Summer Reading | Golden Skate

Summer Reading

Lcp88

On the Ice
Since I finished my assigned school reading, I am now in need of some good books. Any one have any favorites/recomendations?
I enjoy any type of fiction, esp. romance and mystery :).
Laura

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm a big Star Wars fan... I know I'm weird LOL... so I am currently trying to read thru the New Jedi Order series(which is difficult as Kenai does NOT have a bookstore :()

Glacierskater

On the Ice
If you like humor, I just got finished with THE NANNY DIARIES...made me cry, made me laugh, made me mad. Read it in two days. I am almost finished with the 5th Harry Potter book: THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX. I also recently finished THE EDGE OF GLORY by Christine Brennan...it's an inside look at the world of elite FS. I started INSTANCE OF THE FINGERPOST, but it is a rather hard read, and very large. Anything by Jane Austen is a favorite with me also.

If you have a Barnes & Noble bookstore, it is a great place for reading inspiration...I have happended upon so many good reads, especially in the bargain section. I love to browse there.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Nora Roberts is my current favorite "get away" author. Her stories are a bit mystical, and her time periods vary from long ago to current times. I just finished her "Donovan Legacy" trilogy. I also like children books, those by Laura Ingalls Wilder and J.K.Rowling. I usually reread my Jane Austen collection every other year............yep, this is the year.....42

Seonaid920

On the Ice
I am reading "east of eden" by john steinbeck and its very good. lots of twists and turns. it's the 'oprah' selection so there will be a book club show at the beginning of the fall television season.

Lcp88

On the Ice
Thanks, this gives me some ideas.

On a side note, I LOOOOVE Nora Roberts! I highly recommend her Irish Trilogy (Jewels of the Sun, Tears of the Moon, Heart of the Sea) to everyone!
Laura

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Yeah, another Nora Roberts fan. I read the trilogy. I am currently trying to find her books from the early years. I have been combing used book stores and have found a couple.....42

heyang

Record Breaker
My favorite Nora Roberts Trilogy is the 3 sisters/witches trilogy.

For romances, Judith McNaught usually has a good blend of humor and emotion. My favorites are 'Paradise' and 'Perfect'. LInda Howard is my favorite Romantic Suspense writer.

I also enjoy reading sociological books occasionally. The Birth Order Book by Leman and You Just Don't Understand by Tannen were interesting to read.

Every so often, I read historical accounts (In Harm's Way about the USS Indianapolis, Perfect Storm, etc) and biographies (John Adams, Kennedies, Anne Frank).

I finished HP5 in just under a week. Hope the last 2 are released on schedule.

Shallah

Spectator
The Curse of Chalion

by Lois McMaster Bujold. It is a wonderful fantasy novel with a nontypical hero. I just reread it and am dying for them to publish the sequel! You can read the first 8 chapters on the publisher's website to help you decide if you want to finish :) Just go here:
http://www.harpercollins.com/hc/features/eos/curse.asp

For mysteries I like the Rita Mae Brown books she co-authors with her kitty Sneaky Pie. It's the Mrs. Murphy Mysteries series. I also like the Lilian Jackson Braun 'Cat Who' books although the earliest books in that series are the best.

A good fantasy/romance is Shadow of Albion and it's sequal Leopard in Exile by Andre Norton & Rosemary Edghill. It is an alternate history regency with some fantasy elements.

If you want a good laugh check out the Disc World books by Terry Pratchett. It won't matter much if you read them out of order although if you can get ahold of 'em in order all the better! I am currently almost though reading Jingo. If I had to pick a favorite I would have to say Small Gods is the best so far.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
After hearing Margaret Atwood speak a few weeks ago, I am working through her books. "Surfacing" is great and am currently on "Lady Oracle, which is interesting as well.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Interesting, Kara. I am reading "Blind Assassin" now.

I really recommend to anyone Akunin's "Winter Queen". I have read it in Russian, but the translation is truly superb, I checked. Akunin is like a mix between John Grisham and Ivan Turgenev.

I just read Isabelle Allende's "My Invented Country". Loved it! Besides being very well written and poetic, it is also rather informative.

I also read the latest stories from Murakami -- "After the Quake". God! I just can't get enough of this writer!!! (Haruki Murakami, a very Westernized Japanese writer.)