Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Stars On Ice Review

Here are lots of great pics from opening night in Lake Placid!

http://www.scratchspin.com/2007/soi0708/soi0708.shtml

Enjoy!

*Passionate for Figure Skating* Ice Princess's Avatar
    I'm excited!!!! I'm going with some girls from work! I haven't been to Stars On Ice for quite a few years. The one I went to, was with Ekaterina Gordeeva in about 1996 & this one is going to have Ilia Kulik! My sister went to Champions On Ice in 2002 with a friend and gave me a tshirt and program.

Here's another review with pics from Lake Placid.

http://www.absoluteskating.com

Click on the link for the article about SOI over Thanksgiving Weekend.

I find that the best opportunity to take pictures with a point and shoot is when you get lucky enough to have the skater's opening or closing pose right in front of you. I've also gotten some nice group shots.

As for on ice, I actually prefer about row 5 at center ice. With on-ice you sometimes can't see the far corner on the side you're sitting on. However, you can't get much closer other than and actual meet and greet. Also, the SOI skaters do shake hands with audience members just before their final bows.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Also, the SOI skaters do shake hands with audience members just before their final bows.
    really? don't you have to be in the very front row for that, though?

What a great review.....Thanks. Now I have to see if they're coming to the Fresno area this year. 42

[CENTER]THIS photo is funny. I guess the top half of their skates are supposed to look like socks.[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by IDLERACER View Post
    THIS photo is funny. I guess the top half of their skates are supposed to look like socks.
    Actually, Kyoko at least can pull it off!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    really? don't you have to be in the very front row for that, though?

You have to be in on ice seats for the opportunity to shake hands with one of the stars and that's not a guarantee either. The one year I bought on ice, I was at the very end seat and I think Kurt stopped about 4 or 5 people before the end of the row.

I also recall sitting 3rd row and watching Jamie speaking with on ice members. It was pretty obvious that the ladies were congratulating her on her engagement to David at the time.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    You have to be in on ice seats for the opportunity to shake hands with one of the stars and that's not a guarantee either. The one year I bought on ice, I was at the very end seat and I think Kurt stopped about 4 or 5 people before the end of the row.

I also recall sitting 3rd row and watching Jamie speaking with on ice members. It was pretty obvious that the ladies were congratulating her on her engagement to David at the time.
    so does just one member come in and shake hands with random people? or the whole cast comes in? I'm confused...

RD,

The whole cast skates the finale, which is a group #. At the end of the number, they are typically standing around the edge of the rink and begin to shake hands with people in the on-ice seats closest to where each is standing. Then at a certain note, they jump back on the ice for the final bow and skate backstage. Lights come up and it's time to go home.

So, it's possible that one skater might shake your hand, but it's doubtful that 2 or more will.

Down With It
    hmm...I guess we'll find out. I will not count on it though.

Don't count on it, but have a great time, no matter what. We've had on ice seats, and usually we get to shake hands with at least one skater. If we're lucky, with two. If we're sitting a few rows back, I tend to run down to the boards towards the end of the finale to catch a handshake, and it has worked! Of course I only do that if I'm not going to have to make a bunch of people stand up in our row (sitting near the aisle has its advantages ).

3 times in on-ice seats, 5 skaters hands' shaken!
    And the one year we WERE way on the end of the long side of the ice. That was our first year with on-ice seats.

A short word about on-ice seats....FANTASTIC to experience it at least once, YES. Disadvantages: Yes, some....you can't see the whole ice super well (but that can be said of some of the regular stadium seats too) and you definitely can't see any special lighting effects on the ice. But, even though last and this year, we're not doing on-ice, we will again sometime as long as SOI keeps coming to Philly.

Back to that first year we had on-ice seats(2004). It couldn't have worked out better. We were on the far end where we easily could've been missed for the handshakes, but we WEREN'T missed. My husband has a huge crush on Jamie Sale. Who should come our way for the handshakes BUT Jamie Sale and Kristi Yamaguchi!!! My husband was like a giddy teenager! It was SO worth paying extra for those seats just to see his reaction to Jamie's handshake. I couldn't think of anything to say quickly to Jamie and Kristi so I just said "thank you so much"....Jamie looked me right in the eye and said "oh no, thank YOU".
    The other handshakes, though cool, weren't as special. The following year('05) we shook Elena and Anton's hands...they weren't personable about it. Neither was Alexei Yagudin the following year. But still, we've shaken 5 Oly Gold skaters' hands!

*sigh* my only regret is I haven't shaken Kurt's hand....Now that I've shaken my favorite Philadelphia Phillies' players hand, shaking Kurt's would then make MY life complete!

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I thought Sasha is joining the Canadian Stars On Ice Tour. At least that is what I heard.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast