Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Stars On Ice Review

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    RD - don't worry about it... SOI will be good...

it's more than Champions on Ice which was just exhibition programs ala after an event... it's a complete entertainment package... more people are satisfied than not.
    it better be...because I went all out here...I splurged and got ICE LEVEL seats if you do it once, better do it in style

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    it better be...because I went all out here...I splurged and got ICE LEVEL seats if you do it once, better do it in style
    Ice level seats are great! You'll have a great time. And to answer a question you asked earlier in this thread, you can take a camera to the event but just make sure your flash is off and you don't have one of those huge lenses because they might not let you in if your lens is too big. Ice seats sometimes have issues with the lighting too so just know that you might have to adjust your settings from time to time with the lights and I think you'll get some great shots.

And I'm actually going to the show in Cincy (with mom), Cleveland and Pittsburgh (with friends), and Columbus (with discoduck) this year. I did this last year and I ended up seeing all the guest stars at one point or another which was really fun. I can't seem to leave any part of my state out lately, LOL

if you do have an SLR I think the lens cannot be larger than a 70mm... IIRC... which is different than the USFSA which is 200mm

Scott tattled on my dad in 99 and we had to put our camera away (ok so Scott hammed it up for our camera and that brought attention to it and security was poopy lol)

Have faith, RD. There are lots of excellent skaters in the show. It's neat to see them do their solo performances, but you also get to see them interact with each other a number of times during the show.

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    I think the group numbers are what makes stars on ice different then other shows.

Moving Forward
    Quote Originally Posted by fairly4 View Post
    SOI is going downhill since 1998. we went before , were the skaters perform for the audience and didn't expect the audience to perform for them.
    but than this lot is all arrogant and divash.
    Wow! You either saw a VERY off night, or went to a much different show than I did. Are you sure you are not confusing Stars on Ice with Champions on Ice, because that's the way I feel about many of those skaters.

I've been going to see live skating shows since the Ice Capades. For a while in the mid-90's, I stopped going due to financial concerns (and I will admit that SOI's "GOLD" tour was a low point in the tour's history), but I've been to multiple shows every year since 2002 and although that year seemed to have a slow start due to organizational issues, the skaters always gave everything they had to the audience each night I attended.

No one should expect the same cast for over 20 years. These skaters aren't Kristi and Scott and Paul, they are a new generation, but they are every bit as talented and entertaining and committed to giving the audience a great experience. Change happens, if you can't accept that, dig out your old tapes and watch those, but don't discredit the recent or current cast as second-rate....they aren't.

Red Dog, you will love the ice seats. I took my husband to a show last year and sat on the ice. He is a total non-fan of skating and HE walked out of the arena with a grin on his face like a two-year-old holding a bag of candy and gushed for days about the experience. Don't let anyone discourage you. Go and enjoy, I know I will!!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I am shocked at you Nan, I made a comment about you in another post (up aways from here) and you didn't comment....what's up??? You're usually on top of things.

I would never get on ice seats again. I would rather sit up a little especially if I am taking pics. I guess to each his own.

Dee

Moving Forward
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    I am shocked at you Nan, I made a comment about you in another post (up aways from here) and you didn't comment....what's up??? You're usually on top of things.
    Dee
    I'm trying to be a good girl, Dee. You don't make it easy!!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NansXOXOX View Post
    I'm trying to be a good girl, Dee. You don't make it easy!!
    Nan, it's not nice to lie!!! You could not be a good girl even if you tried!!!

Dee

Moving Forward
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Dee

I cannot wait until March 13th to see the show in Philadelphia.
    I don't know how anyone can say that SOI is boring or a "dude" (dud)!!! Even the one year, Gold I think it was called, when it wasn't great, it was still enjoyable. There is nothing more exciting than the lights going down, glimpsing the shine of the skates under the curtain where the skaters enter and then the sound of the blades on the ice. I've been attending since 1995 and have not been disappointed yet. There are years I like the music better or a certain program better, but I am NEVER EVER bored. As long as the show is coming to Philadelphia, I'll be there.
    It is sad to see that not even the lower bowl of the arena fills now-a-days compared to the place being sold- or nearly-sold-out.
    I consider myself very lucky to live close to a city that still gets Stars On Ice AND Champions on Ice and the occassional competition or special show (Country On Ice, Kristi Yamaguchi's Salute to American Music, Scott Hamilton & Friends).
    It is different now that the original core skaters are no longer with the show, but different does not equal "worse" or "less". It's skating, it's ice stars, it's fantastic!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by KwanFan1212 View Post
    Ice level seats are great! You'll have a great time. And to answer a question you asked earlier in this thread, you can take a camera to the event but just make sure your flash is off and you don't have one of those huge lenses because they might not let you in if your lens is too big. Ice seats sometimes have issues with the lighting too so just know that you might have to adjust your settings from time to time with the lights and I think you'll get some great shots.
    I was thinking of getting an SLR, but I'm not sure it will be before the show. I figure my Canon SD550 won't quite cut it (I already tried shooting an indoor basketball game with adequate lighting and STILL had a tough time getting good shots, let alone the dark ice arena)...may as well sit back and enjoy the show, and hope ABC will do its telecast in High Definition to keep an "archive"...(wishful thinking, I know...)

RD - I'm not familiar with your particular canon, but most point and shoots have a heck of a time when it can't use flash

but flash does not work in a sports setting unless you're right in the face of the athlete anyway as the flash's light drops off before it hits the action, which makes what you really want in the shot incredibly dark.

With ice shows you have the problem of the bright ice against teh dark of the arena... your point and shoot tries to compensate...

I'm not good with point and shoots as I like to do all the fiddling with exposure myself. Hence my use of SLRs (and DSLRs) I highly recommend getting one - if you're going to use the manual stuff (I rarely even use auto focus) just because they're about the same when it comes to the automatic stuff.

kwanfan1212 gets decent shots with her point and shoot but she has what is called 'burst mode' (right? that's what it's called?) and my canon powershot didn't have one (But I have one of the oldest models so it didn't have all the bells and whistles most point and shoots have now)

Down With It
    I know flash won't work. I've used cameras fairly extensively so I'm familiar with most settings, although far from an expert.

I've had the SD550 for almost a couple of years so I've basically thrown most situations at it and I know I'd be just wasting my time if I tried to get decent shots at the show with it. The aperture decreases dramatically as I zoom in; I found that out the hard way during that basketball game (those shots were turning out super dark).

The only reason to take it would be if I were going backstage and meeting the skaters, but that obviously is not happening, so I think I will just leave it at home (unless I get an SLR).

ETA: I do like some control over my shots (i.e. shutter priority) but I'm not crazy about tweaking every single thing- it gets complicated quickly and I'd rather just count on the camera choosing the optimum setting.
    Last edited by R.D.; 12-03-2007 at 10:40 PM.

in show skating that's a bit hard as most cameras seem to have a problem with the ice and how to set the camera...

in film situations I was always told to push the film to get the best quality...

ice is tricky even for the spectators

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast