There used to be grand prix non scoring event. | Golden Skate

There used to be grand prix non scoring event.

kandidy

Final Flight
:biggrin:These are one of the rare days I have posted two new thread within 3 hours.

Just popped out of my thought. In the past few years, skaters sometimes join morethan 2 grandprix events(as a non scoring event, like Arakawa, Cohen in 2004?). Sorry, maybe everyone knew this, but I really have no idea.

What about now? It seems most of the top skaters just join two events.

I will just go to bed now and I will check your all kind answer tomorrow.

Good night.

IIRC the ISU has done a lot of experimenting with the Grand Prix format over the years (it used to be called the Championship Series). They have made lots of changes in eligibility rules, who makes the finals, etc. One year the skaters had to skate two long programs and a short. One year the first and second had a head-to-head skate-off for the championship, and the 3rd and 4th skated separately for third place.

The whole idea was to find out what format the public was most willing to support.

Yes, in some years skaters could participate in a third event. This was "non-scoring," but they could knock out others by medaling ahead of them.

I think the idea was that the event would be more successful financially if it had skaters like Michelle Kwan and Alexei Yagudin in the mix. They also increased the prize money to make the big name skaters want to come. (However, they have had to lower the prizes a little in recent years becuase of shrinking television revenues. :cry: ).

This year, they are allowing this only in pairs. Pang and Tong had three assignments and also Savchenko and Szolkowy. I guess this was because there are not enough top pairs teams to go around this season.

True. Those deemed elitist skaters could add on a 3rd GP in yesteryear. But for the very reason I was against P&T doing a 3rd was the rationale that it often prevented an up and coming skater from getting a bronze medal, and in some cases prevented non-elitist skaters to get to the Finals.

It seems now, the excuse for a 3rd GP is based on filling up the list of contenders. Why it can not be someone who is not already an elitist is unknown to me. Could be money. Dunno.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yes, it used to be all the skaters had 3 events, one non-scoring. the past two years, i think all the skaters had only two, and now they are bringing back the third event for selcted pairs only. I think that it is better with three.

Antilles

Medalist
I believe it has almost always been an option for pairs, since there is often a lack of competitors.

The non-scoring event, IIRC correctly, was not open to everyone. I believe it was open to the top six ranked skaters/teams from the previous year.

yes, it used to be all the skaters had 3 events, one non-scoring. the past two years, i think all the skaters had only two, and now they are bringing back the third event for selcted pairs only. I think that it is better with three.
In the past, I believe that ALL skaters got 2 but SOME skaters got an extra one to make it 3. Why some skaters got 3 and not ALL should be answered by someone who knows why. I don't. It's history now anyway.

Nowadays, the rule is no more than 2 for skaters who meet some sort of World Standings criteria, I believe. There are several skaters who opt for only 1, or their Fed will allow only 1. (There have been skaters who would not accept the invitation, and did not participate in GPs.)

The Drawbacks of allowing 3 GPs

It is not open to ALL skaters

The Third GP, if it were skated the best, it doesn't count towards GPF.

Since those opting for a 3rd GP, are considered Top Tier skaters they prevent a lesser skater from a medal and also prevent the higher points they would have attained. There could be strategy here.

The Organizers refuse to accept skaters who they deem are not up to standards.

On the Plus Side of allowing 3 GPs

There is some sort of need to fill the list of entrants for each GP

The popularity of the skaters who do a third GP could bring in more money for the event.

It also allows for an additional dress rehearsal practice for tweeking their new programs.

Weighing the above, do you agree that 3rd GPs are fair to all skaters?

Joe

kandidy

Final Flight
Weighing the above, do you agree that 3rd GPs are fair to all skaters?

Joe

Since they are decreasing the proze money, i doubt that skaters will be happy to attend non scoring event, also it will be very tired and risk of more injury.

Since they are decreasing the proze money, i doubt that skaters will be happy to attend non scoring event, also it will be very tired and risk of more injury.
That's very practical and I agree with you, but could you explain why P&T jumped at the chance to do a 3rd GP?

Joe