Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GP event order changed for 2009 season

Down With It

News GP event order changed for 2009 season

Just got this from the Skatefans listing...this goes into effect in the 2009-10 Olympic season (it will stay the same next year)...the new event order will be the following (SA will now be the 5th event!):

TEB
    COR
    COC
    NHK
    SA
    SC

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Just got this from the Skatefans listing...this goes into effect in the 2009-10 Olympic season (it will stay the same next year)...the new event order will be the following (SA will now be the 5th event!)
    The GP series also starts a week earlier than usual:

TEB - Oct 15-18
    COR - Oct 22-25
    COC - Oct 29-Nov 1
    NHK - Nov 5-8
    SA - Nov 12-15
    SC - Nov 19-22

GPF - Dec 3-6

Presumably the JGP series will also start earlier. However, the JGPF is usually the week before the GPF, which means the JGPF would fall on Thanksgiving weekend, the worst possible travel time for US skaters.

isn't the GP always a week earlier in the Oly season?

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    It is ABOUT TIME. I have been saying for years that it seems unfair that the American and Canadian audiences get stuck with the first 2 competitions out of the chute (when the programs are still in a very rough state for the most part) year after year; I say let someone else get stuck with the "first pancakes" (as Tamara Moskvina called them, according to Scott Hamilton) for once. I think the order should be different EVERY season.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop View Post
    I say let someone else get stuck with the "first pancakes" (as Tamara Moskvina called them, according to Scott Hamilton) for once.
    It's a part of a very famous Russian proverb - the first pancake almost comes out lumpy.

I agree that it's time the order is rotated as well.

I see the schedule is a slight improvement, i.e., having 3 contests in October and 3 in November and ending two weeks earlier. If this is only because of the Olys, well then, I think they should keep it on an annual basis.

I would like to see the GPs start in September. I know, I know, the poor dears wont be ready, but when you think of it, how much time there is between end-of-worlds and end-of-summer. There are no more cheesefests in the US and the Japanese Invitational is just two disciplines and only two countries. I think this time could be utilized for GPs and we can have all the skaters in the mix.

Back to the new Schedule:

I think Canada and the US will benefit financially by this because as the GPs progress, the last two become so important.

Joe

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico
    Well this will be a nice change.

Now the question will be as to where SA will be held that year!!

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    Well this will be a nice change.

Now the question will be as to where SA will be held that year!!
    Madison Square Garden, hopefully.

By having the last two events, both Us and Canadian federations will be able to influence the gp results in a more active way. Also, they will be able to push their skaters right before the olympics.
    Good for them, smart choice for once.
    I actually think (hope) the score inflation in either US or Canada will never reach the level of Cor with Russian skaters....

I wonder if NBC television had something to do with this. Maybe they wanted to wrap their Skate America / U.S. Nationals / Olympics coverage up in a neater package.

you might be onto something there, MM!

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I wonder if NBC television had something to do with this. Maybe they wanted to wrap their Skate America / U.S. Nationals / Olympics coverage up in a neater package.
    hmm...I thought the same thing for a moment, but they don't have any relationship with the ISU, do they? I thought it was them and USFS. The only reason I would put more stock into that speculation is if NBC ends up signing up to broadcast those competitions. Nevertheless, it ends up benefiting them since by SA the programs will be more fully developed and it will be considered a more serious competition rather than just "working out the kinks".

Also, what about the CBC? don't they televise SC? I don't think one TV network has all that much power, especially since they didn't even pay anything to get it.

Well, NBC payed a pretty penny to get the Olympics. This may give them the wherewithal to exert influence on the ISU.

Or they could really, really, really push USFS to really, really call in favors with Cinquanta and/or other federations.

TV considerations aside, I don't see much benefit to Skate America whether it's early or late. To me, there was nothing wrong with that event kicking off the season. Except for the possible Olympic tie-in, I don't think they will sell any more tickets by advertising that the skaters' have had more time to perfcet their programs and, being later, will seem (?) like they are more important in determining who goes to the GP final.

Only people like us will care about that, and we are planning to go anyway, if we can.

Down With It
    I think you said it right there in your post, MM...it really doesn't make enough of a difference to justify the theory that NBC had anything to do with the switch. If anything, the only thing the network would have any say over is the start times of the competition. They could push for the ladies' free skate to take place Saturday night, for example in order to do prime time coverage.

Rogue Leader
    Even though attendance is down all around, they seem to have pushed the events with the most fan support to the second half of the schedule (NHK, SA, SC). It's nice to see it changed up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast