Pairs SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pairs SP

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
S&S' short is excellent, if they skate clean, they'll beat Zhangs in SP. S&S's LP this season is kind of boring though, and I doubt they can skate a clean long to beat Zhangs.

opposite of my feelings. I think that thier LP is amazing. She is not the type to let a win get away either. I still have a firm belief that they will be the champs!

netnuts

Match Penalty
opposite of my feelings. I think that thier LP is amazing. She is not the type to let a win get away either. I still have a firm belief that they will be the champs!

I don't like S&S's LP at all, it just does not suit their style. They usually have this very original, exotic choreography. Their LP does nothing to me.

Love their SP, I think it's the best SP this season.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I think people are forgetting 'speed' is a very critical aspect in assessing 'skating skill's. Zhangs' stroking is choppy, but their speed is excellent, which is why their PCS is usually in 7s even some of their presentations are not desirable. Same to Carolina Kostner.

Their speed is excellent!?!? Well that doesnt come across on TV anyway. To me they look slow and plodding between their tricks.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Their speed is excellent!?!? Well that doesnt come across on TV anyway. To me they look slow and plodding between their tricks.

That's why it's kind of laughable for us, amateurish pundits to comment PCS in front of some lousy internet webcast. Yes, Zhangs always have excellent speed.
However, that's not the case last season, which was why their PCS was in a nosedive.

mizu_iro

Final Flight
The Zhangs' should not be compared to Carolina - Carolina has wonderful, smooth stroking and edges. The Zhangs do seem to have good speed, but they lack Carolina's solid basics.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
That's why it's kind of laughable for us, amateurish pundits to comment PCS in front of some lousy internet webcast. Yes, Zhangs always have excellent speed.
However, that's not the case last season, which was why their PCS was in a nosedive.

Well having seen live skating as well, I will concede you often get a surprising perspective on speed up in person, not just the general amount of speed and ice coverage, but how various skaters compared in those areas to each other vs what you sometimes think on television. So I also see your point on that. I have never seen the Zhangs live, maybe if I did I would be more impressed with their speed and less hard on their PCS.

oxade21

Match Penalty
I thought more interesting fight was for the third place. M/T and K/S were so catty to each other in the interviews, this rivalry should bring some great results!!!
And Smirnov's bulge and breasts druing the interview easily beats Trankov's assets!!!! He should get deductions for such distracting costumes:)

mizu_iro

Final Flight
I thought more interesting fight was for the third place. M/T and K/S were so catty to each other in the interviews, this rivalry should bring some great results!!!
And Smirnov's bulge and breasts druing the interview easily beats Trankov's assets!!!! He should get deductions for such distracting costumes:)

Oh goodness, Smirnov has more cleavage than most of the female competitors!

netnuts

Match Penalty

I am also very excited about this fight. Do you sense there's some animosity between these two groups?

I think M/T are a far better pair in terms of skating quality, they are classic Russian pair, which is lacking at world stage these days. However, they are just very boring.

K/S are the typical big-trick pair under that legendary coach. They are inferior in terms of basic skating quality and speed etc.

I'm rooting for K/S to beat M/T simply because I think they are sort of more exciting and exotic. But I think M/T will prevail based on higher PCS.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Watching the two pairs now I like Mukhartova/Trankov much more then Kawaguchi/Smirnov at the moment. Kawaguchi/Smirnov look to me like a regression from last year, regardless what their scores may say, and that is surprising considering they are a new team last year. Their Love Story interpretation at Skate Canada was purely amateurish, even without the mistakes. Mukhartova/ Trankov have come a long way, I cant believe how much they improved since last year, I think they are gaining the judges respect and their scores will keep climbing.

Kawaguchi/Smirnov are actually the ones I am finding boring at the moment, I almost fell asleep watching their dreadful Love Story interpretation at Skate Canada. If the intent on the coaches behalf was to spurn Sale/Pelletier she did just the opposite, her team made Sale/Pelletier look like the greatest pair ever that night by skating to that same music.

oxade21

Match Penalty
I am also very excited about this fight. Do you sense there's some animosity between these two groups?

I think M/T are a far better pair in terms of skating quality, they are classic Russian pair, which is lacking at world stage these days. However, they are just very boring.

K/S are the typical big-trick pair under that legendary coach. They are inferior in terms of basic skating quality and speed etc.

I'm rooting for K/S to beat M/T simply because I think they are sort of more exciting and exotic. But I think M/T will prevail based on higher PCS.

Well, you should have seen that WebTV coverage, those glares at each other, those angry looks, body language saying "You *****, get out of my way" Especially from M/T. Maria is looking really fierce and determined to tear Yuka apart.
TAT said that K/S is one of the most hardworking skaters she have ever witnessed, and she envys Moskvina as those two have high work ethics. I think if they are working so hard there must be results especially with M/T breathing in their necks.
As per M/T, they have huge advantage in PCS department as they have been together longer and Mria has classic Russian ballet training that Yuko never had. BUT I do not like the dynamics in the team and with the coach, that KnC scene today was something else, Maria literally willing to leave and refusing to even touch Maxim, Vassiliev looking really angry and seating in the distance:(
I don't know but I know for sure next season these two are going to kick some Chinese and German ass:)

oxade21

Match Penalty
Watching the two pairs now I like Mukhartova/Trankov much more then Kawaguchi/Smirnov at the moment. Kawaguchi/Smirnov look to me like a regression from last year, regardless what their scores may say, and that is surprising considering they are a new team last year. Their Love Story interpretation at Skate Canada was purely amateurish, even without the mistakes. Mukhartova/ Trankov have come a long way, I cant believe how much they improved since last year, I think they are gaining the judges respect and their scores will keep climbing.

Kawaguchi/Smirnov are actually the ones I am finding boring at the moment, I almost fell asleep watching their dreadful Love Story interpretation at Skate Canada. If the intent on the coaches behalf was to spurn Sale/Pelletier she did just the opposite, her team made Sale/Pelletier look like the greatest pair ever that night by skating to that same music.

Well, I thought K/S looked much much better today then at SC, but still M/T looks more like a pair.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Well, you should have seen that WebTV coverage, those glares at each other, those angry looks, body language saying "You *****, get out of my way" Especially from M/T. Maria is looking really fierce and determined to tear Yuka apart.
TAT said that K/S is one of the most hardworking skaters she have ever witnessed, and she envys Moskvina as those two have high work ethics. I think if they are working so hard there must be results especially with M/T breathing in their necks.
:)

Did they put those two pairs together in the interview? I think Maria is quite rude. Her stone face reminds me of TT. Trankov is a nice guy though.

oxade21

Match Penalty
Did they put those two pairs together in the interview? I think Maria is quite rude. Her stone face reminds me of TT. Trankov is a nice guy though.

K/S were first then M/T came up and you could sense that tension through the computer screen, just burning:)):rock:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe the Russian federation is encouraging the rivalry between Mukhortova / Trankov and Kawaguchi / Smirnov because it is good for both teams and will keep them in great competition shape. But I think the RFSF is quietly backing M/T rather than K/S, because there is some doubt that when push comes to shove, Yuko Kawaguchi actually will relinquish her Japanese citizenship to skate in the Olympics for Russia. Yuko is still saying she hopes Japan will make an exception for her and allow her to have dual citizenship with Russia. I doubt that would ever happen, and the Russians are probably even more dubious.

I can't see Piseev gambling on a foreign national's loyalty to Russia.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I believe the Russian federation is encouraging the rivalry between Mukhortova / Trankov and Kawaguchi / Smirnov because it is good for both teams and will keep them in great competition shape. But I think the RFSF is quietly backing M/T rather than K/S, because there is some doubt that when push comes to shove, Yuko Kawaguchi actually will relinquish her Japanese citizenship to skate in the Olympics for Russia. Yuko is still saying she hopes Japan will make an exception for her and allow her to have dual citizenship with Russia. I doubt that would ever happen, and the Russians are probably even more dubious.

I can't see Piseev gambling on a foreign national's loyalty to Russia.

All in all that sounds like a good plan. Promote the rivalry for both teams, it benefits both, the Chinese certainly benefit from intermural competition of late. However secretely have more eggs in the basket that is more certain to go to the Olympics, that also makes alot of sense.

oxade21

Match Penalty
Actually according to Russian boards and TAT's today comments, it is K/S who are favored at this moment. Of course that could change.

escaflowne9282

Rinkside

K&S look nothing like any of Moskvina's other pairs from what I can see. Most of Moskvina's pairs (V&V,B&S,B&P,Dmitriev and Co.) were all about basic skating skills, long lines, extentions, toepoint , incredible speed, posture , flow, and deep and secure edging. Many things they did (for example their lifts)were actually considered simpler than their Canadian rivals( V&V-U&M, B&S-S&P, M&D&B&P-B&E,etc.) They're really a departure for her as far as style and skating type. It was actually the Moscow school and coaches like Zueva that emphasized the technical elements and big tricks(Rodnina and Co, G&G before they went pro).

I want to like K&S (especially since I cant stand M&T) , but I find them so mismatched. She was such a cute, charming performer with Markuntsov, who was also somewhat offbeat. Smirnov, in contast, is tall and elegant and it just doesn't work IMHO. Having them try to look elegant makes her look bad, and having them try to be quirky looks too out of place on him. Eh , I hope they'll improve

hongligl

Final Flight

According to very respectable insiders, Zhangs have very good speed and that was perhaps why T/M tended to complain that the Zhangs were aggressive. Zhangs were so fast that people who were not used to that got scared when Zhangs passed by, and took it personally.

As for the two Russian pairs, I like the lines of M/T better and I believe they could be a force pretty soon. M is kind of cold and expressionless, but her body language makes up quite a bit of that. I wish they could improve fast and make the pair competition more interesting.

I loved S/S, but their LP this year just doesn't do anything to me. No emotion and the style doesn't suit them.

Haven't seen S/S' s SP yet. I like Z/Z's SP a lot. Very good choreography that suits them well, and she looked sharp and improved. The LP was less impresive artistically in TEB, Dan Zhang was litterally expressionless during the later part of the program, guess it was because the high degree of technical difficulties of the program and it was hard not to focus on the moves and there was no much to spare for emotion. Hopefully it would get better when they are more familiar with the program.

Can't wait to see how it would unfold in the LP.

Last edited: