Thread: Value for a 4 salchow in senior ladies competition?

Value for a 4 salchow in senior ladies competition?

Which would be the base value if a skater - like Miki Ando - would land a clean full rotated quadruple salchow (she keeps on landing it in practises) ?

Custom Title
    I think someone posted that the base value for 4Salcow is 9. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Custom Title
    Quad toe is 9.0. Quad salchow is 9.5.

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    Out of curiosity, why are the women trying quads trying 4S when all the men do 4T?

Enjoying Life !!!
    I think it depends more on whether you are an edge or toe jumper.

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    I alaso read once that men naturally have more powerful muscles, and toe jumps require a skater to push off that toe pick (ie, require more stregth), while edge jumps have to do with pulling, which some perceive as easier. I can't remember the details, though...

Kypma

Custom Title
    Well Brian can do both the quad sal and the quad toe. He's talked about playing with the flip or lutz, both edge jumps, but who knows if he can actually pull it off and then pull it off in competition.

Miki's triple sal is just amazing, her best triple jump by far, so I'm not surprised it's the one she had done four revolutions of!

I really do think it comes down to whether you're an edge or toe jumper.

I'll try defying gravity, you can't pull me down zephyrskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kypma View Post
    I alaso read once that men naturally have more powerful muscles, and toe jumps require a skater to push off that toe pick (ie, require more stregth), while edge jumps have to do with pulling, which some perceive as easier. I can't remember the details, though...

Kypma
    i don't know it may just be me, but i think the toeloop is easier because you essentially use your toe pick to 'vault off' the ice while, for me at least, i 'muscle' the salchow off the ice. although that may be because i have always preferred toe pick jumps (i landed a lutz much easier and earlier than the salchow).

^ But I have read that for some people toe jumps are harder because they require greater coordination among the picking foot, legs and upper body. (?)

I'll try defying gravity, you can't pull me down zephyrskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    ^ But I have read that for some people toe jumps are harder because they require greater coordination among the picking foot, legs and upper body. (?)
    i guess so. it's just a matter of preference.
    although i feel as though you need to have really strong inner thighs to pull off edge jumps (especially a salchow).