Stars On Ice Review | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice Review

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
My mom went all fan girl when she found out that Evan skates to Billie Jean, which is her all time favorite Michael Jackson song (She loves the Thriller Album lol)....

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hello all.

Just got back from the Baltimore show. Wow, wow and wow. It was a lot of fun, worth every penny...

The seats were awesome. I was literally in the front row, near the left side of the rink. I did get handshakes from three (it could have been 4, actually) skaters- I believe Kyoko Ina was one of them. Kimmie just missed us before the ending bow, but the person beside me was waving to her. Same with Evan- he was talking to some girl a few seats from me so he didn't quite get to us either.

I won't go into a long detailed review, number one, due to time constraints, and number two, you can read plenty of them here, and the skaters all did the same programs, basically. We did get Kimmie Meissner (as I mentioned earlier), Tanith Belbin/Ben Agosto and Even Lysacek.

Got excellent pictures, too. The person beside me was even commenting on the amount of pics I was taking...

Side Notes:

- There's nothing like seeing live skating. On TV usually I'm bored by this stuff, but being there it's a totally different ballgame. The energy of the audience, the action happening right in front of you, the music...I've found out now how much stuff gets lost in translation on TV, and it's a lot...

- I wasn't impressed with Cohen's "balerina" number when I saw it on ABC back in December, but in the context of the show I found it definitely had its place. And, gasp, I actually enjoyed it.

- There was no real "highlight" for me- the whole show was very enjoyable as a whole- but I will definitely remember Kimmie. She definitely surprised me, she's not bad at all as a show skater, actually.

- The skits were an interesting addition, although kinda corny for me, the kids simply ate that stuff up like candy...and it's interesting how they were able to put some of those montages together...

- the girls in the lower bowl just behind us were CRAZY...screaming I LOVE YOU SASHA repeatedly when she came out...same with Kimmie (of course, she got a big applause given that Baltimore is her hometown)...

- Mike Weiss gave his shirt to a girl in the middle front row, about 10 or 15 seats down from where we were.

- There was only one fall I can remember, and that was from Todd Eldridge (sp?) . There may have been a stumble or two in the opening, but can't quite remember

- Yuka Sato did a beautiful jump right smack in front of me...perfect camera moment missed...the person beside me even pointed it out...

- Most of the action actually occurred on the opposite side of where we were (there were more people there due to the structure of the arena)

- And, as I found out at the end of the show, there were actually backstage passes that a few folks got. Had I known I might have asked the ticket counter folks when I got there, but oh well- not the end of the world. Still was worth every penny IMHO.

In fact, I might even consider going again next year...and this time I'll try to get one of those backstage thingys...

Last edited by a moderator:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
RD thanks for your report. I can't wait to see your photos. Sounds like you had a fun and enjoyable night of entertainment.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm going through the photos now. I took a LOT...I may pick the 20 or 30 best ones and put them up on an online album so you guys can see. I think you'll be as amazed as I was at how great some of the shots turned out. And this was from a Canon Powershot pocket camera, not anything fancy!

ETA: here's my photo album.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562987108ImexpR

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I so badly want to say we told you so ;)

glad you enjoyed the show!!!! I soooooooooooo wish they'd come up here, but considering Alaskans have no desire to see a skating show I doubt Scott will try it again anytime soon :no:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Considering the arena was only a $10 cab ride from where I am right now, it would have been almost foolish not to go. I mean, SOI doesn't go anywhere near my home town, so may as well do it while I'm here...

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, Red Dog for sharing your report about the Baltimore show. I'm very glad that you really enjoyed it (we told you would!). :party: Thanks for posting the pic link, too! :) :biggrin: :clap:

Red Dog, I'm SO glad you went and found that you truly did enjoy the show! There is so much more to see, hear and feel at the live shows than watching on tv!
One of my favorite things is that moment where there is just a breif bit of silence, then you see skate blades flashing under the curtain at the tunnel, the music starts and you start hearing the blades on the ice and then all the electrical feelings in the building start as the opening number begins.

So you were in on-ice seats it looks like! You got some wonderful photos! I said "OMG" out loud when I came to that close up of John Zimmerman as Axel Edge!!! What a FANTASTIC shot!!!

So, are you now hooked and going to attend every year?;) I don't know what I'd do without our annual night out to SOI!

discoduck

On the Ice
I'm very late with my review of Columbus but here are a few highlights.

1. No, Toni, I didn't get Mike's shirt. He went to the other side of the arena from me. :laugh: I'd like to thank the person that put his first number right after S/Z because I was still basking in their fabulosity and I didn't pay a lot of attention to Mikey. ;) I did watch Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy and I don't quite know what to say about that.....

2. The Duckling is now an official card carrying member of the "John Zimmerman is hot" fan club.

3. Both of S/Z's numbers were fantastic and naturally the highlights of the show for me. They seem to really be having a great time out there and Hongbo cracks me up in the rock and roll number.

4. I love Jennifer Robinson. She has such a good time and I don't get why so many people don't enjoy her. She's very entertaining.

5. D/L were great! I especially enjoyed their second number to "Always A Woman" by Billy Joel. It really suits them.

R.D.

Record Breaker
So you were in on-ice seats it looks like! You got some wonderful photos! I said "OMG" out loud when I came to that close up of John Zimmerman as Axel Edge!!! What a FANTASTIC shot!!!

Isn't it?! He actually posed for a second or so right in front of us, allowing me to snap that shot. That is hands down the best one that came out from the 200+ photos I ended up taking :eek:

We also got a "low-five" from him as he skated by earlier.

So, are you now hooked and going to attend every year?;) I don't know what I'd do without our annual night out to SOI!

Hmm...it actually depends on who is doing next year's tour, as well as my own schedule. I would definitely like to see if I can go again next year, though (there were SOI pamphlets saying that it was returning to the Baltimore area next year). Definitely want on-ice seats again as well. Plus I need to find out how I can get those backstage passes. Although that would have just been icing on what was a great night of entertainment- and I can still say I shook some hands.

We'll see though.

ETA: Disco- I also enjoyed Jen Robinson...I think she would be my second "surprise" choice behind Kimmie. Strangely enough, I didn't feel all that different watching Sasha live than on TV, although actually seeing her do those bendy moves made them more impressive. (I guess the fact that she did most of her moves away from us contributed to that as well.)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm very late with my review of Columbus but here are a few highlights.

1. No, Toni, I didn't get Mike's shirt. He went to the other side of the arena from me. :laugh: I'd like to thank the person that put his first number right after S/Z because I was still basking in their fabulosity and I didn't pay a lot of attention to Mikey. ;) I did watch Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy and I don't quite know what to say about that.....

*sigh* I am SO disappointed..... :laugh::laugh:it's a good thing I like you:laugh::laugh:

;)

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
RD: You can't get backstage passes unless you know someone either on the tour (a skater) or with the tour somehow (a member of the crew or IMG) so I wouldn't count on getting one of those passes for next year. They aren't something you can buy when you get your ticket. Just an FYI so you don't get your hopes up for that next year! I'm SO glad you had fun at the show though and I can't wait to see your pictures when I get home from work tonight. :clap:

Disco: Better late than never...some of us still don't have the pics from their 1st show up yet! I think you're doing better than me, LOL :laugh:

Thanks for the report, Red Dog. I totally agree about live skating versus TV. Some of the best shows I have been to are local club shows, benefits, etc., plus the cheesefests when they used to come to town.

R.D.

Record Breaker
RD: You can't get backstage passes unless you know someone either on the tour (a skater) or with the tour somehow (a member of the crew or IMG) so I wouldn't count on getting one of those passes for next year. They aren't something you can buy when you get your ticket. Just an FYI so you don't get your hopes up for that next year! I'm SO glad you had fun at the show though and I can't wait to see your pictures when I get home from work tonight. :clap:

aaaaahhh...the security guy I asked told me that the passes came with their tickets...so I assumed that you could get one if you were a member or something. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Makes me kind of feel better actually, lol.

Makes sense now that I think about it.

Probably better that I DIDN'T go backstage, actually...because it was raining that night and I didn't have anything to keep the SOI program dry. The next thing I know, the pages were stuck together and now it's partially ruined. :banging: I was mad enough, but imagine if it had been signed...