Free Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Free Dance

all that

Final Flight
Why would what a team did 2-3 years ago as Juniors be of any relevance today? They aren't doing those FDs now, they're doing the same type of stuff D/L did the last two years.

I'd like to see them show some versatility AS SENIORS.

Hmm, this quote of yours

I guess we've pretty much all missed those, since they were at the (non-televised) Junior level.

made me think you might want to see those videos, so I provided a link. I guess I was wrong.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are lots of videos out there of current skaters and teams in their latest competitions. I'd rather watch those than old Junior videos.

I'll leave the annals of V/M's distant past to their uberfans. :sheesh:

M

mylastduchess

I find it really surprising that for a team that only been to 1 Worlds so, has been criticized for not changing their style!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I find it really surprising that for a team that only been to 1 Worlds so, has been criticized for not changing their style!

But we've seen two FDs from V/M, both of the same style and feeling, and the same style/feeling of their countrymen's last two FDs. It's getting to be if it's Canadian, it's got to be schmaltz.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So since D/L used schmaltz to get on the podium, V/M feel that's the way to get there too (they haven't done so yet)?

But schmaltz did not win gold medals. The last 4 World Championships and the last OGM were won with drama and exciting, fast, bravura skating.

dfj

On the Ice
So since D/L used schmaltz to get on the podium, V/M feel that's the way to get there too (they haven't done so yet)?

But schmaltz did not win gold medals. The last 4 World Championships and the last OGM were won with drama and exciting, fast, bravura skating.

Well, if gold is only medal that matters, I guess you're right. Personally, I'd be over the moon to see Tessa & Scott take the bronze medal. They are exceptionally talented young skaters and for only two years at seniors, they are more than meeting my expectations certainly.

"Umbrellas" and "Valse Triste" is fine with me...we'll see what they bring next year.

skatingfan04

Final Flight

Do you really think that's that was the deciding factor? I've always wondered whether or not the judges were prone to liking a certain type of style over another. I honestly believe, however, that placement is based more on technique and expression of the style than the style itself. I happen to prefer 'scmaltz,' as so many people on this board call it, but I had no problem with Navka/Kostomarov's dramatic Carmen taking gold. In fact, I was rooting for them. They were both superior technitians and performers to the rest of the field (IMO). I also think that Denkova/Staviski won the last two world titles because they were generally slightly better technitians that Dubreuil/Lauzon. I don't think that At Last vs. Requium was the deciding factor. If any team wins any title, I's like to think that it was because they were the best that day, not because they picked a tango over a waltz. Just my two cents.:)

Final Flight
God forbid V&M being too dance-y in their footwork! What a ridiculous comment. You actually just complimented them there (though I doubt you realize it). :rofl:

omg! i didn't! oh no! what should i do?!

i didn't mean dancy as in "pure ballroom but with blades"
more as...oh...can't they incorporate more innovation to their (so-called) "greatness"

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
omg! i didn't! oh no! what should i do?!

i didn't mean dancy as in "pure ballroom but with blades"
more as...oh...can't they incorporate more innovation to their (so-called) "greatness"

I know a lot of peopel don't like them, and I don't want to like them either :p, but I cant help but notice that the Russians are quite excellent....I think they are going to win worlds this year....

oleada

Record Breaker
I like them too, cassieandcheetah. Don't hate, appreciate! :D
They really are quite excellent dancers. Especially her. She feels the music very well.

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
I like them too, cassieandcheetah. Don't hate, appreciate! :D
They really are quite excellent dancers. Especially her. She feels the music very well.

And appreciate I do! :love: I'm actually a Delobel/Schoenfelder (ex-Virtue/Moir) fan, but that doesn't prevent me from seeing how talented this team is. I wonder why people think they are undeserving of their wins....

oleada

Record Breaker
Well, I can understand people not liking a team's style, but denying the fact that they are talented and deserving is quite laughable and petty.

I like Delobel & Schoenfelder too - lurve the FD this year.

daisies

Rinkside
Hi! I am new, but I wanted to make a comment about V/M's FD. I am very familiar with the movie "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg" and noticed that V/M used the last lines of the movie at the very beginning of their music. It was quite jarring to me, in that, if they are telling a story, they are telling it backwards.

That is all. Glad to get that off my chest. :)

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
Hi! I am new, but I wanted to make a comment about V/M's FD. I am very familiar with the movie "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg" and noticed that V/M used the last lines of the movie at the very beginning of their music. It was quite jarring to me, in that, if they are telling a story, they are telling it backwards.

OH my god I totally felt the same too! Because weren't they the lines from the scene at the gas station? I was like, well, good thing not many people understand French...:)

daisies

Rinkside
OH my god I totally felt the same too! Because weren't they the lines from the scene at the gas station? I was like, well, good thing not many people understand French...:)
Yep, the lines from the gas station! So, really, the whole "Je t'aime, je t'aime" part makes no sense after that.

*sigh*

skatingfan04

Final Flight

Welcome, daisies!:biggrin: