Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help on Spins

*Passionate for Figure Skating* Ice Princess's Avatar

Help on Spins

I'm an adult skater and I'm working right now on my spins. Seems like it's taking me forever to perfect, because I also haven't been skating as much as I would like/need/should. It seems like I'm having kind of a hard time starting the spin out. I'm trying to work on it without a coach right now. I've already taken lessons & had a coach, but these days just working on stuff right now and I need to get better at my spins-

I used to figure skate for six years when I was younger and spins were my favorite elements. I feel that the time investment helped me a lot to improve my spins. When the coach was not around, it was also helpful to practice spins with peer kids and get advice from them. I also had FS journals in which I noted the advice from the coaches so that I could remember what they said.
    Last edited by Bennett; 11-26-2007 at 01:49 AM.

I know-I do love them! They're so much fun-If I do a good one, I get so excited! I know what you mean, advice from even kids help me!

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    What kinds of spins are you trying? Upright, camel, sit? and what do you mean you're having trouble starting the spin out? what kind of entrance are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by silver.blades View Post
    What kinds of spins are you trying? Upright, camel, sit? and what do you mean you're having trouble starting the spin out? what kind of entrance are you using?
    Right now, just the regular upright scratch spin (?)-I think my entrance is messed up!

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    try entering from back counter clockwise crosscuts (unless you're a lefty, in which case go the other way) hold the back inside edge on the right foot to wind up then step forward on the left outside to spin. This is the most common entrance. Practice without pulling your free leg and arms in first to get your balance then gradually start to bring them in. Bring them in at the same time or you'll pull yourself off bablance.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Hi Ice Princess. I used to be a figure skater and spins were my best element. When doing your crosscuts, make sure you step into your circle and press down on your foot you are spinning on. It really helps if you centre yourself - my coach always told me that. Keep your head up. Having correct balance is the key to executing a good spin. Making sure you are centred will prevent you from travelling. Bring your arms in slowly. I am sure you will master a good one foot spin in no time!

On the Ice
    Try to maintain pressure on the ball of the foot while spinning, lots of spin don't work because we rush the spiralling edge and can't centre spin. Try starting from a stand still and do a forward outside, let circle spiral inward, kinda like a snail, let the edge roll the spin into the centre of the circle you started, then do the 3 turn and centre spin.

Custom Title
    When you step forward into your spin, try to:
    -keep tension in your upper body (arms, stomach, etc)
    -keep low in the skating leg, don't pop right up
    -the free leg should stay back a bit-ride that entrance edge out
    -make sure you are not lifting your free hip or tilting your shoulders-pretend you have a string pulling you straight up through your head

Once you have done the 3-turn and have started centering, and the free leg is forward, you can raise up on your skating leg...don't rush this part. Keep tension in your body, don't get loose but then again, don't get uptight-it's a fine line and you will have to experiment.

The best thing to remember and to follow-don't rush any part of the spin!

If you practice from the push forward like skater 17 suggested, you can finesse it. When this part works, add the back crossovers/crosscuts.

If you find yourself getting too frustrated, quit for a while and do something else. Otherwise you will just get worse and worse.

[QUOTE]Right now, just the regular upright scratch spin (?)-I think my entrance is messed up!

Ice Princess, how are your spins without a entrance? Are they centered and fast?

[QUOTE=dlkksk8fan;283720]
    Right now, just the regular upright scratch spin (?)-I think my entrance is messed up!

Ice Princess, how are your spins without a entrance? Are they centered and fast?
    Thank you all you guys! I guess I need to practice also on keeping it centered-I sure wish I could skate with you guys and work together!

I sure wish I could skate with you guys and work together!
    That would be fun! How are your spins doing? I'm trying to get a good back spin. Need one for my bronze program.

I still need to work on them! On New Years Day, I went skating with my sister and her girls (16 yr old & 7 yr old twins) during the public session and I didn't really work on my spins. I'm loving it though, because we all have strong ankles, like my mom, and every time I take those girls out, they do better and better! I'm hoping someday, we can all help each other and have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by dlkksk8fan View Post
    That would be fun! How are your spins doing? I'm trying to get a good back spin. Need one for my bronze program.
    I think I tried back spins before-I did ok-definately need work!

Landing my axel..............again skatergirl45's Avatar
    Just PRACTICE tons. I would do 8 maybe 9 flying camels a session before mne became good. It was not fun/easy I did itn to help my skating.

About you upright spin, think about your arms and legs coming in at the same time. That will help a lot. Also, if you are like me and spin counter clockwise, make sure your body is turned so that your right shoulder is ahead of your left shoulder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast