Asad
Kim
Meissner
Nakano

Precarious Ladies

Zhang - 24
Rochette -22

Last Chance Ladies

Ando (more than likely in the first category above)
Kostner - 11 at the moment.

IMO, the European judges will go for Kostner, and Zhang will be tossed out

Joe

Wrlmy

Medalist
Ladies Looking Good

Asad
Kim
Meissner
Nakano

Precarious Ladies

Zhang - 24
Rochette -22

Last Chance Ladies

Ando (more than likely in the first category above)
Kostner - 11 at the moment.

IMO, the European judges will go for Kostner, and Zhang will be tossed out

Joe

Kostner has 5-7 points advantage in pcs over Zhang. That said, her TES must be substantially higher than she got at CoC, which she is surely capable of yet unpredictable. Do you think Europeans judges will award her HUGE pcs even if her TES is same as or lower than Zhangs to send her to GPF?

Kostner needs a Silver to tie Zhang. If she gets a bronze, she ties Rochette.

If she ties Rochette, who gets the 6th place?

Joe

oops - I forgot, Meier needs a Silver to join the tie. - Likely?

Last edited:
If Kostner gets silver both she and Zhang will have equal high placements. If we go to the scores to break the ties, won't we have to wait for Kostner's scores? Not sure of breaking ties. Mathman is very good at this.:agree:

Joe

Turtleberry

Rinkside
If Kostner gets silver both she and Zhang will have equal high placements. If we go to the scores to break the ties, won't we have to wait for Kostner's scores? Not sure of breaking ties. Mathman is very good at this.:agree:

Joe

Right. Assuming Ando wins gold, a silver for Kostner will place her and Zhang in a tie. The first tie-breaker would be highest placement at a single event. It would be silver for both so the second tie-breaker would be total score from both Grand Prix events. For this, Kostner needs a 165.84 or higher to surpass Zhang.

C_T_T_

On the Ice

No, I think Sarah needs gold. She was 4th at TEB so that would give her 24 points too, but she would beat Caroline with 1st and 4th coold gets her inmpared to Caroline's 2nd and 3rd. I'd love to see Sarah in the final but I don't think it'll happen.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Kostner needs a Silver to tie Zhang. If she gets a bronze, she ties Rochette.

If she ties Rochette, who gets the 6th place?

Joe

Sarah Meier needs to win if she is to tie Caroline Zhang with 24 points

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carolina needs to win silver at NHK and score over 165 points to knock Zhang out of the GPF. Carolina scored only 143+ at CoC to Zhang's 153+ at SA and 156+ at CoC. Problem is Carolina is not good when skating under pressure, and she needs to nail both SP and FS to get the necessary points.

As for the European judges backing Carolina, they can do that in the PCS, but not in the TES. If Carolina doesn't land her jumps, she could finish second with high PCS but not earn enough points to get the GPF spot. And don't forget that there are several Euro skaters in this competition besides Carolina. Euro judges' preferences will be split among Kostner, Meier, Lepisto and Gedevanishvili. That won't help Carolina, especially if Meier and Lepisto skate well (neither is under pressure to make the GPF as Carolina is).

ChrisH

On the Ice
Ando landed quadruple salchows at an NHK practice session. So she is in good form. What little chance Kostner and Meier had of winning has gone kaput, IMO. :biggrin:

I think Kostner can just as easily finish 2nd or 5th. She might challenge Ando in the short program, but that's it.

1 Ando 180
2 Meier 160
3 Kostner 155

ae9177

On the Ice
Wow, Miki is so ON! She should win this easily. Although I really like Kostner, she's too inconsistent, Zhang seems to have a better chance in the battle of Caros. :laugh: