Sasha did not do any retakes. You may be confusing her with one of the other skaters who did do retakes (Caryn, Joannie, Silvia?).

Whether or not Sasha goes back to competitive skating, I hope we'll continue to see her skating, period!
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 11-22-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    We attended Fashion on Ice last Saturday night. Sasha did not do any retakes. You may be confusing her with one of the other skaters who did do retakes (Caryn, Joannie, Silvia?).

Whether or not Sasha goes back to competitive skating, I hope we'll continue to see her skating, period!
    Oh, someone said she did. I'm really sorry, I guess I was wrong and the other person confused her.

I don't think that Sasha would be that competitive though against the new guard. Mao/Yu-na are much better jumpers then her, and they are closing in on the artistic side too.
    I.
    Well I am not sure about that. If I had to pick who was the better all around skater (and as we know from the recent past in COP, jumps are important but you do not need a 7 tiple program to win, didn't Asada win gold recently with 4 jumps or maybe it was 5) it would have to be Sasha. But that is JMO

Off Topic - Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!

Well I am not sure about that. If I had to pick who was the better all around skater (and as we know from the recent past in COP, jumps are important but you do not need a 7 tiple program to win, didn't Asada win gold recently with 4 jumps or maybe it was 5) it would have to be Sasha. But that is JMO

Off Topic - Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!
    That's very true... But what about speed and ice coverage. Sasha has never been really great at that, and I like the girl... Especially in comparision to let's say Yu-na Kim who gets great speed and ice coverage.

That's very true... But what about speed and ice coverage. Sasha has never been really great at that, and I like the girl... Especially in comparision to let's say Yu-na Kim who gets great speed and ice coverage.
    Maybe. But we are both off topic here. The question posted by RD is
    "Did Cohen have the desire to win? I say Yes.

Custom Title
    Maybe. But we are both off topic here. The question posted by RD is
    "Did Cohen have the desire to win? I say Yes.

Yes, I believe she had the desire to win. However, she did not have the mental strength to win.

I think most skaters at this level WANT to win (or why spend all the money and time and risk of lifetime injury such as hips etc.)..........but they either:

1. are physically not able to gt to the top level (strength in men such as Buttle, height gets too much, girls outgrow pairs etc....basic genes)
    2. do not have the mental toughness during competitions to allow to focus such as Chouinard, Cohen, Sandhu, etc.
    3. don't have the work ethic to train to get there eg Bobek
    OTHER? Any thoughts? coaching?

Banned
    Probably the desire to win but maybe not the jump technique, solid and strong edges, speed and ice coverage, and nerves under pressure, to win.

The underlying assumption of these threads is that Cohen was so much better than everyone else that we have to look for a reason why she didn't win everything in sight. We don't ask, for instance, whether Amber Corwin had a desire to win.

Nationally, Cohen had the bad luck to come into the game before Michelle was done. Internationally, her two Worlds silver medals were second to all-time best performances of Arakawa and Slutskaya.

That's sports. IMHO it doesn't require psychoanalysis.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast