Pairs Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs Free Skate

oxade21

Match Penalty
L/H are hardly junior pairs. L is always 25(26?), she used to partner with another guy and had quite some success at words and GP during 2004/2005 season(I believe) H is much younger...

Opps, sorry I forgot.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I would not comapre V/M to M/B or L/H. V/M much more epxerienced pair and considering the partner's age they are probably skating their last Olympic cycle?? Not sure if Tatiana continues.
I think, it would be more fair to compare M/B and L/H to other junior teams for example, Bazarova and Krasilnikova. That's where the real competition will unfold starting 2010. I think at this point technically I like M/B and L/H but overall I prefer Russians who got that old-fashioned Russian training in them.
In fact, I personally prefer L/H to D/D among Canadians.
But we yet to see another good American pair N/L to skate.

McLaughlin/Brubaker are the reigning World Junior Champions and JGPF champions, and they beat Bazarova/Larionov and Krasilnikova/Bezmaternikh at every common event last year. This year, they did not meet face-to-face, but M/B won two GP silvers compared to B/L's bronze and K/B's 5th place. B/L and K/B will go to the JGPF and Junior Worlds and I am sure B/L will medal at both. Next year, Bazarova/Larionov must move up to Seniors as this is his last year of Junior eligibility. K/B still have one more year of eligibility, but can do both JGP and GP next year.

Langlois is 26 and Hay is 24. They are certainly not a 'young' team. While I consider D/D a stolid and unexciting team, I would find it hard to be an L/H fan. L/H just have never quite jelled as a pair IMO, and at times they are painful to watch.

Nari Nam/Leftheris withdrew from their GP events because she suffered a hip injury (the same type of injury that ended her singles career) and had to have surgery. I am not sure that NN/L will ever achieve their potential because Naomi is physically fragile. She has always had problems landing the throw jumps maybe because the force of the landing is hard on her vulnerable hip.

Castile/Okolski withdrew from their events because of a flareup of a chronic ankle injury that has plagued her for years. She has been unable to do triple sbs jumps because of the ankle problem, and that will keep this team out of the top echelons.

I believe the future of US pairs lies with M/B, Vise/Trent and Evora/Ladwig, as well as with Paetsch/Nuss, the 2006-2007 JGPF bronze medalists, who will move up to Seniors next year.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Nari Nam/Leftheris withdrew from their GP events because she suffered a hip injury (the same type of injury that ended her singles career) and had to have surgery. I am not sure that NN/L will ever achieve their potential because Naomi is physically fragile. She has always had problems landing the throw jumps maybe because the force of the landing is hard on her vulnerable hip.

Castile/Okolski withdrew from their events because of a flareup of a chronic ankle injury that has plagued her for years. She has been unable to do triple sbs jumps because of the ankle problem, and that will keep this team out of the top echelons.

I believe the future of US pairs lies with M/B, Vise/Trent and Evora/Ladwig, as well as with Paetsch/Nuss, the 2006-2007 JGPF bronze medalists, who will move up to Seniors next year.

NNN/T are exciting to watch but as you said their throw jumps are questionable.
I'm very impressed with V&T this season. They're getting very solid, and I agree they'll have good potential if they keep on being consistent. I like the originality of E/L and don't believe they're going anywhere. Their throw technique is fatally flawed. The guy always throws his partner leaning in the air, there's no way she can land those jumps.

I thin M&B are going to be the strongest U.S. team going forward. C/O need to get their mojo back. Their technique was pretty good at last year's nationals, but they still don't have triple jumps..