Stars On Ice Review

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
whoa... wait a sec

did I just read that right

you LIKED Mike?????????????????????????????????//

Hell hath frozen over :laugh:

oh and I am not sure if you are aware, but the goal is to get me Mike's shirt at the Columbus show ;)

skamper23

Medalist
Thanks for the great review Heather! Sorry to hear about Yuka and Todd not skating their 2nd programs! Hopefully you'll get to see them tomorrow night! Yuka usually does the shirt give away with Mike (while in her costume from her 2nd program) did someone else take her place last night? Also glad the hear that Kyoko and John are back to doing BOTH their programs...even if it means leaving out the FHSB! John is the author of the tour journal for SOI fan club this year and he wrote that the programs don't feel the same to Kyoko and him when they leave out the BIG move, so I'm glad they aren't rushing to put it back in!!! I agree Xue and Hongbo are great additions to the cast, as well as D/L....sooo glad to have a dance team this year!!!

Thanks for the GREAT review, Heather! Your review pretty much summed up how the Philly show was except for we had Kyoko & John's fall.

Xue & Hongbo really do seem to be having a blast on the tour. They looked kinda like star-struck teenagers throughout the Philly show.

It seems a lot of people, including me, are finding a new appreciation for Mike Weiss. I never liked him much during his eligible years but I LOVE him now that he's touring with SOI. He wasn't even as good during exhibitions with COI when he was with them, as he is now in SOI!

I think they are going to have a hard time coming up with a number to beat Hard Steele is Back for next years tour! Marie-France made a great lady rocker in that number. And I really like Marie-France and Patrice as an addition to the show.

Sasha has always been a favorite of mine and she seems to do much better in the shows. We've seen her in two shows this year, Fashion on Ice and SOI. She was one of the few skaters that did not have to do a re-take for Fashion On Ice and she had no mistakes that I could see at SOI. I was surprised that my husband thought her "contortion" program was the best of the night. I thought he'd lean towards Hard Steele.

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Yuka usually does the shirt give away with Mike (while in her costume from her 2nd program) did someone else take her place last night?

Jen did the shirt giveaway with Mike last night. I think Yuka took most of the second half of the show off. She did skate in the finale but you could tell she wasn't her usual perky self. Hopefully she's feeling better for tomorrow night! :)

This is the actually second time we've had something weird happen at the show. We missed last year's show due to a stupid snowstorm and the year before we missed out on Kyoko & John's second number due to a malfunction with John's pants right before they were scheduled to skate (we heard that he split his pants somehow, LOL). We're hoping for next year that we have no issues and everyone is healthy! ;)

I'm glad you guys liked my review! My review from the Columbus show will not be as long or detailed but it will probably be more amusing because discoduck and I are going together and we're usually amused by strange things. Discoduck also breaks Dave on a regular basis during performances when she's there (aka, he falls on his butt for no apparent reason, LOL) so we're hoping he stays standing for this show tomorrow! ;)

And yes, hell has frozen over for me to enjoy Mike's programs! If discoduck likes him too, you might want to take cover, LOL ;) (And I can't get you the shirt because I'm not in an on ice seat tomorrow night.)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Heather - anything is possible... maybe Mike has discoduck radar and she'll end up with it ;) I am unashamedly praying for it, in fact! :laugh:

and if SHE likes Mike's programs I will probably be admitted to a hospital because my heart will stop!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you, Heather, for your thorough review! Sorry to hear that Yuka was not feeling so good, and that she and Todd did not skate their second solo programs. :cry: Hopefully they will in Columbus tonight. Glad to know that Kyoko & John are doing both programs, even it it means without the HFSG move.

Mike is skating very well in the tour, and is getting a great reception. I'm really pleased with him being in SOI. We want that shirt too! :rofl: Maybe we'll get lucky next weekend in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

Have a blast tonight, :party: and take lots of pics!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've always said that once Mike didn't have to do JUST Lisa's choreography he'd be a better skater :laugh:

Originally posted by Toni:
I've always said that once Mike didn't have to do JUST Lisa's choreography he'd be a better skater

:rofl::rofl: I'm sure Lisa is a nice woman, but I never liked hearing about her choreographing Mike's programs. Whatever it is that has him being such a great showman, I hope it continues!

skamper23

Medalist
I was wondering if anyone went to last nights Cleveland show? It's the first one with Kimmie, Evan and Tanith & Ben as guests!

skamper23, I heard that Evan skated in last nights show, but haven't heard much else reported about it. (that would be the 3/27 show I think)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, Heather was at this show, and plans to go to the Pittsburgh show tonight. In addition to finding out about how/what Evan, Kimmie, Tanith & Ben skated to (in Tanith & Ben's case, I'm hoping it was something other than "Sexyback" :rofl:), I hope Todd will be able to skate to both of his solo programs. He twisted his ankle in practice in Cincinnati last week. May the whole cast stay healthy! No more injuries and flu!

A little late, but hey.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82361667@N00/2368706487/

^ Pictures from the San Jose show!

Review (maybe) later. Must get back to work! :)

Thanks for all the great pictures, amazonprincess! Bring on the review whenever you can. :party:

Last edited by a moderator:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Must say I'm starting to feel it now. Less than three days.

Seems like the guest stars will be there as well? B/A? Meissner? Lysacek?

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the review, Gail. Curious about Evan, any sign of his injury?.

skamper23

Medalist
I saw Evan at the Albany SOI on Sunday...he's the first one to skate after the opening number. I didn't see any sign of injury. He skated his Micheal Jackson # and was totally into it!

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Evan had only one jump (and it seemed a bit 2-footed). The costume was garrish, but it made sence when "Billy Jean" started playing :) He was ok, but I would't say that he was completly ingury-free because I have seen him skate much more technical EX programs on COI - at about the same time in the season. His spins were superb though.

Kimmie and B&A did a fine job, but they really seemed out of place - at least to me. You could really see they were last minute additions and are not regular part of the show. I have been to many SOI shows with "special guests" but maybe b/c the guests were seasoned or prior SOI performers, their numbers really felt like they were a part of the show and they could really get the audience engaged. Kimmie and B&A were at a different level. At COI shows though, they seemed perfectly fine in comparison to others.

I liked the 2nd part of the show the best, especially the music! I was very glad to see I&Z have 2 numbers. Sasha's "china doll' routine was really cool (that was first part of the show).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Toni, thanks for merging those two posts. :biggrin:

*bows* no problem ;)

Good to hear Evan looks pretty good... also glad he's not throwing everything out there in the exhibition technically... hopefully he'll be fully recovered for next season!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I just realized that I never came back here to post anything from the Columbus show and now I've gone and seen two more shows which puts me even further behind! Whoops, LOL ;)

Anyway, the show was pretty much the same from show to show (the Cleveland show was the messiest with regards to falls and mistakes on jumps) but I enjoyed it all the same every single time. This is one of the most enjoyable SOI's that they've done in recent years. I always enjoy the show from year to year but I have so much fun this year watching the cast and I feel like there's something for everyone. The rock number does not get old at all and I think the cast is getting more and more into it too. Everyone seemed in very good spirits and I thought the new cast members did a great job with their programs. Tanith & Ben skated to "Falling Slowly" and the program was just gorgeous! I thought it was much more mature exhibition than we've seen from them in a while and I hope they keep it next year. Kimmie's program was very tentative in Cleveland but by the time she skated to it in the next show it was much better. She skated to "Testify to Love" by Wynonna and I thought it was perfect for her age and she also performed it very well in Pittsburgh. Her jumps look just fine to me although she cranked around an underrotated lutz in one of the programs but hey, she landed on her feet! Evan's program didn't do much for me and I don't think the people in Pittsburgh reacted very strongly to it but the Cleveland folks had a good time. He seemed to skate fine IMO. The way they break down when the guest skaters go in the show seems to be Evan right after the opening number (US champion), then Kimmie skates later in the first half (past world champion), and Tanith & Ben are in the second half of the show (current Olympic silver medalists). That makes sense to me anyway. Anyway, I have tons of pictures from all the shows but considering I saw four shows within about nine days, it may take me a while to get any pics online! I'll do the best I can though, LOL :laugh:

I hope anyone who hasn't seen the show yet will consider going if its coming near them because the show is a lot of fun this year and I think you would all have a great time! :clap:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, Heather! I :love: reading your reports! Thanks for sharing them here. :biggrin: :rofl: :party: