Stars On Ice Review | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice Review

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I went to the Stars on Ice show in Seattle last Friday night! It was great! It was too bad though, Yuka Sato & Jennifer Robinson, I think, fell. But, I didn't care-that happens. I loved it!!! It was great to me also, because all those skaters, I had never seen live!:clap:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I'm going to see Stars On Ice in San Diego this Saturday. I missed it last year, so looking forward to seeing it.

Kasey

Medalist
Tried writing a review at the hotel last night, but the free internet didn't like the length of time it took to write it, and booted me off (boo hiss). So anyway....I went to the Sacramento show last night. I wasn't going to do SOI this year, because for me, Cohen is more of an aversion than attraction. And since Yagudin is gone, and Bereshnaya and Sikharulidze haven't returned (sigh, sob), even the additions this year weren't enough initially to make me want to go. But since on-ice tix showed up on Ebay, and it was a night I don't work, I decided to go. Glad I did, it was great!! My only regret is that since Arco arena staff tend to be camera nazis, I didn't even bother taking my camera. Then there seemed to be no issue about it this year, so the only pics I got were with my cell phone....not good. Oh well.

Just some random thoughts on the skaters....

Shen/Zhao are really nice addition to the tour. They belie the idea of Chinese pairs having no artistry (ahem, Zhang/Zhang), and just show their wonderful technique and expression together. Their first number (Michael Buble) they didn't seem to have as much connection as their second slower, more lyrical number. Some beautiful lifts, one really nice throw jump, and a gorgeous split twist. They are working into nice show skaters.

Kulik, oh my. His first program to his own music was just absolutely beautiful. His jumps are still amazing, and I would swear he did a 3A at the other end of the ice (if not, it was a damn good impersonation of it!!) Beautiful flow, and my random thought was that he has more flow and command on ice than Plushenko ever will (having seen them both live in exhibition mode), and that if he could get back his quad and CoP-***** his spins, he could still be top three in Russia right now. Both programs (the second was the dancey one, performed in a wife-beater tank top that received it's share of squeals) had a lot of great choreography, intensity, and just beautiful performance quality. Come back Ilia!!

Yuka Sato's first program was just stunning. She skated right in front of us with no music to get into position, and absolutely no sound from her blades on the ice. She still has a gorgeous 2A and 3 loop, and I think doubled a 3S at one point. Beautiful layback spin as well. The second program was quick, flirty and fun, with not an empty moment in the program, just full of choreography and great footwork.

Weiss has blossomed completely into a show skater, and seemed to be a real crowd favorite in Sac. The first program to "Hero" was very nicely done, subtle and flowing, and his second performance to "Save a horse, Ride a cowboy" was fun and full of energy. In both programs, the big tricks (jumps, backflips, etc) are really well choreographed into the programs. He seems to really enjoy the performing.

Dubreuil/Lauzon are just gorgeous. Beautiful flow, their usual stunning lifts. Their first program was more fun and flirty, to "Fire"...the second more romantic and flowing. Both were well-received, although I think of everyone, I think they got the least amount of applause, which was sad to me. I guess it's harder for some people to buy ice dance without the big tricks, but they really performed well in my mind.

Ina/Zimmerman did two similar programs, in that both were rock numbers with the same standard elements (fly high and say bye, candle lift, headbanger all present and accounted for). They were clean, and had a nice split 2T in one of the programs. I just don't get into them as much as some of the other acts, because to me they are more trick skaters (and I don't find John attractive either....different strokes and all)

Todd Eldredge still has wonderful centering and positions in his spins, even if the spins themselves aren't quite as fast as they used to be. He has great 2A still, although I think the rest of the jumps were doubles as well (except for I think 1 3T). Lot of really nice footwork in both programs. The Monty Python program was fun, it's always nice to see him letting loose with a fun program. The Nights in White Satin program was very expressive and well-done. The audience loved him, and I think he got about as much applause as Cohen.

Jen Robinson only had the one solo program, which was kind of typical of her, flirty and flaunty. She still has nice height and zip on her 3Z (2 footed), and really decent spins. She also is very articulate, and has a nice speaking voice, as she does a lot of the voiceover stuff during the show. Plus her personality is a nice bonus, she just seems like a real sweetheart who's enjoying herself out there.

Cohen surprised me a little. First, the "Cirque du Sasha" program was absolutely enchanting. It was a really great idea on someone's part, and watching her with all the guys makes one wonder what if she had decided on pairs or dance instead of single skating. She really matched up well with all of them, and has incredible flexibility (like we didn't know that). The first program was in the "look ma, I have boobs now" dress, and was kind of what I was expecting from Sasha, a lot of "ta dah" moments thrown in together. The second program to Imagine was really a surprise to me though. It was quite expressive, there was a lot of subtle choreography throughout, and the standout moves were choreographed better into the overall program. I didn't go there expecting to be impressed by Cohen, but overall, I enjoyed her.

The group number with the two pairs and the dance team to Nessun Dorma was very nice, although like all the group numbers, you feel you must be missing something while watching what you can. Very nicely done. The group numbers were fun. Overall, it of course isn't meant to be a show of high technique and difficulty, but it was a beautiful night of skating, and well worth going to.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for the review. Interesting take, especially on Cohen. I definitely was not blown away based on what I saw from her during the "infomercial" (in fact, kind of the opposite), but I wonder what my own in person impressions will be.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, Kasey! Sounds like it was a very enjoyable show (no surprise there). :biggrin: Keep the reviews coming as the tour comes your way, everyone! :party:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the report. I have heard good reports from just about everyone who attended SOI.

RD will you write us a report after you attend?

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yeah, it was so great-when I saw Yuka Sato skating, I thought, "you really can't hear her skate!" She just skates so great! And I thought it was so great to see Sasha Cohen using her gymnastics in a number!!!!!:clap: Jennifer Robinson, did seem like a real sweetheart!

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
You folks make me envious, SOI doesn't come south anymore, not even to Atlanta, and I can't make a trip from western North Carolina. :frown:

I am very happy to be reading good reviews about SOI.
Although as I always say, I am SO biased when it comes to SOI. I just love everything about it.
As Sillylionlove said, just a wee over a month til the Philly show!!! A few of on-line pals have a nice little tradition of an informal meet and greet before the show starts, so it's really a great night out.

sillylionlove

Medalist
for those who don't normally check the stars on ice website, it was announced yesterday that McLaughlin and Brubaker will be the guest stars in Denver!!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I do wish that sasha would have skated to John Lennon's Imagine, but I agree that it is better than Anytime Anywhere. I love the song anytime, anywhere, but the program was better 8 years ago. Thanks for the nice reviews on everybody else. I loved Shen and Zhao on the gymnastics anc skating show... they looked so happy and still in GREAT shape.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
That's great news! :party: Do they train in Colorado Springs?

Yes, they train in Colorado Springs. This is a really nice honor for them and I'm glad they get to perform one more time before they head into the offseason. :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, Tina and Heather! :party: Looking forward to your SOI and Nationals pictures respectively! :bow: