Emily Hughes shooting for Vancouver | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes shooting for Vancouver

R.D.

Record Breaker
Emily was on the Today show this morning and performed some rendition of Rolling on the River. During the pre-skate interview she was asked if she was looking to go back to the Olympics and she said yes, she hopes so. So looks like that is her goal.

I know there was some confusion with her going to college and everything...I didn't know what she wanted in terms of her skating career, but whether she actually makes it or not, that's what she wants to do.

Let the flaming begin :chorus:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i missed it, Sarah was supposed to be on too... any news on her?

feraina

Record Breaker
I highly doubt Emily's chances of making the Olympic team in 2010. This year, she might luck out with the third spot on the Worlds team just because Caroline, Mirai, and Rachael are all too young -- I think she'll be very lucky to even get on the podium. By 2009 National's, she'll be toast. Kimmie, Ashley, Caroline, Mirai, and Rachael all have or close to having a 3/3, many also do the spins and spirals better than her, garner similar or better PCS than her -- and they're all improving at a rate faster than her. Has she improved at all since first bursting onto the scene as Michelle's replacement? I feel like her jumps are constantly getting downgraded, and her skating is looking heavier and clunkier ...

I feel like if she quit college and completely focused on skating between now and Vancouver, she might still stand a chance, but even so.

She was just very lucky to peak during a very weak US Ladie's field in the transition era between Kwan/Cohen and now the rising new guard.

R.D.

Record Breaker
i missed it, Sarah was supposed to be on too... any news on her?

I SEARCHED and SEARCHED and SEARCHED my recording and could not find her. During Emily's skate they did show the Hughes family for a couple of seconds and did not see Sarah so I venture she could not make it.

Well, I think from experience it's a big mistake to ever count out a Hughes ;) , so I think Em will hang in there, at least this year. However, currently she's not even in the mix at the top like Sarah was, so if she does go back, she'd be a longshot if any for a medal. She should be concerned about some of the up-and-comers though because beginning in '09 they will be old enough to challenge her for a spot on the '10 team.

Last edited:

feraina

Record Breaker
Well, I think from experience it's a big mistake to ever count out a Hughes ;) , so I think Em will hang in there, at least this year. However, currently she's not even in the mix at the top like Sarah was, so if she does go back, she'd be a longshot if any for a medal.

Well, Sarah had much better national & international results than Emily, plus, she had the 3/3's to reel off, so that if she could skate a completely clean program, she had a good chance against the world's best if they made mistakes -- which is what happened in SLC. But Emily doesn't have any secret weapons like that -- with her assets she cannot get on a Worlds podium (and come 2010, the National's podium) even if some of her competitors do make some mistakes.

Plus, she's not in the same physical shape (or the same fearless age) as Sarah was in. Sarah did great with her pre-puberty body, and then completely fell apart once the puberty monster settled in. Emily's skating didn't peak early enough for her to take advantage of that.

pista04

On the Ice
hm

Speaking of the puberty monster, many forget that Caroline/Mirai still need to face that issue, and I believe it'll come down to how they deal with it when determining if we'll see Emily Hughes at Vancouver. Ashley Wagner seems like she may have already experience it, but her making the team would still leave a spot for Emily to grasp.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
2010 is still 3 years away. Marai/caroline/kimmie could be injured, sick or otherwise not skate well. Like sombody said you can never count out a hughes.... or rather you can never count out a hughes becoming judges' pet!

feraina

Record Breaker
That's very true, anything can happen in three years. But just as bad things can happen to Emily's competitors, bad things can happen to her, and considering she's older than them all (Kimmie, Ashley, Rachael, Caroline, Mirai) -- in general being older puts you at a greater disadvantage, because you're more prone to injuries, slower to recover from injuries, harder to gain/perfect new skills, etc.

I think it depends a lot on what happens at this coming National's. If Emily gets on the podium, she will probably be optimistic and keep training. Mirai & Rachael might be slightly off after having skated junor LP's all season and anyway these 2 have not been consistent (with their jumps). Kimmie, Caroline, & Ashley have all been skating well (and better than Emily) in the GP's, but it's possible that one of them would screw up, and Emily skates great, so she gets bronze.

But if she places 5th or 6th at National's, gets sent to WC anyway due to the age rule, and she regresses farther in her WC standing (8th in '06, 9th in '07, and now with the ever-strong Asian brigade and the rapidly improving Finnish ladies, plus the always competitive Sarah Meier and Carolina Kostner, I think she has very little chance of moving up), I think she will really think twice about continuing her competitive skating career next season. If she really cares about her education as much as she says she does, then she should realize that her future is better served by more focus on her studies, as well as leaving the image of the noble scholar who regretfully left skating than someone who faded against ever growing competition.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I imagine that she would have great chances off ice to get a nice job. Being an Olympia never hurts. It doesn't have to be twice though. Once is already enough to make your resume look great. But it's her life choice and I wish her best of luck if she wants to go to 2010 Olympics.

flying camel

Medalist
Emily has the Olympic experience. She should just continue with school. She says she loves it. There is just too much competition coming up behind her. Her technique is just not there. I can't see her making the podium this year at nationals to tell you the truth. She may make the world team since others are too young to go, but I just can't see her making it after this. Her highlights were pretty.

essence_of_soy

On the Ice
Much as I like Emily, I don't see it.

I think Wagner, Zhang and Flatt will overtake her this year at Nationals.

However, becasue as others have mentioned, Zhang and Flatt are too you, so Emily will probably make the 2008 World Team.

Unless of course, Alissa Czisny can turn her game around.

Last edited:

fsf9012

Rinkside
She is a good skater and has true lutz and flip, but I highly doubt she'll be in Vancouver. The up and comers are getting stronger year by year. I bet the US Olympic team will be Meissner and two among Zhang, Nagasu, and Wagner. BTW, I was impressed by Wagner's performances at TEB. She is a little rough on her skating skills, but has a quite bright future because she is consistent, and athletic. Isn't she old enough to go to Worlds next year? If Alissa or Emily melt down, we might see Wagner on the world team in Sweden.

Sasha, Angela N., and Michelle are skaters whose time has come to join SOI, coach, choreograph, design costumes, etc. Not a nice thought for most of us, including me, but that's the way it is in Skateland.

Other newer old-timers, have to give withdrawal from eligibles some thought if they do not really show some first class competitiveness this season: Emily, Bebe, Allysa,

Caroline, Mirai, Ashley are part of the New Wave sweeping into the shores of USFS, and they are followed by many others seeking the same desires of the aforementioned.

JMO - Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree with most of the above. However, I feel posters (except for a couple) aren't taking into account that the up-and-comers are still in "little kid" stage and have yet to grow up. Also, the added pressure at Nationals has been all but neglected in discussion. In other words, it's not a done deal that all will be future contenders. Some may fade into obscurity...I can count several who were touted but never quite made it.

It's not over for Hughes, contrary to popular discussion but as the poster above said, she will have to work very hard...on skating.

I agree with most of the above. However, I feel posters (except for a couple) aren't taking into account that the up-and-comers are still in "little kid" stage and have yet to grow up. Also, the added pressure at Nationals has been all but neglected in discussion. In other words, it's not a done deal that all will be future contenders. Some may fade into obscurity...I can count several who were touted but never quite made it.

It's not over for Hughes, contrary to popular discussion but as the poster above said, she will have to work very hard...on skating.
Little kids do very well in front of judges and audience. No fear.

And all skaters have the different stages of fear before the competion. Controlling pressure is the key word to use. Which of the contestants can control pressure the best? I would say Ashley but that won't make her a winner.
Some nerves may often make a skater better under fire. I can think of some like that.

Fading into obscurity at a young age is to me, like 'never was'.

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
I haven't really seen Flatt.

However, Zhang and Nagasu are starting to hit puberty - they've both gotten taller. It looks like they have the typical Asian frame and odds are with them that they will be able to adjust. Both Kwan and Yamaguchi grew up but not out overly much.

I don't count Emily totally out. She just missed last year's title by a fall.

I do think that Emily will have a tough time if the jr ladies fulfill their promise.