Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Predictions for pairs

The Zamboni Rocks!!! sillylionlove's Avatar
    East of the Pacific, West of the Atlantic, South of Canada and North of Mexico

Predictions for pairs

Well now that we know what pairs are definitly competing...I would like to offer my predictions for pairs

1. Zhang/Zhang
    2. Pang/Tong
    3. Savchenki/Szolkowy
    4. Dube/Davison
    5. McLaughlin/Brubaker
    6. Kawaguchi/Smirnov

Custom Title
    1. Savchenko & Szolkowy
    2. Zhang & Zhang
    3. Pang & Tong
    4. Dubé and Davison
    5. Kawaguchi and Smirnov
    6. McLaughlin and Brubaker

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    1. Zhang/Zhang
    2. Pang/Tong
    3. Savchenki/Szolkowy
    4. Dube/Davison
    5. McLaughlin/Brubaker
    6. Kawaguchi/Smirnov
    I totally agree with you.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    1. zhang/zhang
    2.Savchenko & Szolkowy
    3.Pang and Tong
    4. Kawaguchi/Smirnov ( and she will land the quad)
    5.Dube/Davison
    6.Mclaughlin/Brubaker

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    1. Savchenko & Szolkowy
    2. Zhang & Zhang
    3. Pang & Tong
    4. Dubé and Davison
    5. Kawaguchi and Smirnov
    6. McLaughlin and Brubaker
    I totally agree with you!

Podium Pick

Some how, some way, Kawaguchi and Smirnov will be on the podium. JMO.

Joe

On the Ice
    I totally agree, Kawaguchi and Smirnov have this quality to them that I like. They are not your typical standard pairs couple and I think that is why I like them. If she can land the quad or if the can pick up speed I think they will medal. I have a feeling this pairs team will surprise us at the Grand Prix.

I'll try defying gravity, you can't pull me down zephyrskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by piano4112000 View Post
    I totally agree, Kawaguchi and Smirnov have this quality to them that I like. They are not your typical standard pairs couple and I think that is why I like them. If she can land the quad or if the can pick up speed I think they will medal. I have a feeling this pairs team will surprise us at the Grand Prix.
    uh-huh. and smirnov wearing kawaguchi's face on his shirt is just too cute.

Custom Title
    Sorry, K/S are slow and clunky. If they get on the GPF podium, it will be because the panel of judges is stacked in their favor, as it was at Cup of Russia, where they also had the benefit of home ice.

The Pairs podium should be Zhang/Zhang, Savchenko/Szolkowy, and Pang/Tong. Pang/Tong's scores have gotten higher with each competition, and their last effort at TEB beat K/S's inflated CoR score by more than 5 points.

Quote Originally Posted by piano4112000 View Post
    My goof. That's not what I was thinking. They will be on the podium one way or another.

Joe

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    I'd honestly be disappointed to see Kawaguchi and Smirnov on the podium because of their speed, or rather lack thereof. I saw them live at Skate Canada, and I was taken aback by how slow they were when they entered elements. I'd rather see the other teams on top... and of course, as a Canadian, I'd be overjoyed to see Jessica and Bryce on the podium!!

Kypma

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kypma View Post
    I'd honestly be disappointed to see Kawaguchi and Smirnov on the podium because of their speed, or rather lack thereof. I saw them live at Skate Canada, and I was taken aback by how slow they were when they entered elements. I'd rather see the other teams on top... and of course, as a Canadian, I'd be overjoyed to see Jessica and Bryce on the podium!!

Kypma
    They may end up there, but I don't think they should be. They're a prime example of how pairs can rack up points with their individual elements even though they seriously lack flow, speed, and an overall togetherness that a pair should have. This team's lack of speed is quite astonishing.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieandcheetah View Post
    They may end up there, but I don't think they should be. They're a prime example of how pairs can rack up points with their individual elements even though they seriously lack flow, speed, and an overall togetherness that a pair should have. This team's lack of speed is quite astonishing.
    Wow, it's amazing how differenly we can see the same thing....

The ONE thing I think D/D have is their "overall togetherness" as you put it. I find myself drawn into their story and their chemistry is so strong I feel I can almost touch it. On the other hand I can agree with people who find them somewhat slow. They need to pick up the pace a bit, but to me they are "pair skating" exemplified!

K

Custom Title
    I also think D/D are slow, their elements are lower-valued than the other teams, and their FS is soporifically boring. They do have 'pairness', but they are in a situation where they absolutely cannot make any mistakes, or they can be overtaken by faster teams with harder 'tricks', which is what happened at NHK.

I don't think D/D can challenge for the World podium in the near future unless they seriously step up their difficulty and their speed. With new Seniors McL/B and Bazirova/Larionov improving rapidly, and the two top Russian teams getting their acts together, D/D may find it tough to stay in the top 6 at Worlds 2009.

Banned
    K/S are an exotic pair, which is fun to watch...

They have lots of big tricks, quad throw, 3t+3t+SEQ... I don't believe the quality of their program is there, but they are fun to watch...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast