Vancouver 2010 Mascots Unveiled - Oh Dear! | Golden Skate

Vancouver 2010 Mascots Unveiled - Oh Dear!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
VANOC announced its mascots for the 2010 Olympics. Just like the official logo - the Inooshuk - we now have three of the ugliest mascots they could possibly find for our official Olympic mascots. Of course they allowed children to choose. Not many adults care for them.

They are Miga the sea bear (whatever that is supposed to be) Quatchi the Sasquatch ( oh please!) and finally Sumi the Thunderbird (looks like a flying squirrel). None of the choices say anything about British Columbia or Canada for that matter. In fact they look more Japanese than anything. We are now hosting the Japanese Olympics. Heck I would have settled for a couple of Royal Canadian Mounties on horseback with five rings around them. At least I would know it's Canadian.

Oh well!

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=c9da639b-21ca-492f-a054-7647a629ff7a&k=71803

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think they're cuter than the ice cube headed mascots from Turino

laceup

On the Ice
They look really bad:disagree:. Why wouldn't we do a beaver or something more Canadian???

fenway

On the Ice
Can someone explain to me why we need mascots in the first place? It's the Olympics not a kiddie show. And yes I feel the same way about mascots in professional sports.

fenway

On the Ice
Because it's fun! :biggrin:

OMG! Nooooo! They're lame, distracting & highly unneccessary! I want to watch the game, not some guy dance around in a dumb costume.

Boy. You hit 30 & next thing you know you've automatically turned into some grouchy old lady! :laugh: I need to stop being so hard on poor mascots :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yeah but mascots at the olympics are different...

the olympics are a family affair in a lot of ways, I see no problem with it!!!

then again I LOVE Disney World and all the characters with big heads, hands, and feet running around so maybe I have a skewed idea ;)

Antilles

Medalist
Maybe they didn't want to do anything that would play to Canadian stereotypes. I'd rather something ugly that's original, over a beaver, caribou, back bacon etc.

I do agree they could have come up with something better, though. If you have to explain what a mascot is, it's not a good sign. They definitely look like they were influenced by Japanimation. Maybe it's a Pacific coast thing.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Oh my. I would understand those mascots being picked if the Oly's were in Japan...but they're not. Oh well lol

fenway

On the Ice
yeah but mascots at the olympics are different...

the olympics are a family affair in a lot of ways, I see no problem with it!!!

then again I LOVE Disney World and all the characters with big heads, hands, and feet running around so maybe I have a skewed idea ;)

That's true. I guess they bug me more at individual sporting events more than anything else.

I don't think you have a skewed idea of mascots...I just think I'm incredibly grouchy ;) :laugh:

Daniel_Craig

Rinkside
Maybe we will get a Blades of Glory like moment and two skaters have a catfight on the podium resulting in one of the said mascots catching on fire and jumping over a barrier. :chorus:

IndieBoi

On the Ice
Can someone explain to me why we need mascots in the first place? It's the Olympics not a kiddie show. And yes I feel the same way about mascots in professional sports.

To make money... it's easier to merchandise an event when you have a (salable) face to it. I'm guessing one of the reasons these mascots look Japanese is because there's a very large Asian population (and tourists with $$$) in British Columbia. Vancouver is practically Asia's gateway to Canada (if not North America).

Last edited: