Stars On Ice Review | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice Review

skamper23

Medalist
I wasn't sure where to put this, but I went Lake Placid, NY over the week-end for the opening night of the Stars on Ice tour. My rather long and typo filled review is posted as follows if anyone is interested.

Stars on Ice Live and in Color:

Act I

opens with the music "Turn Me Loose" skaters are introduced. Girls are in shiny silver dresses, guys are in black pants and dress shirts with silver ties. Ilia and the girls skate to "Addicted to Love" Then Sasha makes her entrance wearing a red dress skating with all the guys to "Simply Irresistible". After this # is over Todd, Mike & Ilia give Sasha a proper introduction to the crowd welcoming her to the show. Mike says something about how flexible she is...and boy he's not kidding...more on that later...

Then on the big TV screens is a spoof on the Brady Bunch with all the skaters in the blue Brady Bunch like boxes...

Dubreuil & Lauzon are next they skate to a remake of the Pointer Sisters song "Fire" by Ima...I saw this one at Skate for The Heart show last month....this is a slightly different version.More family friendly..the costumes are different from the other show. She's in a red and pink dress he's in black pants and shirt with some red trim and a red tie,which the used to do some tricks with. They are a great addition to the show.

Yuka Sato "1000 Miles Away" by Jewel in a white flowing dress with long sleeves. She's a very beautiful skater. She had great jumps and spins.

Todd Eldredge "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life" from Monty Python's Spamalot...this program is intro'd by a ringing phone that is answered by Todd answering machine and he's getting all bad news..like his flight to Japan is cancelled and he'll have to take the red eye which gets him there with only 15 minutes to spare....and a message from a crazy fan..ect..
So the whole program is a comedy about things going wrong and looking on the brighter side....Todd's music stops on him...water falls from above...a light almost falls on him and at the end his pants fall down. Todd really plays to the crowd on this one. Great job!

Group # "Enchantment" with Sasha and Mike, John, and Patrice....Guess what Sasha's NOT skating! She's carried on to the ice on what I thought was one of those small round trampolines by the 3 guys, but it's not a trampoline...it's like a platform...Sasha starts doing some moves showing off her flexibilty. Sasha is a contortionist who knew...this is right out of Cirque Du Soliel! Sasha is picked up by the guys and stretched around their bodies while they are skating. It's something new and whom ever thought this one up....Kudos!!!! You'll have to see it because it's very hard to describe.

Shen & Zhao "Feeling Good" by Michael Buble'...I was thrilled they are with SOI this year. She's in a red halter dress and he's in black with a red tie. Huge Triple twist...great throw triple jump..they were so great to see!

Micheal Weiss "Hero" by Enrique Iglesias...Mike is in black pants, gold body hugging shirt underneath a white unbuttoned shirt with gold sparkles. He skates with his heart. Great jumps and backflips.

Okay Drum roll please.........INA AND ZIMMERMAN......."SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND"....yeah that's right.....but it's not Pink Floyd it's by Steven Lukather....and it's not their 2002 olympic short program either...this program is full of new moves that I don't even know where to begin...it starts out with John laying on his back and holding Kyoko in a pose with one hand while spinning around with his feet...(it kinda reminded me of their exibition program from nationals.)Anyway the new moves don't stop there....John is skating forward...bent over and Kyoko is on his back laying horizontal and rolls completely over on his back...the end pose is John on his knees bending as far back as he can and Kyoko catches his head in her hands!
Your just going to have to see this one Live and In person!!! What I just described does not do it justice. Oh costumes...they are both in jeans....he has on a long sleeve black shirt and black gloves..she has a light blue halter top with sparkle accents and some kinda of fingerless gloves too. Awesome program...very innovative. They really up the level of skating every year. P.S. this program was intro'd by the SOI favorite skater contest winner Tara...who's favorite skater is John...I hope she post some details of her trip!!!!

Sasha "Anytime,Anywhere" Sarah Brightman...she's in her outfit from Kurt's Gotta Skate Show..black sparkle dress...with an open front... Nice program...beautiful spiral...great spin with the foot over her head. She did have a fall on a jump and came back out later for re-takes.

Ilia Kulik...."Inspiration" by Ilia Kulik....it's a program about looking into yourself for inspiration! Ilia is playing music on a keyboard to start...then on the TV screens he continues playing his music while he skates to it. Very cool idea. Ilia skates great...jumps are huge. Looked like he might of popped a double, but it was still great. He's such a strong skater. Always a pleasure to see.

Closing act I with a group # "HARD STEEL is BACK".....Hard Steel is supposed to be a Heavy Metal 80's rock band...that has come back ...Intro'd by Scott himself on the big TV's pretending to be a goofy reporter telling everyone about the bands come back! He says they have a reporter live on the scene to cover it...and it's Jen Robinson as reporter. She interviewing school girls from China and Japan who are crazy fans of the band....aka..Yuka, Kyoko, and Xue...in school girl outfits complete with books! The band comes out and the girls go crazy...The bands lead man is Axel Edge...aka John..In a huge wig..long purple shirt that opens to his waist and belted...other band members Todd, Patrice, Mike, Marie-France she's in a long red wig and red go-go boots...to tell you the truth I'm not sure Sasha's in this one or maybe I missed her. They all all in big wigs and hats and guitars... it was hard to tell who was who...music played was all heavy metal rock like Krokus' Ballroom Blitz, I Love Rock and Roll..ect Lot's going on in this one!!! When it's over Todd talks to crowd about the boys and girls club. It's intermission.

Act II Starts off with a quick group # about warming up. Jen come out with an exercise ball and does some stretches. You hear the skaters thoughts as they come out...Yuka is thinking about how her legs feel..Todd and Mike are thinking they are competing about who warms up better and Todd pretends to go for a backflip just as Mike does.They then steal Jen's exercise ball. I think it's Yuka saying "They are such children".Shen and Zhao come out in a lift pose and he carries her down the ice and everyone is thinking how disiplined they are. D/L come out are you hear "Dance Team coming thru"..Sasha comes out thinking..."Did I turn the Iron off" and other random thoughts. Cute number...when it's done ...it intro's into Jen's #...since she's warmed up in all!

Jen Robinson "Hit Me With a Hot Note" I haven't heard this song before...Jen's in black short bottoms and white halter top very sparkly and red bow tie..very showy ..she works it! She is a true show girl...not afraid to play with the crowd. I like her energy..she's having fun out there.

Dubreuil & Lauzon "She's Always a Woman" Billy Joel.....What a beautiful program this is! I love their lifts! Very romantic program. She's in a flowing blue dress and he's in blue velvet pants and blue shirt. The look fantastic and skate even better. It's so great to have This dance team this year!

Ilia "Deal With It" Corbin Blue...this is the same # he did at Kristy's show. A clean shaven Ilia in jeans and a grey tank shirt. Lot's of energy in this one. I love the dance moves, footwork along with the jumps and spins.

Group # with the couples D/L, I/Z, S/Z to Nessun Dorma...a classical piece of skating music. Intro'd by Sasha... Most of the time the couples were doing the exact moves together...very beautiful. At other times they would do slightly different moves or lifts. A wonderful program. Nice costumes too. Black and red with some yellow accents.

Michael Weiss "Save A Horse Ride a Cowboy" Big & Rich...Mike is in all Black...sleeveless shirt...cowboy hat. This is high energy...sell it to the crowd..and he does. He has become quite the showman! More backflips and great jumps and his move that he skates on his heels...very cool.

Shen & Zhao "Caruso" Il Divo White flowy dress with gold sparkles, his shirt matches her dress. They are such a beautiful couple to watch. Big double twist this time. He gave her a nice kiss at the end.

Todd comes out to "Set up the Spot lights" for Yuka...

Yuka Sato "Swing With Me" Jessica Simpson Yuka's in a red and orange sparkly dress with fringe. Very up beat. A fast and fun number for Yuka. (although I miss seeing her skating pairs with her husband Jason!)

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A SKATER is playing on the TV's. From getting up and brushing their teeth to rehersals.

Todd Eldredge "Nights in White Satin" U2 I think it's mostly in Spanish then changes to English....Todd is in Navy Blue vest with white satin shirt. A nice strong program for Todd. He looks great out there. Great jumps awesome spins...as always.

Mike and Yuka are on the ice talking about the fans and what they would do for them. Yuka says she loves chatting with the fans and signing autographs...she asks Mike what he'd do for his fans..he replies "anything...I'd give them the shirt off my back" Yuka says if you talk the talk you better walk the walk and asks who wants Mike's shirt (He's wearing a denim Smuckers SOI shirt I believe) meanwhile Kyoko and John are setting up for their next program and I see John in the dark jumping up and down...like me..me...give me the shirt...funny...but Mike gives it to a woman in the front row!

Ina & Zimmerman "Pretty Vegas" Inxs....I love Inxs....good choice!! and woo-hoo the black leather pants are back!!!! I was having flash backs of Harder to Breathe!! lol....Kyoko is in a hot pink dress with black netting over the top...lots of signature I/Z moves...the throw Kyoko over John's head and catch her between his legs move, candle lift, and ending with the ever popular Head banger move for the 3rd year in a row!! Let's all hope Kyoko makes it thru another season while we hold our breath!! I think they like to put a scare in us!!

Sasha "Imagine" by Avirl Lavigne...I think it's a remake of teh Beatles song...She's in a blue/purple dress. Great program...she does a move skating backward lifts one leg up..her arms are out to the sides and her skate touches her head...very cool. She did have a fall in this and did a re-take.

Closing the show was the whole cast skating to Bon Jovi's new song "Make a Memory"...Guys in black leather pants, black t-shirts. Girls in 2 piece outfits of different pastel colors...sparkly tank tops..short flowing sheer skirts very pretty. After it's over while the cast takes bows the song "Jump" is playing.

Todd had the mic and thanked everyone for coming and then thanked Scott and Jef. Scott was handed the mic to rousing applauds and he spoke to the crowd this year. (unlike last year) It was nice to hear from him. He also thanked everyone for coming and asked if we thought they should take this show on the road...to which we all cheered! He said nice things about the skaters and Lake Placid..how it's become the home of SOI.

Only a few re-takes for the special to air on Dec 30th on ABC! Sasha had to do one for each program and Shen and Zhao only one for their first program and that was it. Todd came back one more time to thank everyone..including Smuckers whom he apparently forgot to mention earlier!! All in all a fantastic show. Go see it if you can!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's skating so I'm gonna move this up to the skating chat :)

thanks for the review... SOI still rocks in my book :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you! The new show sounds terrific, and I can't wait to see it in March! :party:

snobben2345

Spectator
I remember when there would be several reviews of the SOI premiere posted on various boards virtually the next day. Yours is the only one that I've seen mentioned so far.Times have changed.

Thanks for joining us, Snobben. Welcome to the (free and open :laugh: ) Golden Skate Forum!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Still wrestling with whether to attend the Baltimore Show in April...

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you so much for your detailed review. Sounds like a wonderful show this year. Good news about the t.v. broadcast on 12/30 for us fans that will not get to see it live.

Wow, thanks for posting the review. Looks like a winner.
Ilia "Deal With It" Corbin Blue...this is the same # he did at Kristy's show. A clean shaven Ilia in jeans and a grey tank shirt.
:clap: :clap: :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually falls happen pretty regularly... it's what you do afterwards that make it or break it :D

R.D.

Record Breaker
I figured this might be my only chance, at least in the near future, to see an ice show live, so I went ahead and took the plunge. If I can make it, I'm there. :yes:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hopefully...I previously have had to live vicariously through other folks' reports, but this time I think it's my turn...I nearly went to last year's show, but at the last minute changed my mind. This time, I already purchased the ticket so all I need would be a cab ride, which shouldn't be a huge issue here in the city :yes:

don't expect me to write up a long report on it, btw :biggrin: I'm sure someone else will do the Baltimore report anyway :biggrin:

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Thanks for the great review! The show sounds fantastic and I can't wait to see it when it comes back to Ohio, thankfully during a month where we don't get a lot of snow, LOL ;)

Red Dog-I think you'll have a great time at the show and if you can at least post some impressions of the show when you get home, I would love to read what you thought about everything! BTW-Baltimore is a great city and if I lived closer, I'd be at that show too! :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Kwanfan, I believe the show goes to Cleveland/Columbus the last week of March.

I definitely hope it's worth it, and it should be. I'll see what I can do as far as impressions go. Any word on cameras? (I know no flash/no video because it says so on the ticket). I'm going to be pretty close to the action so it's a good opportunity to possibly get some shots, if they'll come out lol...

ETA: Thanks for the review BTW Skamper. Sounds like a good one, it'll be cool to watch the ABC broadcast and then later on, catch it live.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RD, by all means go for it! It's a great show (OK, we're a little biased about this as we've been attending it every year since 1993), but seriously, it's amazing! :party:

fairly4

Medalist
I am not going -why because of your reviews. you have your favorite skaters and build it up and say its great, when i go it is a bore, and a dude.
i even won tickets to an SOI Show and got in for the practice and seeing how they skated and interacted
I was bored stiff, the only Cool part was watching that. they show itself was a dude . i would have wasted my money

I went to earlier ones on 1996/1997 and 1998/1999. they were great.
we finally broke down and went a year ago--boring ,dud.

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
I am not going -why because of your reviews. you have your favorite skaters and build it up and say its great, when i go it is a bore, and a dude.

As you say, we all have our favorite skaters and while mine are not with the tour this year, I plan on going anyway. Even when my least favorite skaters are with the tour, it is always entertaining, never a "dude." It's skating!! :clap:

If you go to the show planning to have a bad time, you will. If you go planning to enjoy the show and have a good time, you will. I say, why not enjoy yourself!! :agree: